HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Evgeny Grachev is off to an impressive start with the St. Louis Blues (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=990291)

NYRJE 09-24-2011 01:31 PM

Evgeny Grachev is off to an impressive start with the St. Louis Blues

I'm glad to see Grachev is doing well but I wish it could have been with the Rangers:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=376573

Leslie Treff 09-24-2011 01:32 PM

Was about to give this another tweet, but glad that you mentioned it in this thread. Three goals in four games.

The only caveat here is that Grachev has had streaks before and then disappeared. But its nice to see a prospect do well after a trade.

Ih8theislanders 09-24-2011 01:37 PM

Good for him. But still, it's only preseason. People go on streaks all the time and fade. Remember when Voros had like 8 goals in 9 games? I wish Evgeny well but I'm not expecting much.

Levitate 09-24-2011 01:37 PM

Yeah, makes me uncomfortable about the situation with him.

Was it something where he needed to pick it up and the trade gave him a fresh start? Is it an issue with the Rangers AHL development team? Why did he feel that he needed a trade away from the Rangers?

It concerns me a bit, but we'll see what happens with him this year and whether he's found the consistency he has lacked up to this point

Vitto79 09-24-2011 01:38 PM

I figure he makes the Blues but honestly I think it was a good idea to move him out. Realistically he wouldnt of made this yrs Rangers. Also Fogarty this yrs 3rd rounder we got for Grachev has potential.

Brendan Shanahan 09-24-2011 01:38 PM

I still think he can be a 30-30 player, but not on this Rangers team. STL is lacking high-end skill and that's what Evgeny brings to the team. I really wish we could have kept him and let Fedotenko go for that third line LW spot, but I guess things didn't work out for him here.

Crease 09-24-2011 01:47 PM

Good for him. For whatever reason, he didn't pan out for us, but those things happen (see Boyle, Prust, McDonagh).

nyr2k2 09-24-2011 01:49 PM

We've done fine developing players through our AHL system.

McSauer 09-24-2011 01:55 PM

He asked for a trade...**** him...

BrooklynRangersFan 09-24-2011 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levitate (Post 37036069)
Yeah, makes me uncomfortable about the situation with him.

Was it something where he needed to pick it up and the trade gave him a fresh start? Is it an issue with the Rangers AHL development team? Why did he feel that he needed a trade away from the Rangers?

It concerns me a bit, but we'll see what happens with him this year and whether he's found the consistency he has lacked up to this point

The player requesting the trade points squarely to HIS belief that the issue is with management.

When he then goes on to blossom IMMEDIATELY post-trade, it goes a long way towards showing he was right.

I've been getting progressively more and more concerned about Gernander for a long time now. It seems he can develop players who are defense-first hustle guys like Callahan, who play the game similarly to how he himself played. But, he's displayed no acumen to deal with talented offensive players - indeed, they seem to stagnate under him. We got a glimpse at Gernander in the TC between periods clips - and he was AWFUL. Granted, it was an artificial situation with a team that had been thrown together and it was only a little bit of exposure, but still - I was left INCREDIBLY unimpressed.

If it turns out we let a 6'4" monster who can skate and shoot go (for a 3rd round pick! :facepalm:) because of this idiot... I want him gone. Now.

Giacomin 09-24-2011 01:56 PM

This was one those things that never would have worked out here so good riddance!

Jarkko Immonen 09-24-2011 01:58 PM

I knew it. Bah.

RangersFan 09-24-2011 02:00 PM

Daniel Goneau Vladimir Vorobiev

Leslie Treff 09-24-2011 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan (Post 37036675)
If it turns out we let a 6'4" monster who can skate and shoot go (for a 3rd round pick! :facepalm:) because of this idiot... I want him gone. Now.

Just accept that this is not going to happen and move on from there.

ck20 09-24-2011 02:08 PM

People are talking like we just gave up Logan Couture for a 3rd rounder. He has a few goals in pre-season against teams that aren't even really teams yet. I do hope he can get a spot on the Blues because I was always rooting for him while he was here, but I won't let it ruin my weekend (sorry, that's never going to get old to me).

If he was uncomfortable here for whatever reason, then this just wasn't the place for him is how I look at it. He won't be the last player with some size and offensive upside that's going to come through our system.

Pizza 09-24-2011 02:09 PM

What ever.

The guy asked to be dealt, which took too long to get done....because every body was lining up to have him....I guess.

Does anyone here want someone who does not want to be a Ranger?

In that situation you do what you can do and move on. End of story.

ThirdEye 09-24-2011 02:09 PM

Quote:

The player requesting the trade points squarely to HIS belief that the issue is with management.

When he then goes on to blossom IMMEDIATELY post-trade, it goes a long way towards showing he was right.

