HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Washington Capitals (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Speculation: 2011 Capitals Roster Speculation, Thoughts, & Expectations (Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=984123)

dashtary* 09-14-2011 11:59 AM

2011 Capitals Roster Speculation, Thoughts, & Expectations (Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap)

So as we all know, there's a lot of depth in Washington and there's not very many spots to fill. A couple of young prospects are knocking on the door, and a couple veterans could lose their spots. Here are my impressions:
Don't get me wrong here, I'm sensible but probably one of the biggest Dmitri Orlov fans you can find. This kid is a meaner-clone of John Carlson with as good offensive/defensive abilities. He's going to be stud. I've been watching him for years and he's significantly improved every single one. It's rare you see a European (let alone Russian) with that talent, skill-set, smarts, physicality, toughness, & mean-streak. I've heard that he's really impressed the organization so much that they're going to give him a chance to take a roster-spot on the big club (Mcphee/GMGM said this as well). If he impresses in camp I can really see Orlov taking the roster spot of someone like a Schultz, who we can then trade and save 2 Million or so. Probably not logical however since the organization for some reason is in awe with Schultzie.

Now on-to Cody Eakin. He may have not had the best Development Camp, since he came in not in the best shape, I've heard about how great he's been at Rookie Camp. I believe that with the vacancy at 3C and the opportunity to put in a talented, grinding, two-way speedster in there opposed to a plug his chances are much better. However, he's going to be competing with Mattias Sjogren. Depending on the roster spots/space one of them could always be moved to wing if the organization wants both of them in Washington

I like Sjogren a lot, he's a big boy. When he puts all of his game together he's a two-way player who's got talent and will play physical. To be honest, Eakin, in my eyes is a more talented and high-level player, whereas Sjogren is more of a power forward some skill. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Lastly, I expect a totally different look on Offense with all of the new additions and changes, as well as a sense of insurance on probably our best Defense of this generation by far, and two great goalies. It may be crazy to say this but don't be surprised to see Alex Semin have a 50+ G 100 P+ Season. He definitely has the talent, and has been inching that pace for years but then hits an injury. This year hopefully he steps up, plays consistent, and doesn't get injured! Last but not least, I believe that we have a really new-look team. Much more energy, physicality, & toughness from the boys This is our year, Lord Stanley. Go Caps! Thoughts & Expectations?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz 09-14-2011 12:59 PM

Impostor!

BrooklynCapsFan 09-14-2011 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz (Post 36694773)
Impostor!

I was wondering what the hell was going on.

To answer the question, the only rookie I expect on the opening night roster is Sjogren. And my expectations of him are minimal to nonexistant.

Also, Semin will not score 100 points. 80ish is a decent bet, but 100 is a pipedream.

strungout 09-14-2011 01:14 PM

Oh...is this that guy??

txpd 09-14-2011 01:28 PM

the asterisk got my attention.

on orlov: i was struck by french's comments to katie where he on one hand compared him to carlson and then immediately said that his defensive game needed a lot of work and would never be his thing. to me thats not carlson. carlson is a high quality defensive defenseman that has an offensive game.

from what ive read, orlov has high end offensive skills and hits like a mo-fo, but doesnt really have a defensive game at present. say...early blaska like.

agree that only sjogren will make a healthy roster of the rookies(allowing that beagle is not considered such for this conversation). if mcphee sees his nhl defensemen as 9 players deep with orlov and mcneill as 8 and 9, i see no sign that he elevates orlov to the nhl at the cost of having to remove one of the top 7...schultz or otherwise.

the way mcphee looks at it, if is not choosing between schultz and orlov, but between schultz and collins.

NeilYoung 09-14-2011 01:32 PM

Orlov is nowhere near Carlson defensively miles behind him he's not even half as smart as him defensively. Also Semin a hundred points? Are you ****ing high? Is Eakin or Sjogrem end up as our third line center not a good sign. Laich should be on it and anchor a great shutdown line. Also don't know where you've been lately but it seems you still have your famous shiny new toy syndrome

txpd 09-14-2011 01:56 PM

semin at 100pts. i dont think its likely, but its not an unreasonable suggestion. he'd have to play 80 games. 79 pts in 62 games is certainly 100pts pace. 84pts in 73 games is within striking distance of 100pts. thats two of the past three seasons. to just dismiss it out of hand like you have to be insane to think that doesnt fit the actual record with that player.

BrooklynCapsFan 09-14-2011 02:06 PM

1. He always misses time.
2. The one time he didn't miss time, he didn't come close to 100 points.
3. He's coming off a 50, yes 50, point season.

I'm going to dismiss it out of hand.

CapitalsCupFantasy 09-14-2011 02:26 PM

Semin's worst season as a pro since his rookie year, yet we're supposed to buy into a 50/50 season from him this season?

I'll believe it's possible (not probable) when he can play anything close to 82 games in a single season. He did it two years ago when he hit 77 games and 84 pts.

hyzer23 09-15-2011 11:55 AM

orlov will for sure get his chance to grab a roster spot, but with a slightly deep d this year you have to believe he'll start the season off in hershey...that way we can bring him up whenever. AS for 3rd center, i feel as though Majo will get the nod there. Sjogren more than likely will be starting opening day, he's big and powerful and should be a good fit with the speedy johansson.

