HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   An interesting tidbit from Spector's Trade Rumours (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=98579)

FlyersProspect2 08-18-2004 12:21 PM

An interesting tidbit from Spector's Trade Rumours

THE LATEST FLYERS NEWS.

DELAWARE COUNTY TIMES: Rob Parent reports Philadelphia Flyers GM Bob Clarke denied throwing out Jeremy Roenick's name in trade talks earlier this summer. Clarke said Roenick's outspokeness and his recent investigation for gambling hasn't affect the centre's status with the club nor does it bother him. Clarke also said there wouldn't be any further personnel changes with his team until after September 15th, the expiration date of the current CBA. He won't make another offer to centre Alexei Zhamnov until then, and while denying making an offer to defenceman Vladimir Malakhov, Clarke said he's interested in bringing him back to Philly.

Spector's Note: Of course, given Clarke's track record for saying one thing and doing another, he could trade Roenick tomorrow and re-sign Zhamnov and Malakhov...

Like Spector said, Clarke could be up to something or we might not see anything new until after Spetember 15th. Unforchunetly, things have no hope. This is coming from some one who thought there would be something in place before the 15th. Atleast the Falcons wont have to worry about any call ups because of injury. :(

GKJ 08-18-2004 01:30 PM

is there a link from the DE Co. Times anywhere

FlyersProspect2 08-18-2004 02:15 PM

This should do it

Link

Dr Love 08-18-2004 03:26 PM

The trade rumors going around about Roenick are because A) his contract stipulates that this offseason he was to submit a list of 10 teams he would accept a trade to, B) his comments on the radio about Phoenix, and C) the Flyers letting loose (or being set to let loose) a bunch of veterans. They're nothing more than rumors.

FlyHigh 08-18-2004 04:09 PM

Even with Clarke always contradicting himself, it's worrisome that Zhamnov might not be back with the Flyers.

FearTheFlyers 08-18-2004 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyHigh
Even with Clarke always contradicting himself, it's worrisome that Zhamnov might not be back with the Flyers.

I agree, I think he needs to be brought back.

Cuiff 08-19-2004 08:14 AM

Quote:

I rather see him go. I like the team as it is now, with YOUTH!!!

flyersrock1 08-19-2004 09:38 PM

Youth will be needed if there is a cap. Need those low paychecks. But Zammer would be missed.

John Flyers Fan 08-19-2004 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cuiffitelli

If there is a lockout that youth (Carter and Richards) will be going back to Jr's.

FlyHigh 08-19-2004 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cuiffitelli

There are countless examples of guys being pushed into pressure roles too soon and crashing and burning. For every Joe Thornton, there's 10 Daigles.

renberg 08-20-2004 09:27 AM

Just how many teams are going to pony up big time money for a center who has a history of back problems and is 31+ years old? Maybe Toronto but after that the line gets slim. Zhamnov will be hard pressed to get a better offer than the one that the Flyers gave to him. As much as he did last year while he was with the Flyers, I can see him signing and then spending most of his time in the trainer's room. He is a risky gamble.

FlyHigh 08-20-2004 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by renberg
Just how many teams are going to pony up big time money for a center who has a history of back problems and is 31+ years old? Maybe Toronto but after that the line gets slim. Zhamnov will be hard pressed to get a better offer than the one that the Flyers gave to him. As much as he did last year while he was with the Flyers, I can see him signing and then spending most of his time in the trainer's room. He is a risky gamble.

Once again, reputation gets in the way of facts. In 12 NHL seasons, Zhamnov has played more than 60 games 9 times. He's injured a bit more than most people, but it's not horribly bad, I don't view signing him as that much of a risk. More like a gain.

Jester 08-20-2004 10:48 AM

I would explore trading Roenick if I was Clarke, but it would have to be the right deal in return obviously. The guy is a major financial problem if a hard cap is set down on us, and you are definitely better off with smaller contracts under a cap, that contract is slightly strangling.

If he could get a NHL player in return, prospects or picks, and assure himself of re-signing Zhamnov I think that would be a great trade by Clarke. You'd have Zhamnov, Zeus, Primeau, and one of the assorted group that could play 4th line center... another NHL player and some more youth to bring in down the road... plus the bonus of some financial flexibility.

Flyers26 08-20-2004 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
If there is a lockout that youth (Carter and Richards) will be going back to Jr's.

Exactly what Hitch said at the meeting on Monday, that if there is a lockout, because of their age/contracts, they would have to go back to their junior teams.

GoneFullHextall 08-21-2004 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan

ok so my question is say an agreement is reached by say the end of october. carter and richards are allready back in juniors they would have to stay there for the season right?
i also think junior hockey training camps start up very soon which could mean we may not see them at al until 05-06

stanley 08-29-2004 12:42 AM

Quote:

More like a gain.

Big time. He's not a gamble at all. He's as close to a known quantity as one could get, particularly since we've all seen what he looks like in the Flyer lineup. In my opinion, he was one of the best deadline/mid-season acquisitions the organization has ever made.

I like what we've seen of the young guys so far, but if I'm an opposing team coming into Philadelphia, I'd much rather see Carter and Richards on the roster than Zhamnov. The young guys will have their time, maybe even this season, but Zhamnov is just too good now to wish him out to the corn field.

Please don't wish him into the corn field just yet, Anthony.

The Seeker 25 08-30-2004 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanley
Big time. He's not a gamble at all. He's as close to a known quantity as one could get, particularly since we've all seen what he looks like in the Flyer lineup. In my opinion, he was one of the best deadline/mid-season acquisitions the organization has ever made.

Totally agreed, stan.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanley
Please don't wish him into the corn field just yet, Anthony.

Why, that would be good.....that would be REAL good if he didn't wish him into the cornfield......

stanley 08-30-2004 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Seeker 25
Why, that would be good.....that would be REAL good if he didn't wish him into the cornfield......

Careful, you're dating yourself right along with me!

I need some hip references.