HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   ECHL and other Minor Pro Leagues (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   New Hockey Movie: "Goon" (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=985307)

SFTC Addict 09-16-2011 07:11 AM

New Hockey Movie: "Goon"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7z1ezk3kTg

This looks interesting.

Steelhead16 09-16-2011 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green Men Rule (Post 36745603)

Not sure I buy Seann William Scott in this but Jay Baruchel is probably the biggest actor/hockey fan out there.

The fact that he is wearing #69 makes me leary of this being remotely legit. Nobody, especially a tough guy would ever wear that number. I like KIm Coates a lot and I am hoping that he is a guy that wouldn't pick a piece of crap to do but you never know.

Johnny8242 09-16-2011 11:04 AM

Is this movie based on a book? I've heard it was. It really looks awful in my opinion. I'll probably watch it but so far it looks incredibly corny.

CapitalsCupFantasy 09-16-2011 11:08 AM

Should have called it Enforcer...Goon...not a fan.

SFTC Addict 09-16-2011 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny8242 (Post 36750343)
Is this movie based on a book? I've heard it was. It really looks awful in my opinion. I'll probably watch it but so far it looks incredibly corny.

Yeah. I think it was also called Goon? But yeah it is based off a book.

adsfan 09-16-2011 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green Men Rule (Post 36752227)
Yeah. I think it was also called Goon? But yeah it is based off a book.

Book titles get changed all the time for movies. Six Days of the Condor became Three Days of the Condor with Robert Redford in the starring role. The director wanted to compact the action of the book. The Executioners became Cape Fear, The Short Timers became Full Metal Jacket, Heart of Darkness became Apocalypse Now, The Body became Stand By Me. I can't remember the book for Die Hard.

Clint Eastwood made a movie in the late 70s called The Enforcer, but movie titles get recycled all of the time.

SFTC Addict 09-16-2011 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adsfan (Post 36763629)
Book titles get changed all the time for movies. Six Days of the Condor became Three Days of the Condor with Robert Redford in the starring role. The director wanted to compact the action of the book. The Executioners became Cape Fear, The Short Timers became Full Metal Jacket, Heart of Darkness became Apocalypse Now, The Body became Stand By Me. I can't remember the book for Die Hard.

Clint Eastwood made a movie in the late 70s called The Enforcer, but movie titles get recycled all of the time.

So, do you know the title of the book? If you find out let me know...

arlingtonway 09-16-2011 11:42 PM

the book is called Goon... (LINK)

SFTC Addict 09-17-2011 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arlingtonway (Post 36769645)
the book is called Goon... (LINK)

Thought so. WOW. Thats pricey for a book. Hopefully after the hype of the movie it goes wayyyyy down.

LadyStanley 09-17-2011 02:15 AM

Amazon tells me I bought that book three years ago (so it must be on the shelf). I don't recall it being that much, so the price could have gone up.

SFTC Addict 09-17-2011 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyStanley (Post 36771209)
Amazon tells me I bought that book three years ago (so it must be on the shelf). I don't recall it being that much, so the price could have gone up.

Is the book any good? Other people were talking about it yesterday in various places...I don't read books that much but even if I did I don't think I would pay $91 bucks for it. Not so hot on buying used things I admit.

Gibbie42 09-18-2011 01:11 PM

It's pricey because it's being offered by independent sellers and not by Amazon. One of them thinks they can get that much for it. Looks like it was self published to begin with, probably why Amazon doesn't have it. That or it's out of print completely.

SFTC Addict 09-18-2011 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gibbie42 (Post 36805133)
It's pricey because it's being offered by independent sellers and not by Amazon. One of them thinks they can get that much for it. Looks like it was self published to begin with, probably why Amazon doesn't have it. That or it's out of print completely.

Wish it was in a book store. I would love to get a non used copy. Lol

LadyStanley 09-30-2011 12:05 PM

My PB copy was ~$9 years ago. :dunno:

About 6 chapters in, through first year of Doug "The Thug" Smith's pro career.

Essentially his raisin d'etre was fighting (on skates). That's all he wanted to do.

Talks about how he came to that decision, how he studied/researched opponents, and some of his fights.