I would like to see the opening day lines look like this
ovi Nicky Brouwer
Knuble/semin Laich Knuble/semin
ChimChim Mojo Ward
Hendrix Halpern Sjogren/beagle

Hamrlik Green
Carlson Alzner
Wideman Schultz

Vokoun
Neuvirth

HSHS 09-15-2011 01:21 PM

The OP by the dude, then the unveiling of the original username was awesome. But we have to cut him some slack, its hard to be both a hockey insider and proficient in internet/computer technology at age 17.

third man in 09-15-2011 03:38 PM

Oh come on it's the 2010's easily accomplished nowadays. :sarcasm:

RandyHolt 09-15-2011 04:16 PM

hey folks i am new here, my name is brandy jolt.

For my first post, let me predict there is not a snowballs chance in hell Orlov lands a spot out of camp, more specifically, beats out one of our top 7. The only players in recent memory George has moved out to make room for a kid was Jurcina for Alzner, who he reacquired a few months later.

and -tary, welcome back. So you go to school with a McPhee heh.

txpd 09-15-2011 04:49 PM

brandy, youre a fine girl(fine girl). such a good wife you would be......

sk84fun_dc 09-15-2011 04:54 PM

Don't read for 48 hours and one misses all the fun :)

so was there temporarily a new username?

Chimaera 09-15-2011 04:57 PM

some days i miss borro.

Funkyalligator 09-15-2011 05:53 PM

Orlov has no shot of making the roster, he needs at least 1+ seasons in the AHL to work on his defensive game and learn English and also to play a lot of minutes.

Eakin has no chance to make the team...he's also got to play more minutes than he'd get on the caps besides there just isn't a spot for him.

As for semin hitting 100 pts....he could but its doubtful.....but less injury and more god mode....who knows.

thewill78 09-15-2011 09:20 PM

What do you guys think about trading Schultz+ for Josh Bailey ?

BrooklynCapsFan 09-15-2011 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc (Post 36731689)
Don't read for 48 hours and one misses all the fun :)

so was there temporarily a new username?

There was indeed a new username...and it was CapitalsCup, so it was doubly confusing.

Mr Gone 09-18-2011 08:32 PM

First off I fully believe that OV and Nick will bounce back. And BB is what he is. And there nothing more to be said about that. As for the things I would like to see but may be asking for to much.

1. I would like Green to show he can stay on the ice. At this point I don't think he can stay on the ice for a 25+ game cup run.

2. I would like Semin to turn the corner and give a more consistent effort. I would take 80% of Semin a 100% of the time. Over a 100% of Semin 40% of the time.

3. Schultz, I would like to something out of him. I would love a mean streak. I know he will never be Chara. But at least clear the net. And drop the hammer every now and then. Just so people would have to at least look over there should when he in on the ice.

4. I would like Varly to have one more season of 30 games played. Then go on to have a nice NHL career.

It stinks but I fear Varly is the only one with a real shot.

caps4cup 09-18-2011 10:41 PM

8-90-22
20-19-28
Eakin-21-42
25-15-26

44-52
27-74
4-6

Depth all through out the lineup. If mojo plays with OV there will be 2 1st line caliber lines

Govechkin 09-19-2011 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caps4cup (Post 36824441)
8-90-22
20-19-28
Eakin-21-42
25-15-26

44-52
27-74
4-6

This. If you have two actual scoring lines that both have top tier scorers, someone will get a favorable matchup. And by playing two lines like that, you can reduce shift times and total TOI which will help in back to backs and at season's close. Also, any fourth line that has two speedy grind wingers plus a veteran C is okay in my book. The problem is you are paying Laich big money to play as a PP/PK guy with somewhat limited ice time on line 3.

D looks pretty much right also, if we stay healthy and Shultz is as big as they say he is getting (plus add the grit he occasionally flashed in last year's 'offs), we should be favorites in the East.

caps4cup 09-19-2011 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Govechkin (Post 36836947)
This. If you have two actual scoring lines that both have top tier scorers, someone will get a favorable matchup. And by playing two lines like that, you can reduce shift times and total TOI which will help in back to backs and at season's close. Also, any fourth line that has two speedy grind wingers plus a veteran C is okay in my book. The problem is you are paying Laich big money to play as a PP/PK guy with somewhat limited ice time on line 3.

D looks pretty much right also, if we stay healthy and Shultz is as big as they say he is getting (plus add the grit he occasionally flashed in last year's 'offs), we should be favorites in the East.

Yeah and I think a third line of eakin-Laich-ward could be very, very good.

txpd 09-19-2011 08:58 PM

i really dont see how eakin makes the team without injuries.

Funkyalligator 09-19-2011 10:11 PM

Im pretty sure sjogren is slotted as the 3rd line center provided he can faceoff....otherwise there really wasn't a point to signing him.