HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Prospect Info: Good Alexander Avtsin article on Canadiens.com (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=985025)

hototogisu 09-15-2011 05:48 PM

Good Alexander Avtsin article on Canadiens.com
 
http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=588548

Talks about overcoming the language barrier, adjusting to North America, his friendship with Brendon Nash, and his expectations for next season. Seems dedicated to learning the NA game and paying his dues in Hamilton, which is always good.

habs86 09-15-2011 06:01 PM

Great short article.
Can't wait tosee him in the show.

1UP 09-15-2011 07:35 PM

Good to see the kid's happy. It's very important.

I hope Yemelin ends up the same!

68 09-15-2011 07:57 PM

A lot of people were hard on this kid because of his "bad" 1st season in the A but imagine how tough it must be for a kid to move from a continent to another to play in a new league with different gameplay/smaller rinks and at the same time to learn a new language and live without your family for the first time.

A lot of times your mood/confidence/general well-being has a big impact on your game. Once Avtsin gets more comfortable in NA I expect him to become a scoring machine in that league.

WeThreeKings 09-15-2011 07:57 PM

Time for the beast to awaken.

TheHabMan43 09-15-2011 08:15 PM

Great article. Glad he's adjusting to life in NA. I wouldn't be surprised to see 25+ goals from him this year.

AJMHABS 09-15-2011 11:01 PM

It's good to know that he is starting to adjust to the NA game. It's tough playing in another country without family and trying to learn a new language and also adjusting to the AHL is hard on a 19 year-old kid. People shouldn't be so hard on him because I think he will end surprising everyone and become something special. That takes a ton of dedication from him to want to improve, not like your supposed "typical Russian". If we develop him correctly, and if he can grow better defensively and if his passing improves, he can become our superstar forward that we have been missing since Lafleur, as he is the prospect with the most elite skill-set of our system (other than Beaulieu perhaps). I hope I don't want to sound like a homer here, but I see a lot of potential in this kid and 1-2 great seasons in the A, he can be with the Habs soon, and can do a lot for us in the future. I really like what I see from him. Some compare him to Ovechkin, I think that if we develop him right, it might not be so farfetched. Another good comparable for Avtsin IMO is probably Kovalchuk or Nash (if not good, give me a better comparable) because they are really great scorers in the NHL.

Analyzer 09-15-2011 11:09 PM

It's great. I hope he does an interview or something during the camp just to test it out.

Riddum 09-16-2011 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJMHABS (Post 36741471)
It's good to know that he is starting to adjust to the NA game. It's tough playing in another country without family and trying to learn a new language and also adjusting to the AHL is hard on a 19 year-old kid. People shouldn't be so hard on him because I think he will end surprising everyone and become something special. That takes a ton of dedication from him to want to improve, not like your supposed "typical Russian". If we develop him correctly, and if he can grow better defensively and if his passing improves, he can become our superstar forward that we have been missing since Lafleur, as he is the prospect with the most elite skill-set of our system (other than Beaulieu perhaps). I hope I don't want to sound like a homer here, but I see a lot of potential in this kid and 1-2 great seasons in the A, he can be with the Habs soon, and can do a lot for us in the future. I really like what I see from him. Some compare him to Ovechkin, I think that if we develop him right, it might not be so farfetched. Another good comparable for Avtsin IMO is probably Kovalchuk or Nash (if not good, give me a better comparable) because they are really great scorers in the NHL.

Calm down bro. A solid 30+G and 30+A-ish top 6 guy? Yeah, sure with the right development.

DogsFan* 09-16-2011 01:21 AM

I just don't think he's gonna pan out.

Habs 1909 09-16-2011 08:14 AM

Can someone please give me any reason to believe why Avtsin has the possibility of developping into a "superstar" like Ovechkin, Nash, Kovalchuk, and even Lafleur?

LePoche69 09-16-2011 08:31 AM

The article also says a lot about the type of man and teammate Nash is.

