HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Kvasha arbitration (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=98441)

Darth Milbury 08-17-2004 03:06 PM

Kvasha arbitration

As reported by my fellow Islander fans in the Isles forum,he was award 1.55 million.

That seems like a lot to me. He did have a career year,with 51 points. But, that is close to a 100% raise.

kasper11 08-17-2004 03:14 PM

That seems way high to me. 51 points isn't just a career high, he has never been close to that before. And it was also on just 15 goals. And he has been given opportunity on just about every line and ample power play time for the past couple of seasons. Not to mention that he has 1 goal 2 assists in 17 playoff games with the Isles, hardly stellar numbers.

Drake1588 08-17-2004 03:16 PM

That seems to be on the high end of what Islander fans were expecting... and I personally like Kvasha. Well, on his good days, at least.

Enoch 08-17-2004 03:22 PM

I'm not going to pretend that I follow the Isles very closely, nor Kvasha's performances, but 1.55 million for a player that puts up 51 points.....completely reasonable. He is below the league average, still, and he is outscoring, plus has the size to do much more than the average player.

Darth Milbury 08-17-2004 03:39 PM

I don't know. It is a bit less that Scatch got, and Kvasha has a more prominent role on the team last year.

I guess I'm reacting more to the size of the raise rather than the bottom line dollar amount. No matter how well my career goes next year, I am probably not going to get a 100% raise. There is something wrong with the process when that happens for an flawed player like Kvasha.

Enoch 08-17-2004 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
There is something wrong with the process when that happens for an flawed player like Kvasha.

Couldn't agree more.

Ice Cream Man 08-17-2004 04:10 PM

Similarily, Dean McAmmond (who can also play LW and C) made $1.5 mill last year. The year before that, he had 50 points or so.

It does seem high for Kvasha, but then again there are players similar out there to him making around the same awarded amount.

Beukeboom Fan 08-17-2004 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
I don't know. It is a bit less that Scatch got, and Kvasha has a more prominent role on the team last year.

I guess I'm reacting more to the size of the raise rather than the bottom line dollar amount. No matter how well my career goes next year, I am probably not going to get a 100% raise. There is something wrong with the process when that happens for an flawed player like Kvasha.

I think you're looking at the % increase, but the arbitrator isn't worried about this fact. They look accross the league and see what similar players (in terms of experience & production) make. Some of those players were high first round draft picks, who started out making really good money compared to undrafted FA's (like Fedentenko). When you have a guy who was a relative bargain the year before, they usually get a huge % increase in salary because the comparable all made substantially more money.

I made the same point to Sontos after the Fedetenko arbitration award (I think he made $1.5M as well).

Trottier 08-17-2004 04:56 PM

The arbitration process is terribly flawed.

Have one good season (and make no mistake, Kvasha did have a solid season), and one can hit the lottery. No need to prove it over an extended period of time in today's NHL, or professional sports, in general.

However, within the context of the current arbitration process and NHL salaries, this is not an outlandish pricetag for Kvasha, whatsoever, IMO.

Coolburn 08-17-2004 06:14 PM

Having seen him in FL, he has made huge improvements since then but still has a long way to go. If he can duplicate his numbers from last yr, then its a fair award and I think he will do that if the Isles keep giving him the icetime.

Snugglepuss 08-17-2004 06:38 PM

Kvasha hit the jackpot.

Russian_fanatic 08-17-2004 07:08 PM

*Sigh* The guy has talent, and so much potential, but from waht I hear he is real lazy.

Trottier 08-17-2004 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russian_fanatic
*Sigh* The guy has talent, and so much potential, but from waht I hear he is real lazy.

Reputation needs to catch up with reality.

Up until this past season, that was a fair tag put on the younger, immature, inexperienced Kvasha. Lazy at times, which is lazy, period.

However, as often happens with developing players, something started to click this past season. He was more aggressive, not just physically, but with the puck. Having watched him for approx. 75 games last season, he gained consistency. And, ironically, when Yashin went down, he stepped up. Was moved to center and he flourished with more ice (space) on which to maneuver.