Talks about "how things were" in the minor league (salary, rooming situations, food $$, the cash bonuses for fighting, etc.).

Definitely a "prequel" to The Code (a book on the "unwritten" code that the players like to follow).

PuckNerd 11-04-2011 09:03 PM

SWS was going to play the lead in Kevin Smith's hockey movie "Hit Somebody" based off the Warren Zevon song which is technically also an enforcer movie, but SWS went with this movie because it was being filmed sooner. Now Kevin's movie has turned into 2 movies, I really can't wait for his.

thug23 11-05-2011 01:53 PM

Guys, The movie "GOON" is loosely based on the book GOON which is a true story.
Hollywood actor Jay Baruchel and movie producer Jesse Shapira had both read the book which was published back in 2001 and liked it so much they bought the option from the owners (Doug Smith & Adam Frattasio) and developed a script around some of the stories from the book.
The movie is not an autobiography about Doug Smith but a comedy about a similar character who finds his way onto a minor league hockey team as a fighter.
I will say that some of the movie clips that are floating around on the internet do not do the film viewed in full any justice...the movie as a whole is actulally pretty dam good. It has a lot of legit former NHL players & fighters staring in it and numerous "Class A" Hollywood actors involved in key roles.
The book itself has since been "out of print" due to the option being bought out which is why you find the price so high. Either companies that still had copies are taking advantage of the "supply & demand" factor or you can buy a used copy from Amazon.Com for a lot cheaper.
Smith & Frattasio have a second edition to the book with more stories and behind the scenes situations which should also make for a good read. I expect that edition to be available after the first of the year.
The movie GOON is scheduled for world-wide release in January 2012.

*Note to all you hockey purists...
This movie is typical Hollywood and is a comedy and not a true professional hockey fighers life ...so keep that in mind when you decide to bash it because it wasn't legit enough for you.:naughty:

MartysBetter 11-06-2011 09:09 PM

lol @ $140 new now, were people actually buying it at $100 so this price increase is S/D related or is this really arbitrary/a computer error? Was interested in reading it but unless this is a leather bound 4 volume set I can't imagine that is a reasonable price.

Edit: one seller is asking $140 the other is asking $290, does anyone really want this paperback that badly?

LadyStanley 11-06-2011 10:12 PM

And I paid about $10 for it a couple of years ago.

Guess because of the movie, there's more demand.

Time to check out your local used book store?

doug5984 11-07-2011 03:40 PM

Just saw on ebay that they're are a few going for the ~$35 range. I'd like to read this book, but I'll wait it out and hope prices come back down some.

kovultrick 08-21-2012 08:36 PM

not to drudge this up but i just watched the movie and give a thumbs down, its good to watch a hockey movie but is not good hockey or a good movie.

my gf is a librarian so maybe ill look up the book but has anyone watched "les chiefs"?

and wasnt there another similar movie coming out with a similar theme?

thanks,two thumbs down.

pelts35.com 08-23-2012 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kovultrick (Post 53762837)
not to drudge this up but i just watched the movie and give a thumbs down, its good to watch a hockey movie but is not good hockey or a good movie.

my gf is a librarian so maybe ill look up the book but has anyone watched "les chiefs"?

and wasnt there another similar movie coming out with a similar theme?

thanks,two thumbs down.

I actually watched Goon followed by Les Chiefs. Les Chiefs is interesting, but kind of sad at the same time.

greyraven8 11-11-2012 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steelhead16 (Post 36748273)
Not sure I buy Seann William Scott in this but Jay Baruchel is probably the biggest actor/hockey fan out there.

The fact that he is wearing #69 makes me leary of this being remotely legit. Nobody, especially a tough guy would ever wear that number. I like KIm Coates a lot and I am hoping that he is a guy that wouldn't pick a piece of crap to do but you never know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mel_Angelstad

tyban 11-13-2012 03:44 AM

I loved it. It's funny as hell.

steelerfan* 11-13-2012 03:46 AM

:laugh: funny

Dakota Sioux 11-13-2012 07:13 AM

Ashamed to be a hockey fan after watching that garbage. Top 5 in worse movies I have witnessed.