HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Rangers Lose First Pre-Season Game in OT (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=988541)

Leslie Treff 09-21-2011 10:35 PM

Rangers Lose First Pre-Season Game in OT
 
The Rangers had a familiar problem tonight, creating offense, and it wound up costing them a 2-1 overtime loss against the Devils in Albany. To be fair, the Rangers top line was not in Albany. Nor were Derek Stepan or Ryan Callahan. And it did seem that New York’s brass wanted to look at some [...]

More...

Vitto79 09-21-2011 10:38 PM

so how many cuts are expected by Fridays game?

Avery did well. He should stick. EC stinks but is cheaper on the cap. Zuccarello still needs to impress Friday to help keep his apparent spot to lose.

Punxrocknyc19* 09-21-2011 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vitto79 (Post 36941253)
so how many cuts are expected by Fridays game?

Avery did well. He should stick. EC stinks but is cheaper on the cap. Zuccarello still needs to impress Friday to help keep his apparent spot to lose.

McColgan reminds me a little of Marchand. not as skilled but gritty and goes to the net and can skate..I think Miller should get a few games in the regular season before he gets send back to juniors. he has played well against NHL players tonight. i know it wont happen but Miller should be on the team over EC.

beastly115 09-21-2011 10:45 PM

Good analysis. I agree with pretty much all of your assessments. Also interested to find out how many players will be cut between now and Friday's game.

Vitto79 09-21-2011 10:57 PM

cant they simply "loan" players for the AHL game?..........Newbury, Mitchell, Weise, Thuresson, Bourque, Miller, Yogan, Kolarik, Hagelin are all eligible for the AHL so should be allowed to play.

Then whoever they want comes back up before final decisions are made

Leslie Treff 09-21-2011 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlphaQUp (Post 36941577)
Good analysis. I agree with pretty much all of your assessments. Also interested to find out how many players will be cut between now and Friday's game.

I don't believe that anyone will be cut before Friday's game. Announcement will be either Friday night or Saturday morn.

KreiMeARiver* 09-21-2011 11:42 PM

I don't really see a point to making any sort of comment on the team after one game with a bunch of teenagers in the lineup against almost a full Devil's squad.

JT Miller is impressive... that's what I took from the game.

broadwayblue 09-21-2011 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leslie Treff (Post 36941149)
The Rangers had a familiar problem tonight, creating offense, and it wound up costing them a 2-1 overtime loss against the Devils in Albany. To be fair, the Rangers top line was not in Albany. Nor were Derek Stepan or Ryan Callahan. And it did seem that New York’s brass wanted to look at some [...]

More...

Leslie, not sure if you will be posting these blog updates during the regular season, but many of us would appreciate it if you did not put a spoiler in the thread title. That said, as always, thanks for the info.

Kovalev27 09-21-2011 11:49 PM

How could you say eminger was solid no real mistakes when he was responsible for both goals tonight the game winner being a horrific turnover in the slot?

Inferno 09-21-2011 11:57 PM

its really tough to make any assessments after this game. the Rangers were only icing 4 guys who will sure fire have spots on their team this season...Dubi, Girardi, AA, and Lundqvist (for half the game)...starting goalie, 1 defenseman, and 2 2nd line players....hardly a fair matchup against Elias, Parise, Kovalchuk, Volchenkov, Talinder, Clarkson, etc, etc, etc

like 70% of the Devils will be in the opening night roster....probably only 6 guys MAX tonight will be regulars on the team....thats Avery, Erixon, Girardi, Dubi, AA, and Henrik...with EC as a backup player.

frankly, if the rangers had as many regulars as the Devils had, we woulda effing killed em...they didnt impress me whatsoever, frankly their inability to bury such a substandard opponent was shocking

Brooklyn Ranger 09-22-2011 12:07 AM

Thanks Leslie--was interested to see your comments about Bell. Most people assumed he was signed for the Pack, but I have wondered about that-especially given the lack of NHL experience beyond Staal and Girardi.

nyranger61494 09-22-2011 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger (Post 36944609)
Thanks Leslie--was interested to see your comments about Bell. Most people assumed he was signed for the Pack, but I have wondered about that-especially given the lack of NHL experience beyond Staal and Girardi.

I thought Rangerboy had posted when he was signed that the team would have limited/no cap flexibility if he made the big club. I may be mistaken on that though.

nyranger61494 09-22-2011 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kovalev27 (Post 36943909)
How could you say eminger was solid no real mistakes when he was responsible for both goals tonight the game winner being a horrific turnover in the slot?

He was good but you're absolutely right. Janssens knocked him off the puck leading to the 1st goal and was obviously at fault for the 2nd.

Brooklyn Ranger 09-22-2011 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyranger61494 (Post 36945575)
I thought Rangerboy had posted when he was signed that the team would have limited/no cap flexibility if he made the big club. I may be mistaken on that though.