Still needs to take it up one more notch to be considered a bonafide excellent player, but make no mistake, he was a productive player last year, at times a force, and certainly much more consistent and driven than in the past. And, given his age, still cheap pricetag, size, skills and productivity last season, would be willing to bet that he would be coveted by a lot of NHL GMs.

blitzkriegs 08-17-2004 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trottier
The arbitration process is terribly flawed.

Have one good season (and make no mistake, Kvasha did have a solid season), and one can hit the lottery. No need to prove it over an extended period of time in today's NHL, or professional sports, in general.

However, within the context of the current arbitration process and NHL salaries, this is not an outlandish pricetag for Kvasha, whatsoever, IMO.

A nice little CBA issue for the owners would be to breakdown the % award increase per arbitration player over the past 3 years.

I'm sure the avg. would be pretty shocking and a strong reason for salary escalation.

And beyond the basics (inflation, league avg., etc...) why does a player deserve a RAISE EVERY SEASON?

via arbitration, contract, qualifier, etc...

islandermaniac 08-17-2004 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blitzkriegs
why does a player deserve a RAISE EVERY SEASON?

via arbitration, contract, qualifier, etc...

bingo! i agree that this is absolutely ridiculous!

Darth Milbury 08-17-2004 10:18 PM

Quote:

Reputation needs to catch up with reality.

Up until this past season, that was a fair tag put on the younger, immature, inexperienced Kvasha. Lazy at times, which is lazy, period.

However, as often happens with developing players, something started to click this past season. He was more aggressive, not just physically, but with the puck. Having watched him for approx. 75 games last season, he gained consistency. And, ironically, when Yashin went down, he stepped up. Was moved to center and he flourished with more ice (space) on which to maneuver.

Still needs to take it up one more notch to be considered a bonafide excellent player, but make no mistake, he was a productive player last year, at times a force, and certainly much more consistent and driven than in the past. And, given his age, still cheap pricetag, size, skills and productivity last season, would be willing to bet that he would be coveted by a lot of NHL GMs.

Kvasha needs to shoot more.

I still think his future is as a high level third line guy, not a top six forward. But, we'll see.

Bird Law 08-17-2004 11:26 PM

That's just an ugly award.

Trottier 08-18-2004 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reveille
That's just an ugly award.

Really now, that's an exaggeration.

Considering a team we both know got 5 more points out of its top scoring center last season - and no playoff spot to boot - for >$7M in salary than Kvasha is making this next season, it's anything but "ugly".

Bird Law 08-18-2004 05:06 PM

Quote:

Really now, that's an exaggeration.

Considering a team we both know got 5 more points out of its top scoring center last season - and no playoff spot to boot - for >$7M in salary than Kvasha is making this next season, it's anything but "ugly".

For having 1 good season and for underachieving for most of his career... All the way to getting a near 100% raise...

To me, that's an ugly award.

Seph 08-18-2004 05:18 PM

I think the raise is excessive, but the overall price is fair.

Jeff Goldblum 08-18-2004 06:28 PM

I see no problem with that amount of money. Had he been making more previously, I doubt many would have a problem with it.

Trottier 08-19-2004 01:10 AM

Quote:

For having 1 good season and for underachieving for most of his career... All the way to getting a near 100% raise...

To me, that's an ugly award.

The system (arbitration) is ugly, not the player...nor the award. ;) :)

And many many players "underachieve" through their early 20s. It's called "inexperience and immaturity"...as well as unrealistic expectations of some fans.

Rob Paxon 08-19-2004 01:25 AM

Quote:

The system is (arbitration) is ugly, not the player...nor the award. ;) :)

Trottier made a typo... I'm calling the police :lol:

Bird Law 08-19-2004 03:11 AM

Quote:

The system (arbitration) is ugly, not the player...nor the award. ;) :)

Well, Kvasha IS pretty ugly...

Trottier 08-19-2004 03:16 AM

Quote:

Well, Kvasha IS pretty ugly...

:lol :joker: