HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Islanders (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   2011-12 Around the League Discussion (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=986003)

Homeland Security 09-17-2011 03:49 PM

2011-12 Around the League Discussion

New season, new thread.

luki here 09-21-2011 02:57 AM

when does regular season start, preseason end? when they go to europe?

stupid question i know, but nhl.com didnt clarify that one for me...

Chapin Landvogt 09-21-2011 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lukasfindl (Post 36904031)
when does regular season start, preseason end? when they go to europe?

stupid question i know, but nhl.com didnt clarify that one for me...

I know I'll be attending a preseason game on Oct. 4th in Hamburg and then a regular season game on Oct. 8th in Berlin.

I think the 7th or 8th is first official game day.

luki here 09-21-2011 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt (Post 36904359)
I know I'll be attending a preseason game on Oct. 4th in Hamburg and then a regular season game on Oct. 8th in Berlin.

I think the 7th or 8th is first official game day.

cheers :D

Bunk Moreland 09-26-2011 02:45 PM

From Bob Mckenzie:

Quote:

MTL signs free-agent defenceman Chris Campoli to a one year deal worth $1.75M.
I guess the rumors of him going to the rags fell thru

MTK 09-27-2011 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turnpike Terrors (Post 37120737)
From Bob Mckenzie:

I guess the rumors of him going to the rags fell thru

wonder if Markov is still hurt

Chapin Landvogt 09-29-2011 09:18 AM

Boy, I just get a kick out of how much limelight 2011 No. 7 overall pick Mark Scheifele has been getting this preseason, particularly on TSN.

I think he's also been handling the press pretty well too.

Check out my short interview with him during the U18:
http://hockeysfuture.hockeysfuture.c...heifele-280109

Seeing him now, it's like he grew up 2 years within 5 months.

MTK 10-04-2011 11:39 AM

Blair Betts supposed to get waived today. He is someone I would want on our 4th line as well as PK unit.

TheBoss22 10-04-2011 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt (Post 37236779)
Boy, I just get a kick out of how much limelight 2011 No. 7 overall pick Mark Scheifele has been getting this preseason, particularly on TSN.

I think he's also been handling the press pretty well too.

Check out my short interview with him during the U18:
http://hockeysfuture.hockeysfuture.c...heifele-280109

Seeing him now, it's like he grew up 2 years within 5 months.

He has been awesome!! At first, I was disappointed the Jets didn't draft one of the more "hyped" kids. But watching all the top 10 picks this preseason. He's right up there with RNH. Has a good frame, and once he fills out, can be the steal of the draft.

bossy22 10-04-2011 10:33 PM

Nice to see Trent sign with the Kings. Always admired his effort.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?...hunter-9894450

Chapin Landvogt 10-05-2011 06:59 AM

Saw Trent agains the Freezers last night. Still looked like he's getting used to the system there. Was kind of all over the place a couple of times. He looked like he was skating well though, even if his style cannot be missed.

seafoam 10-05-2011 07:05 PM

I started a thread on the Hurricanes board comparing Strome this year a Skinner last year. Can provide some answers if you guys wanna check out! Thanks

Chapin Landvogt 10-06-2011 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaStromey (Post 37501733)
I started a thread on the Hurricanes board comparing Strome this year a Skinner last year. Can provide some answers if you guys wanna check out! Thanks

I haven't visited the thread, but to be clear:
Skinner had an EXCEPTIONAL rookie season. That rarely happens. He seemed to be in the perfect position. Before being drafted, everyone said the kid could flatout score.

Considering his rookie year was better than Stamkos' and Hall's, the chances of either Strome or Niederreiter coming close are minimal at best.

Strome has MUCH to work on (although I'm reallyyyyyyyyy hoping he's a future Lafontaine) and Niederreiter plays the type of powerforward game that first seems to shine after several years in the NHL.

I see no Skinners on LI this season.

CodeE 10-10-2011 06:26 PM

Haha Chef Bruno just got a goal on Vokoun. Does it make anyone else laugh the Lightning are considered Cup Contenders when one of their NHL defensive pairings is Marc-Andre Bergeron - Bruno Gervais?

nyisles 10-10-2011 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CodeE (Post 37742359)
Haha Chef Bruno just got a goal on Vokoun. Does it make anyone else laugh the Lightning are considered Cup Contenders when one of their NHL defensive pairings is Marc-Andre Bergeron - Bruno Gervais?