I've been getting progressively more and more concerned about Gernander for a long time now. It seems he can develop players who are defense-first hustle guys like Callahan, who play the game similarly to how he himself played. But, he's displayed no acumen to deal with talented offensive players - indeed, they seem to stagnate under him. We got a glimpse at Gernander in the TC between periods clips - and he was AWFUL. Granted, it was an artificial situation with a team that had been thrown together and it was only a little bit of exposure, but still - I was left INCREDIBLY unimpressed.

2 preseason games is blossoming? He might do well this year, but let's not get ahead of ourselves

Also, Grachev is not as skilled as some of us have been led to believe. He HAS skill, but his biggest asset is the hard shot and above average skating. His hands are decent for a big guy, but nothing really special when you compare him to some of the better players in the game

wolfgaze 09-24-2011 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pizza (Post 37037107)
What ever.

The guy asked to be dealt, which took too long to get done....because every body was lining up to have him....I guess.

Does anyone here want someone who does not want to be a Ranger?

In that situation you do what you can do and move on. End of story.

Agreed....

NYR94 09-24-2011 03:04 PM

Can't make a big deal over this guy leaving until he proves something over an NHL season. The Brandon Bochenski Award doesn't mean much.

SkerZ 09-24-2011 03:09 PM

All the best to Grachev, but lets see whats up come all star break.

BrooklynRangersFan 09-24-2011 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leslie Treff (Post 37036843)
Just accept that this is not going to happen and move on from there.

C'mon, Leslie. This is incredibly condescending - and an inappropriate comment given your status as a HF writer. I have been almost exclusively supportive and complimentary during your tenure. Why are you directing a comment like this to me personally?

Regarding the issue at hand: look, I'm a fan; I'm on a message board about prospects; and I'm particularly frustrated with the handling of this particular prospect, who I long thought had the best upside of any of our kids. All of the info I've been able to draw from the outside has led me to look at Gernander as the cause and I therefore want him out.

If you have inside information that you are not sharing, that's fine - but remember that you haven't shared it, so if you're going to bite your tongue on the issue, you should bite your tongue on chastising posters. If you do want to tell me to "get over it", you should at the very least reference the fact that there's more going on behind the scenes than we're aware of (although I would then be curious as to your rationale as to why St. Louis didn't seem to be bothered by said behind-the-scenes issue and why - at least at first - it appears to no longer impacting his game). And if there's not some behind the scenes issue, then... I'm not sure why you responded to me at all.

For those who are saying "he didn't want to be here, so eff him": do you likewise take the similar stance towards everyone on the big club? Do you never criticize management? Have you never said that Slats or Torts effed up? Have you always blamed the player? Do you also always take Slats at his word (regarding things like "we were trying to move him for a year")?

I realize I have long been Grachev's biggest supporter; I don't expect others to be as upset or as demonstrative in their anger/disappointment as I am. By the same token, I am rather confused that the default reaction from the vast majority of the fanbase (many of whom are prepared to call out management on a daily, if not hourly, basis regarding the most minor adjustment to the 4th line or the 3rd pair on the big squad) seems to be to line up with the team on this one without so much as a hint of ambivalence or qualification.

HAPPY HOUR 09-24-2011 03:56 PM

I saw him live maybe 5 or 6 times and always seemed to walk away unsatisfied. Big body, long reach, strong, skates well, has a decent wrist shot but he seemed to float a lot and circle wide around the net.

Thought his look up with the big club showed the effort, but the play zigged when he zagged.
His results warranted a 3rd rounder im my opinion. But like Brooklyn I liked the guys demeanor, skillset and "potential".

I am over it though and wish the guy well.

we want cup 09-24-2011 04:03 PM

Quote:

This seems like the opposite of true. I'd say that many players who get traded catch fire for their first few games after the trade. I would say that what a prospect does over the course of a whole season means a hell of a lot more than what he does in 4 preseason games.

Barbara Underhill 09-24-2011 04:04 PM

Good for Grachev I am happy for him, going to place the blame on Gernander. I think we need to reevaluate the farm system if we want to develop our offensive prospects. Gernander does a good job getting guys to be defensively responsible but I think he struggles with the offensive side of things.

I still think Grachev is going to have a solid career and am happy he'll get a chance with St. Louis. He obviously felt he was mishandled and I can't hold that against him.

ruckus* 09-24-2011 04:09 PM

Brooklyn I agree with you but I don't think Leslie was being condescending. You're overreacting a bit. She's just saying Gernander isn't going anywhere so don't get your hopes up.

It's frustrating knowing the potential Grachev has and the fact that he felt the need to leave and his development stagnated. It would be a huge loss for this organization for him to fulfill his potential somewhere else.

I too, was unimpressed with Gernander at Traverse City. Have no idea what this organization sees in him, but IMO there has to be better options out there.

This is nothing to get bent out of shape about yet, because obviously it's just preseason. But if Grachev turns into what he could be...oh boy.