HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Stepan to the wing ? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=988805)

MorrisWanchuk 09-22-2011 11:54 AM

Stepan to the wing ?

Given Stepan's poor face off performance last year, and our strength down the middle - does it make sense to move Stepan to the wing? He played there for a few games last year and looked good.

Also, Boyle and Feds have looked very strong together in camp and might even warrant at least 3rd line minutes. Rupp can play C, so I would suggest Steps going to the wing and us lining up like this:

WW-Brad-Gabby
Dubi-Arti-Cally
Feds-Boyle-Stepan
Prust-Rupp-???

bubba5 09-22-2011 11:56 AM

no, he can improve eventually, I remember when Crosby was a rookie, it took him a few years to improve on the face-off too.

haveandare 09-22-2011 11:58 AM

There was some talk on twitter a few weeks ago from one of the beat writers about Stepan possibly playing LW this season. I wouldn't be against it. I think he could score nearly 30 if he could translate his game to the left wing. Its not necessary to force it, but it'd be worth exploring.

Stepanformayor* 09-22-2011 12:07 PM

I think that he is way better in the middle of the rink where he can move the puck side to side. We all know that the way Torts shuffles these lines it really does not matter. As far as the faceoff thing goes, every young player in this leauge struggles in the faceoff circle the first couple of years. That is not enough of a reason for me to take one of your more creative players and move him to the wall.

94now 09-22-2011 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MorrisWanchuk (Post 36956279)
Given Stepan's poor face off performance last year, and our strength down the middle - does it make sense to move Stepan to the wing? He played there for a few games last year and looked good.

Any centre looks good on the wing. So what?

nyr2k2 09-22-2011 12:18 PM

I'd rather move Boyle to the wing.

we want cup 09-22-2011 12:29 PM

I think Step has a much higher potential as a C than as a wing. Struggling on faceoffs as a rookie isn't a shocker. I'd wager most rookies do. It's a combination of lacking that veteran savvy and not being quite as strong as a lot of the other centers in the league.

Plus, there are ways around it if the problem persists. Put him on a line with someone who's strong on draws, have that player take them then move to the wing for the rest of the shift. Shifting his position and potentially hampering the development of one of our only truly offensive gifted young players solely because he struggled on faceoffs during his rookie season would be a crucial mistake, IMO.

Stepanformayor* 09-22-2011 12:31 PM

We all know that Stepan is not going to play on the 4th line and get 4th line minutes. I agree, Boyle on the wing makes more sense to me.

SML 09-22-2011 12:38 PM

Yeah, God forbid a kid doesn't step into the best league in the world and dominate in every facet of the game. Why work at anything? If he doesn't score, maybe we can make a defenseman out of him. Anything to keep someone from actually practicing or getting better. We wouldn't want any of that.

Inferno 09-22-2011 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyr2k2 (Post 36957097)
I'd rather move Boyle to the wing.

this.

stepan is a much more natural center than a guy like Boyle.

SupersonicMonkey* 09-22-2011 12:51 PM

Boyle is good on faceoffs, it wouldn't make sense to move him to the wing, either.

Our centers are fine.

Richards
Anisimov
Stepan
Boyle

MorrisWanchuk 09-22-2011 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey (Post 36958179)
Boyle is good on faceoffs, it wouldn't make sense to move him to the wing, either.

Our centers are fine.

Richards
Anisimov
Stepan
Boyle

but shouldnt both Boyle & Stepan be getting 3rd line minutes. Seems like a waste to have either on the 4th line

nyr2k2 09-22-2011 01:01 PM

I feel like Boyle's offensive game is better suited to the wing. I agree that there is no need to move anyone off the C position, but if we had to, I'd prefer it be Boyle.

Trxjw 09-22-2011 01:05 PM

All easily solved by creating a 3rd line of:

Boyle - Stepan - Prust/Feds :p:

Boyle turns into the massive winger we wanted from the 2003 draft, and all is well in Ranger land. :sarcasm:

SupersonicMonkey* 09-22-2011 01:25 PM

Except Boyle is a good defensive center. That can take important faceoffs.

It doesn't make sense to move him to the wing exclusively.

He's still going to get a good amount of minutes.

NYR Sting 09-22-2011 01:27 PM

Boyle makes much more sense at LW. Boyle isn't much of a passer but he's big and has a nice wrist shot, while obviously what Stepan really should be doing is playmaking. Hopefully, we'll see that side of his game a lot more this season.

If Wolski sucks in the regular season, I'd expect to see Boyle moved to the LW at some point.

LannyMcdonald 09-22-2011 01:36 PM

Wouldn't mind seeing either if them replace WW's presume spot on the first line. Leaves Dubi-AA-Callahan as second line, and some combo of boyle/step, Feds, WW, mza, etc on the third.

tomobson 09-22-2011 01:45 PM

boyle could move to the wing on the stepan line and take faceoffs.

dubi/aa do this a lot, don't see why boyle/stepan can't.

MorrisWanchuk 09-22-2011 01:59 PM

looks like torts is thinking along similar lines to me...

(from today's presser):

stevezipay Steve Zipay
Torts: Still unclear where Stepan will fit positionally, at LW or C

Vitto79 09-22-2011 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MorrisWanchuk (Post 36958265)
but shouldnt both Boyle & Stepan be getting 3rd line minutes. Seems like a waste to have either on the 4th line

I saw this coming a mile away. Boyle is playing great but even after last yr everyone assumes he is a 4th liner.

This is a good problem to have

In the end it's going to be real tough for Torts to break up lines that click though

so I still see Packline, Feds,BB,Prust together

Richards and Gaborik of course. Wolski is basically useless in a bottom 6 role so to me he has to start with the 1st line

Thing is that then leaves Stepan, Zuke, Rupp. No clue how that line will click.

Stepan is not the greatest on faceoffs so I do think it makes sense to have Boyle on his wing. That would move Rupp to C Feds and Prust?

Lots of options

ruckus* 09-22-2011 02:26 PM

I want Stepan to stay at center. Having depth at center, and quality depth is huge.

I do not want Boyle getting more ice time than him though.

Feds-Stepan-Prust
Rupp-Boyle-X

SupersonicMonkey* 09-22-2011 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomobson (Post 36960005)
boyle could move to the wing on the stepan line and take faceoffs.

dubi/aa do this a lot, don't see why boyle/stepan can't.

And then Stepan doesn't learn on faceoffs.

Barbara Underhill 09-22-2011 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey (Post 36959337)

Except ya know a winger can take the FO if you want. How often did we see Drury or Dubinsky take a draw and then move back to the wing.

Barbara Underhill 09-22-2011 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey (Post 36961655)
And then Stepan doesn't learn on faceoffs.

You said "important" faceoffs not all of them. Stepan takes most of the draws and Boyle steps in for the key ones.

nyr2k2 09-22-2011 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey (Post 36959337)

Depends on what they want out of Boyle. Lockdown defensive center with minimal offensive upside? Or two-way winger with (potentially) decent offense? To maximize his offensive contributions, I think he's better suited to the wing. If we're content with an excellent defensive center, leave him at C.

I'm not saying that Boyle should be moved off center. But if we end up in a situation where one player's minutes take a hit at the expense of the other, I'd rather Stepan get the bulk of the contested minutes at C.