LePoche69 09-16-2011 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJMHABS (Post 36741471)
It's good to know that he is starting to adjust to the NA game. It's tough playing in another country without family and trying to learn a new language and also adjusting to the AHL is hard on a 19 year-old kid. People shouldn't be so hard on him because I think he will end surprising everyone and become something special. That takes a ton of dedication from him to want to improve, not like your supposed "typical Russian". If we develop him correctly, and if he can grow better defensively and if his passing improves, he can become our superstar forward that we have been missing since Lafleur, as he is the prospect with the most elite skill-set of our system (other than Beaulieu perhaps). I hope I don't want to sound like a homer here, but I see a lot of potential in this kid and 1-2 great seasons in the A, he can be with the Habs soon, and can do a lot for us in the future. I really like what I see from him. Some compare him to Ovechkin, I think that if we develop him right, it might not be so farfetched. Another good comparable for Avtsin IMO is probably Kovalchuk or Nash (if not good, give me a better comparable) because they are really great scorers in the NHL.

The type of talent you're describing here doesn't need AHL seasoning, no matter the language barrier. If you have that kind of talent in you, you're a good player right away in the league.

Since you ask for a comparable - which is always a tricky game to - to me, it would be Kostytsyn.

AJMHABS 09-16-2011 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UCantHandleMyRiddum (Post 36742619)
Calm down bro. A solid 30+G and 30+A-ish top 6 guy? Yeah, sure with the right development.

Yeah I got a little carried away with that one but I like what I see from him.

guest1467 09-16-2011 08:47 AM

I think a lot of people overlook him. He is one of our better prospects, and I am happy to see him committed to playing in NA.

AJMHABS 09-16-2011 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LePoche69 (Post 36746795)
The type of talent you're describing here doesn't need AHL seasoning, no matter the language barrier. If you have that kind of talent in you, you're a good player right away in the league.

Since you ask for a comparable - which is always a tricky game to - to me, it would be Kostytsyn.

Well he has the offensive talent ready for the NHL but he has to work on his defensive game a lot more though.

AJMHABS 09-16-2011 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottyG 91 (Post 36746399)
Can someone please give me any reason to believe why Avtsin has the possibility of developping into a "superstar" like Ovechkin, Nash, Kovalchuk, and even Lafleur?

Because he has the offensive talent to do so. I'm not saying that he will hit for sure, but he has a really outside chance of doing so. Those comparables were bad (Kovalchuk, Nash, Lafleur), but some say that he's like Ovechkin, and I think it might not be far off. I'm not saying that his ceiling but that's his best comparable. I see him as a 30+ goals 65+ points with the right development, with an outside chance of being a superstar (but very unlikely). I may have overhyped him, but as I said, I like what I see from him and have beeen excited to see what happens.

Ketzlaf 09-16-2011 09:46 AM

He won't play a single minute in the NHL.

Dan K 09-16-2011 09:52 AM

If you don't think Avtsin has the skills to be a star in the NHL, then you've never seen him live. The hands on this guy are unreal. He can deke with the best of them.

That said, I'm not saying he's a surefire NHL'er. He needs to get stronger / play more intensely and use his body better. He needs to work on positioning away from the puck, and defensive play. He needs to make better use of his teammates.

But if he can fix his weaknesses, there's no reason not to see a goal-scoring top 6 winger in him. Kostitsyn, Nash, and Kovalchuk are not comparables because, even if sometimes inconsistent, they can play with intensity and physicality. Avtsin may have size, but his game is pure hands right now.

11Goat11 09-16-2011 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UCantHandleMyRiddum (Post 36742619)
Calm down bro. A solid 30+G and 30+A-ish top 6 guy? Yeah, sure with the right development.

You need to post more! :naughty:

I am excited to see this guys progress this year, didn't he outscore Ovechkin when he was younger at the same age? He appears to have the skills to be a top sixer and as he gets more comfortable with the North American ice I think he will excel.

