HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Hockey glove too loose (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=986655)

Wilch 09-19-2011 01:17 AM

Hockey glove too loose

I ordered a pair of hockey gloves (Warrior Koncept 14') and they were too loose. My middle and index fingers always seem to slip back a bit, and as a result I'm getting blisters.

Ideally, I'd like to return my gloves back to the store, but I'm in China right now, and shipping is expensive and probably not worth it in the end. Is there any way to deal with this? Or should I just cut my losses and get another pair?

EDIT:

Also, does everyone here wear their skate guards around? Even on the rubber flooring? I got the cloth one and I'm not too sure if I can work around with that one.

iamjs 09-19-2011 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilch (Post 36826411)
I ordered a pair of hockey gloves (Warrior Koncept 14') and they were too loose. My middle and index fingers always seem to slip back a bit, and as a result I'm getting blisters.

Ideally, I'd like to return my gloves back to the store, but I'm in China right now, and shipping is expensive and probably not worth it in the end. Is there any way to deal with this? Or should I just cut my losses and get another pair?

EDIT:

Also, does everyone here wear their skate guards around? Even on the rubber flooring? I got the cloth one and I'm not too sure if I can work around with that one.

Cut losses. You could risk losing them in the mail on top of overpaying for shipping.

no guards.

Wilch 09-19-2011 07:40 AM

Actually, I just found out a way to fix it. I think the wrist area is too loose, that's why my fingers keep slipping back. I strapped on a shin strap on the wrist of each glove and found that it kept things in place. Phew, that saved me some serious cash

AIREAYE 09-19-2011 11:11 AM

Did you ever try using 13" gloves Wilch?

RE the guards; ideally yeah they should be on if you're off the ice.

Wilch 09-19-2011 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AIREAYE (Post 36831827)
Did you ever try using 13" gloves Wilch?

RE the guards; ideally yeah they should be on if you're off the ice.

I haven't, the LHS here don't offer many senior stuff so I really had to guess what my size is when ordering online. This shin-strap on glove is really a temporary fix, I'm looking to visit the LHS when I get back to Vancouver in a few months.

And ok, I'll keep that in mind and try and wear my guards next time. Thanks!

Stickmata 09-19-2011 07:47 PM

No guards on the rubber flooring.

And as far as gloves go, my experience trying on literally hundreds of gloves is that they all fit differently, so you need to try them on in the store if at all possible. Not just by brand, but by actual glove. I have two pairs of Easton 14" gloves, the S11 and the S17, and they both fit differently and they both broke in differently. The S11 fits me great, the S17 doesn't.

AIREAYE 09-19-2011 08:45 PM

It could be the differences in padding that cause you to notice a difference in fit between the S11 and S17; seeing as they are both anatomically fitted gloves.

Which generation of the S11 did you try on (ie. was there an S11 logo on the knuckles)? The older Easton Stealth gloves from 2007 and back had a more traditional boxy fit whereas anything after that evolved into the anatomical fit you see nowadays.

Stickmata 09-20-2011 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AIREAYE (Post 36852011)
It could be the differences in padding that cause you to notice a difference in fit between the S11 and S17; seeing as they are both anatomically fitted gloves.

Which generation of the S11 did you try on (ie. was there an S11 logo on the knuckles)? The older Easton Stealth gloves from 2007 and back had a more traditional boxy fit whereas anything after that evolved into the anatomical fit you see nowadays.

The S17s were the last year they made them, which I think was a 2010 model and the S11's were either the 2010 or 2011 model. I bought them both a little over a year ago. The S17s started out as the most comfortable glove I've ever worn, but they quickly stretched out and got loose, to the point that if I got hit hard with a hand off my stick the glove would literally fly off. Tried the S11's. They stayed very tight. Downside is that the palm on my left glove is totally worn through on three of the fingers in a year and I'm looking for new gloves. And I dry them out after every skate. They were cheap though.

I've gone into a local store recently and tried on the S11 and the S19 back to back and they fit differently. Not a huge difference, but they're not the same. The S11 is definately a tighter glove, particularly in the thumb.

Crosbyfan 09-22-2011 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilch (Post 36826411)

EDIT:

Yeah, the cloth ones are not for walking around in.

bigbadbruins1 09-23-2011 10:57 PM

the glove issue is most likely a matter of personal preference. I wear 13" but based on the measurements I should wear a 15". also, the style of the glove plays a huge part. I wear Warrior Koncept gloves and they fit a lot tighter than the Warrior franchise model.
If you buy online a lot, I highly reccomend stopping at a local hockey store and finding your fit/ size before ordering anything.

Wilch 09-24-2011 12:42 AM

Would've loved to do that, but like I said, I'm in China. No such thing as LHS here :(

Well, there is, but they sell the Made in China brands, which presumably fits differently from the US/Euro brands. Not like they'll have the right size for me anyway.

jorbjorb 09-26-2011 10:41 AM

i'm 5'7 height. i use s11 13" used to use 14" and they were always a "loose fit" i liked that it covered more of my forearm area. Switching to 13" was great as the fit was better giving me better control with my stickhandling. cheers