TB is like the Isles' superior cousin... they're gonna be relying heavily on their offensive firepower and goaltending because the defense is pretty suspect. You're giving regular D shifts to guys that lottery NYI teams couldn't wait to get rid of, and now it sounds like Ohlund could be out for awhile so those two will see even more ice. Another injury or two and Roloson might start filling out his retirement paperwork.

Also, anyone else feel Pierre McGuire is the most obnoxious color guy in the league? The guy's always shouting over his broadcast partner, and he just had a buffoon-gasm because he realized Washington was getting a penalty for too many men :dunce:

Chapin Landvogt 10-13-2011 04:41 PM

I gotta get something off my chest. I've been to several DEL games here in Germany this season and fact is, the guys just aren't checking anymore. They stand two feet away from the opponent and stickcheck. They just don't dare touch anyone.

Two reasons for this:
1) Refs are giving you 2 minutes for breathing on a guy.
2) Anything slightly interpreted as a hit towards the head is earning fines and suspensions.

Just this week, the following happened. You look and decide.

This earned a 4 game suspension and 1200 € fine in the DEL:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB_ra...ature=youtu.be

This earned a 4 game suspension and 11'000 crown fine in the SEL:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZF_Z70ZAZg

I can see a ref giving these guys a penalty (in Madsen's case for sure, perhaps interference: Rankel's hit was just good ol' time hockey), but 4 game suspensions and fines??? Puhhhhhleaseeeeeeeeeeee!

It's out of control.... and these leagues are simply following Shanahan's examples.

Who do these decision makers think they are - they've stolen my game!!!

Watching some of the calls around the NHL nowadays, I'm getting mighty scared that it's headed in the same direction as some of these 'don't touch opponent' leagues over here.

Mundy 10-19-2011 02:40 AM

One sick goal Benn scored against the Jackets :amazed:

Homeland Security 10-19-2011 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Comet Kid (Post 38141491)
One sick goal Benn scored against the Jackets :amazed:

Nice goal!

redbull 10-19-2011 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct (Post 38144385)
Nice goal!

wouldn't happen if Martinek was on the ice ;)

what a bad team Columbus is, they seem to do everything wrong. They spent so much money in the offseason, brought in some good players, they have Ryan Johansson (another lottery pick) on the team and a lot of young players.

Seems like they have young players where they need vets and suffer from young players that simply aren't good enough or aren't ready. PLUS they are at $63M cap hit.

Oh, and Wiz makes the same money as Tavares.

I know I am tough on Snow for not bringing in proper NHL talent but I'd HATE to have spent that kind of money on those kinds of players. ouch.

Mason was stellar in his rookie year - looks awful now.

Kevin27nyi 10-19-2011 10:24 AM

God, the Columbus effort level in that play is non existant. It's no wonder they don't have a win.

TheBoss22 10-19-2011 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redbull (Post 38146933)
wouldn't happen if Martinek was on the ice ;)

what a bad team Columbus is, they seem to do everything wrong. They spent so much money in the offseason, brought in some good players, they have Ryan Johansson (another lottery pick) on the team and a lot of young players.

Seems like they have young players where they need vets and suffer from young players that simply aren't good enough or aren't ready. PLUS they are at $63M cap hit.

Oh, and Wiz makes the same money as Tavares.

I know I am tough on Snow for not bringing in proper NHL talent but I'd HATE to have spent that kind of money on those kinds of players. ouch.

Mason was stellar in his rookie year - looks awful now.

The player the Islanders targeted. There's word that Johannson may be sent down after 9 games. If he goes, I'm all for Nino going back as well.

Bunk Moreland 10-19-2011 11:17 PM

Brayden schenn was called up by flyers today very interested to see how this kid does considering if he lives up to the hype we'll be seeing him for a long time.

http://i.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=378453

Kevin27nyi 10-20-2011 09:14 AM

A lot of good games on tonight between the Isles game, Philly-Caps and Rags-Flames.

MTK 10-24-2011 08:55 PM

Jagr had a great game tonight. 2g 1a

Riseonfire 10-24-2011 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTK (Post 38429163)
Jagr had a great game tonight. 2g 1a

Can't help but think he would be AWESOME along side JT.