Also it's great to hear about Nash and his teammates in Hamilton helping him out, I like Nash and think he has a future in the organization.

neofury* 09-16-2011 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJMHABS (Post 36741471)
It's good to know that he is starting to adjust to the NA game. It's tough playing in another country without family and trying to learn a new language and also adjusting to the AHL is hard on a 19 year-old kid. People shouldn't be so hard on him because I think he will end surprising everyone and become something special. That takes a ton of dedication from him to want to improve, not like your supposed "typical Russian". If we develop him correctly, and if he can grow better defensively and if his passing improves, he can become our superstar forward that we have been missing since Lafleur, as he is the prospect with the most elite skill-set of our system (other than Beaulieu perhaps). I hope I don't want to sound like a homer here, but I see a lot of potential in this kid and 1-2 great seasons in the A, he can be with the Habs soon, and can do a lot for us in the future. I really like what I see from him. Some compare him to Ovechkin, I think that if we develop him right, it might not be so farfetched. Another good comparable for Avtsin IMO is probably Kovalchuk or Nash (if not good, give me a better comparable) because they are really great scorers in the NHL.

This. When I see players like PK and Eller among others, I see the type of dedication they have and how seriously they take getting better, making it in the NHL, being a good player. I know with the motivation and dedication those types of players have that with the talent they have they will go far and thus far Avtsin is no exception to the rule. Time will obviously tell if he cracks or not. Thus far he has a great attitude and it just goes to show why we had problems in the past with player development. We were going after talent but character and determination were often overlooked assets. Now that we're drafting players that have a tremendous amount of dedication it's no surprise we're seeing the upside. Subban is just the tip of the ice berg imo. With Price, Pacioretty, and now maybe even Avtsin who knows where this team will be down the line.

I like the direction the team is heading in with our choices.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LePoche69 (Post 36746795)
The type of talent you're describing here doesn't need AHL seasoning, no matter the language barrier. If you have that kind of talent in you, you're a good player right away in the league.

Since you ask for a comparable - which is always a tricky game to - to me, it would be Kostytsyn.

Not true unless we're talking generational talents like Crosby, Ovechkin, etc. If we're talking stars then you're wrong as a lot of them need 1-3 years in the AHL and even start off slow in the NHL, is Lars Eller going to be a career 40pt guy? Who knows I guess, but I'm doubting it's all but guaranteed that he can't be a star. Plenty of players who take time to develop in the AHL become stars or even superstars. Generational talents and very high end superstars i.e. drafted first overall are pretty much the only kinds that don't require AHL seasoning(Or KHL/SEL/etc). Nobody said Avtsin wasn't a project, if he weren't he would have been drafted in the first round. He's still quite young though and playing in a mans league. I can't really judge a kid who isn't physically mature playing in a mans league. To me where you start judging Avtsin is by his play at the end of this season and all of next. This year was a huge adjustment and like I said he was a kid playing in a mans sport. Considering his ice time, where he was in the line up, etc... his points weren't terrible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 (Post 36747011)
I think a lot of people overlook him. He is one of our better prospects, and I am happy to see him committed to playing in NA.

This. 19 year old's with barely a taste of KHL don't just show up to the AHL after having mostly played junior in Russia and start scoring goals all over the place on the 4th line. He's overlooked because of that, people expected a 40+ point season out of him and that just wasn't realistic. This year it's possible and if he pulls it off I expect him to build on that by next year and by then he should at least be a top player in Hamilton. He's a project, he's young and he needs time. Ovechkin is the exception not the rule and need I remind people it doesn't take much to go from being PK Subban in Belleville to PK Subban in Hamilton and subsequently Montreal. When a player is talented, dedicated and motivated anything can happen with their development. We just need to give him some time to adapt and I'm sure he'll be fine. Not saying I guarantee anything but this season isn't close to enough to say he's a bust.

