HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Shanahan releases video regarding new rules (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=988391)

Blueline Bomber 09-21-2011 06:01 PM

Shanahan releases video regarding new rules

http://podcasts.nhl.com/ops/2011_Player_Safety_DVD.mp4

The video clips should clear up a lot of the "dirty" hits that get posted throughout the season. Plus Shanny does a good job of going frame-by-frame and explaining why the hits are legal/illegal.

TheStranger 09-21-2011 06:06 PM

Wow, wish they left Schneider out of this. Extremely annoying.

One of my new pet peeves is watching a person's eyes move as they read a prompter.

Paranoid Android 09-21-2011 06:15 PM

Pretty good stuff, however, I would have liked to have seen more examples of plays that were considered legal last season, which are now illegal this season. Boarding looks exactly the same to me.

blueberrydanish 09-21-2011 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheStranger (Post 36924739)
One of my new pet peeves is watching a person's eyes move as they read a prompter.

Hes a hockey player not an actor, sorry.

sillygoose 09-21-2011 07:06 PM

funny thinking about the threads on those hits when they happened, and the whining/defending of the hits.

crazycanuck 09-21-2011 08:08 PM

Great vid, very informative.

That being said, the boarding differences between legal and illegal are very subtle. gonna be a ***** for the refs to decide in split seconds.

Ozamataz Buckshank 09-21-2011 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueberrydanish (Post 36929395)
Hes a hockey player not an actor, sorry.

If they wanted an actor they could have just had the Sedins read it

crazycanuck 09-21-2011 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkmastergeneral (Post 36935393)

Why? they aren't good at acting...

Blueline Bomber 09-21-2011 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazycanuck (Post 36935567)
Why? they aren't good at acting...

:sarcasm: But I believe he was referring to their diving antics in last year's playoffs.

And yeah, the differences between legal and illegal aren't going to factor into the split second decisions the referees make, but in terms of judging possible suspensions, Shanahan's provided clear-cut video to the fans, something I don't recall Campbell doing.

crazycanuck 09-21-2011 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anton Bomb (Post 36937959)

:sarcasm: But I believe he was referring to their diving antics in last year's playoffs.

And yeah, the differences between legal and illegal aren't going to factor into the split second decisions the referees make, but in terms of judging possible suspensions, Shanahan's provided clear-cut video to the fans, something I don't recall Campbell doing.

I was referring to their antics as well, if they were good we would've have talked about it so much.

Campbell never officially released these videos to the fans. Transparency of Shanahan's reign as master of discipline is already better, lol.

David71 09-21-2011 08:48 PM

good informative clarifcation of the rules. so players "intending to reach the puck or passing it off gets hit. is considered legal then.

hatterson 09-22-2011 07:30 AM

Schneider was awkward as all get in that video.

Good video though

Surstromming 09-22-2011 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheStranger (Post 36924739)

Exactly what I thought while watching this. It was well made though, thumbs up to them!

haveandare 09-22-2011 11:45 AM

The headshot rule sounds pretty clear and reasonable actually. Boarding is going to be tough to decipher in real time based on those examples.

Buck Aki Berg 09-22-2011 12:21 PM

Ugh, so much hype for a straight-to-DVD release.

jiggsawpuzzle35 09-22-2011 12:21 PM

There you have it Canuck fans. The Getzlaf hit was legal.

unstuck 09-22-2011 12:25 PM

Would Steckle's hit on Crosby at the Winter Classic be legal under these new rules?

I think it would. Would Crosby's concussion have been prevented, or even more penalized, under Shannahan?

I doubt it.

What about the Chara/Patches hit? Would that be considered to have targeted the head under these rules? Or boarding (or "stanchioning" as it were)?

DerhaertesteChecker 09-22-2011 01:04 PM

so they somehow know pronger's intent? the only clear thing in that video is that shelley should have his head up. At any rate these hits are just what are illegal, people also need to know that illegal doesn't mean dirty and vice versa.

DerhaertesteChecker 09-22-2011 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unstuck (Post 36957273)
Would Steckle's hit on Crosby at the Winter Classic be legal under these new rules?

I think it would. Would Crosby's concussion have been prevented, or even more penalized, under Shannahan?

I doubt it.

What about the Chara/Patches hit? Would that be considered to have targeted the head under these rules? Or boarding (or "stanchioning" as it were)?

steckel hit was just a collision, why would you suspend him for it, crosby was just as much at fault for the collision.

Chara hit was interference slightly, but are we gonna suspend guys for interference now?

Blueline Bomber 09-22-2011 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unstuck (Post 36957273)

There's no targeting of the head, so that's out immediately. Boarding, it's harder to tell. The hit itself was from the side, so the concept of hitting in the numbers doesn't come up. But it might be boarding in that Chara hit a player in a vulnerable position into the benches.

Lshap 09-22-2011 01:49 PM

This is a closeup. I see a raised arm, pushing Max's head.

http://dansallows.com/images/uploads...oretty-hit.jpg

Lshap 09-22-2011 01:53 PM

To be very clear, I have no interest in rewriting history. Chara's non-suspension may have been a perfect example of why the rules needed changing, but it happened as it happened.

Hopefully, these new rules will make players think twice before engaging in more of that kind of reckless, dangerous behaviour.

middletoe 09-22-2011 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazycanuck (Post 36935057)
Great vid, very informative.

That being said, the boarding differences between legal and illegal are very subtle. gonna be a ***** for the refs to decide in split seconds.

Agree with this. I like that it's cut down to a 2 minute minor instead of 5 and a game. Do most the punishing off the ice where you can have a much much better look at what happened. Great stuff by Shanny and his team. I now feel like maybe hockey can reach it's potential as a great sport.

Illinihockey 09-22-2011 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkmastergeneral (Post 36935393)

I laughed

crazycanuck 09-22-2011 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerhaertesteChecker (Post 36958649)
so they somehow know pronger's intent? the only clear thing in that video is that shelley should have his head up. At any rate these hits are just what are illegal, people also need to know that illegal doesn't mean dirty and vice versa.

If you look at the difference between the illegal and legal hits. The illegal hits are the ones where there is very minimal or no contact with the body. In their minds that proves targetting the head. It's not an exact science but it makes sense.