Nope, just checked that thread (bell was signed 8/9) and there is no mention in any post about cap issues. In fact, neither capgeek.com nor outsidethegarden.com have a salary listed for Bell. And given the fact that he didn't play in North America last year and last played in the NHL during the 2008-9 season I doubt that his salary would be a major issue.

eco's bones 09-22-2011 04:33 AM

Bell looks like a reasonable option but I'm not sure I'd call him an NHL vet. He's got just about one season + of NHL experience.

Miller looked very good--strong along the boards--made a couple very nice plays. McIlrath had a good night as well. Solid in his own end. Was good with the puck--don't recall him making any bad passes. I like McColgan. Weise had a good game. Not a particularly good fight but he used his size and finished on the goal nicely. Erixon, Hagelin played well too. Mitchell would be a decent call up addition.

The one guy though that impressed me the most was Talbot. He looked real good. Like challenge Biron for backup goalie good.

The Devils lineup was a lot stronger than ours so IMO a lot of our youngsters did well.

Leslie Treff 09-22-2011 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kovalev27 (Post 36943909)
How could you say eminger was solid no real mistakes when he was responsible for both goals tonight the game winner being a horrific turnover in the slot?

I looked and looked and don't see where I said Eminger was solid. Did I miss something?

Leslie Treff 09-22-2011 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broadwayblue (Post 36943763)
Leslie, not sure if you will be posting these blog updates during the regular season, but many of us would appreciate it if you did not put a spoiler in the thread title. That said, as always, thanks for the info.

Is this the general consensus here? Usually, journalism rules require me to do this. I was planning on doing more blog entries this year, so lets work this out together so you guys get what you need.

mike14 09-22-2011 06:03 AM

Not that I care one way or another, but is talking about the result of a Rangers game, on a Rangers board, after it's over really a spoiler?

Zuccarello Awesome* 09-22-2011 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike14 (Post 36948627)
Not that I care one way or another, but is talking about the result of a Rangers game, on a Rangers board, after it's over really a spoiler?

Agreed. I know where he was comin from because a lot of people often DVR the games and watch them later on after class/work etc. and I suppose they don't view the GDT as to not spoil the outcome. But I'm not sure why they'd need to be on hf, viewing the thread titles at all then, lol.

WeWillWinTonight 09-22-2011 07:05 AM

Your not writing a movie review so honestly you can call the title whatever you please in my opinion.

And I was actually hoping you continued with your write ups through the season because I seem to agree with most of your opinions. Keep up the good work

nyranger61494 09-22-2011 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger (Post 36947301)
Nope, just checked that thread (bell was signed 8/9) and there is no mention in any post about cap issues. In fact, neither capgeek.com nor outsidethegarden.com have a salary listed for Bell. And given the fact that he didn't play in North America last year and last played in the NHL during the 2008-9 season I doubt that his salary would be a major issue.

Apologies. Just went back and checked myself. Thought the conversation had been that it would be a cap issue but instead, was that Bell just is not good enough. He looked decent last night.

Orr Nightmare 09-22-2011 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leslie Treff (Post 36948429)
Is this the general consensus here? Usually, journalism rules require me to do this. I was planning on doing more blog entries this year, so lets work this out together so you guys get what you need.

Leslie, you are posting a recap. If someone hasn't seen the game or doesn't know the final score they shouldn't complain if they are posting. I don't read the board until I know the outcome.

My vote is for you to continue to do your excellent work and do not deviate.

Jeds2StepOpus 09-22-2011 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leslie Treff (Post 36948429)
Is this the general consensus here? Usually, journalism rules require me to do this. I was planning on doing more blog entries this year, so lets work this out together so you guys get what you need.

I have no idea what that other guy is talking about. Spoilers? He certainly doesn't speak for me. I have no idea who this "many of us" crowd is.

Just do what you have been doing.

He didn't watch the game? Doesn't know the results? Well, that's his problem. he should refrain from going on a Rangers forum after the game is over, if he doesn't want to get 'Spoilers". I mean....seriously, that's common sense.

mullichicken25 09-22-2011 09:34 AM

my thoughts:
- nobody really stood out, good moments and bad moments for nearly everyone out there
- hagelin and thomas looked like good hoceky players who were just in a little over their head last night
- erixon looked surprisingly slow and hesitant out there, but got better as the game went on
- Mcilrath looked like he's going to be a force some day, however, he's still got a ways to go
- del zotto looked meh...and the fact that emminger played pretty bad didnt help his cause

i know its very very early but i haven't seen anyone that appears to bring more than MZA for the 3rd line wing spot...we'll see how things progress

Fitzy 09-22-2011 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare (Post 36949559)
Leslie, you are posting a recap. If someone hasn't seen the game or doesn't know the final score they shouldn't complain if they are posting. I don't read the board until I know the outcome.

My vote is for you to continue to do your excellent work and do not deviate.

I agree; I mean you should pretty much know that this is not the place to come if you've taped the game and not watched it yet. I tend to avoid any sports sites in general when I do that.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:30 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.