Habs 4 Life 09-16-2011 11:10 AM

Very happy that he understands what it takes to get to the NHL and he is dedicated to work in the AHL for a few years which is very rare for a Russian to accept that

bcv 09-16-2011 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 11Goat11 (Post 36750119)
You need to post more! :naughty:

I am excited to see this guys progress this year, didn't he outscore Ovechkin when he was younger at the same age? He appears to have the skills to be a top sixer and as he gets more comfortable with the North American ice I think he will excel.

Also it's great to hear about Nash and his teammates in Hamilton helping him out, I like Nash and think he has a future in the organization.

Yes, he did outscore him. But Ovechkin was 16 and Avtsin was 18. And it was by something like 3 points.

LePoche69 09-16-2011 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neofury (Post 36750381)
This. When I see players like PK and Eller among others, I see the type of dedication they have and how seriously they take getting better, making it in the NHL, being a good player. I know with the motivation and dedication those types of players have that with the talent they have they will go far and thus far Avtsin is no exception to the rule. Time will obviously tell if he cracks or not. Thus far he has a great attitude and it just goes to show why we had problems in the past with player development. We were going after talent but character and determination were often overlooked assets. Now that we're drafting players that have a tremendous amount of dedication it's no surprise we're seeing the upside. Subban is just the tip of the ice berg imo. With Price, Pacioretty, and now maybe even Avtsin who knows where this team will be down the line.

I like the direction the team is heading in with our choices.



Not true unless we're talking generational talents like Crosby, Ovechkin, etc. If we're talking stars then you're wrong as a lot of them need 1-3 years in the AHL and even start off slow in the NHL, is Lars Eller going to be a career 40pt guy? Who knows I guess, but I'm doubting it's all but guaranteed that he can't be a star. Plenty of players who take time to develop in the AHL become stars or even superstars. Generational talents and very high end superstars i.e. drafted first overall are pretty much the only kinds that don't require AHL seasoning(Or KHL/SEL/etc). Nobody said Avtsin wasn't a project, if he weren't he would have been drafted in the first round. He's still quite young though and playing in a mans league. I can't really judge a kid who isn't physically mature playing in a mans league. To me where you start judging Avtsin is by his play at the end of this season and all of next. This year was a huge adjustment and like I said he was a kid playing in a mans sport. Considering his ice time, where he was in the line up, etc... his points weren't terrible.



This. 19 year old's with barely a taste of KHL don't just show up to the AHL after having mostly played junior in Russia and start scoring goals all over the place on the 4th line. He's overlooked because of that, people expected a 40+ point season out of him and that just wasn't realistic. This year it's possible and if he pulls it off I expect him to build on that by next year and by then he should at least be a top player in Hamilton. He's a project, he's young and he needs time. Ovechkin is the exception not the rule and need I remind people it doesn't take much to go from being PK Subban in Belleville to PK Subban in Hamilton and subsequently Montreal. When a player is talented, dedicated and motivated anything can happen with their development. We just need to give him some time to adapt and I'm sure he'll be fine. Not saying I guarantee anything but this season isn't close to enough to say he's a bust.

Well, Ovechkin and Lafleur were quote by the poster. They are both generational talent.

Kovalchuk and Nash are maybe not generational talent, but both are futur Hall Of Fame candidates.

I respect your view guys, but to think Avtsin has that type of skill is... well I don't know what to say.

With that kind of talent, Avtsin would have done a lot better in teh AHL, even at 19 years old. Nash and Kovalchuk did better than that at 18 in the NHL.

WeThreeKings 09-16-2011 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LePoche69 (Post 36753385)
Well, Ovechkin and Lafleur were quote by the poster. They are both generational talent.

Kovalchuk and Nash are maybe not generational talent, but both are futur Hall Of Fame candidates.

I respect your view guys, but to think Avtsin has that type of skill is... well I don't know what to say.

With that kind of talent, Avtsin would have done a lot better in teh AHL, even at 19 years old. Nash and Kovalchuk did better than that at 18 in the NHL.

We're talking about a 4th round pick here. If he becomes a 20-30-50 player in the NHL. That's a ****ing steal.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:53 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.