HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Recommended cage for Bauer 4500 helmet? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=989047)

ArGarBarGar 09-22-2011 05:52 PM

Recommended cage for Bauer 4500 helmet?

I am finally getting my first cage since I was 14 (22 now), and now that I'm changing from a 5000 to a 4500, the cage I used to wear sticks out to the sides too much.

Any recommendations for what kind of cage I should get for a large helmet? I'd rather not get one that doesn't fit right.

cptjeff 09-22-2011 06:37 PM

Cages are sized for your face, not for the helmet. Just because you wear a large helmet does not mean you need a large cage.

Instead of asking us while providing no information about what size or model cage you have, why don't you go to your local store and try a few on? Bring your helmet to help you size, and to see how well they fit.

Jarick 09-23-2011 11:45 AM

Typically with Bauer you can use the same size cage as your helmet. You may have to bend it a bit with your hands.

mhkehoe 09-23-2011 07:38 PM

Most cages should fit, so it comes down to your preference. I am using the Bauer 9900 (9500) cage and really like it (using Reebok 6k helmet). Great sight, light, but it does seem to be a little shorter than other cages. Just have to wear the cage properly for it to protect properly.

I used the Jofa 480 (same as CCM 480) and liked that one as well.

So basically, buy whatever will fit, and as mentioned, bend it a tad if you need to.

AIREAYE 09-23-2011 09:05 PM

Definitely try to stick with Bauer/Itech cages; if only for legal reasons. Agreed with cptjeff; it's a tough call. In my experiences, the cages usually go size-to-size with helmets, but you need to try them on.

bigbadbruins1 09-23-2011 09:46 PM

wear a visor :D
honestly... if you can bear the potential of losing a few teeth wearing a visor/ no cage is significantly better. I saw a drastic improvement once I started wearing a visor.

Guffaw 09-23-2011 09:53 PM

Love the Bauer 9900 cage.

If you drive without a seat belt, buy lottery tickets, or are relying on social security for 100% of your retirement then you may be a candidate for a visor. Otherwise wear a cage because broken teeth and facial stitches in meaningless games suck.

bigbadbruins1 09-23-2011 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guffaw (Post 37021095)
Love the Bauer 9900 cage.

If you drive without a seat belt, buy lottery tickets, or are relying on social security for 100% of your retirement then you may be a candidate for a visor. Otherwise wear a cage because broken teeth and facial stitches in meaningless games suck.

meaningless!?!? I'm offended!:laugh:

Guffaw 09-23-2011 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbadbruins1 (Post 37021273)
meaningless!?!? I'm offended!:laugh:

Meaningless as in outcome doesn't determine your future earnings or career path. In games such as those one could argue that the reward is worth increasing the risk of injury.

I like the shield guys personally. It gives me a nice chuckle every time one of them leaves with a bloody mouth in men's league. The best are the guys with just the helmet:laugh:

It's not surprising. I mean people still smoke and it says right on the pack that it will kill you. Humans-not the most rational bunch:laugh:

bigbadbruins1 09-24-2011 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guffaw (Post 37025089)
Meaningless as in outcome doesn't determine your future earnings or career path. In games such as those one could argue that the reward is worth increasing the risk of injury.

I like the shield guys personally. It gives me a nice chuckle every time one of them leaves with a bloody mouth in men's league. The best are the guys with just the helmet:laugh:

It's not surprising. I mean people still smoke and it says right on the pack that it will kill you. Humans-not the most rational bunch:laugh:

now is the perfect time.. Chicks dig scars! not so much missing teeth, but scars!

Guffaw 09-24-2011 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbadbruins1 (Post 37030379)
now is the perfect time.. Chicks dig scars! not so much missing teeth, but scars!

Your choice. Enjoy:yo:

budster 09-25-2011 07:29 PM

I wear a size L Bauer 5000 and I use a size med Jofa/CCM FM480 cage. It's the best cage I've tried and not too expensive. Full review here. I made the mistake of ordering a large cage first.