HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   News Article: NHL says it won't take action against Simmonds or Avery (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=992241)

DrinkFightFlyers 09-27-2011 10:50 AM

NHL says it won't take action against Simmonds or Avery
 
MOD EDIT:

From Sam at the Inquirer (Tuesday evening, Sept. 27th):

http://twitter.com/#!/broadstbull

Quote:

NHL says it won't take action against Simmonds or Avery
From Wayne Fish:

http://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=waynefish1

Quote:

NHL takes no action against Flyers' Simmonds for alleged 'gay slur' against New York Rangers' Sean Avery in Monday night's game.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...ing-about-slur

That's pretty lame if he gets suspended for saying a bad word.

EDIT: Nevermind, it looks like a fine. Still though. Pretty lame.

Spongolium* 09-27-2011 10:53 AM

What a joke. If people had any idea what was said during the course of a hockey game.

FreshPerspective 09-27-2011 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers (Post 37156595)
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...ing-about-slur

That's pretty lame if he gets suspended for saying a bad word.

EDIT: Nevermind, it looks like a fine. Still though. Pretty lame.

Garbage..this league is becoming oversensitive. Like a ref is on record as saying..he hears that word 2-3 times a game. I'd love to see the league prove that Simmonds used that term in a "hate" context just because Avery has an affiliation with gay rights etc. A banana flung at you or being called the N word is a bit more self-evident I would say...

StumbleBum7 09-27-2011 11:02 AM

next game i go to VS the rangers I think ill make a Avery's a f@g sign or something to the regards

ChrisKreider20 09-27-2011 11:04 AM

Yeah, thats a joke. I'm sure worse gets said there.

esuhock22 09-27-2011 11:08 AM

This is just embarrassing. Like others have said, I can't even imagine how many times that word and worse are said during a hockey game.

JVR21 09-27-2011 11:11 AM



Sean Avery threatened to kill Giroux. Guess what? It shouldn't ****ing matter. It's hockey, and he clearly was not actually considering murdering him. Calling a straight man a ****** is like calling a guy a *****; are you demeaning women every time you say that word? If Avery was gay it would be a different story.

DrinkFightFlyers 09-27-2011 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrDoom (Post 37156761)
Garbage..this league is becoming oversensitive. Like a ref is on record as saying..he hears that word 2-3 times a game. I'd love to see the league prove that Simmonds used that term in a "hate" context just because Avery has an affiliation with gay rights etc. A banana flung at you or being called the N word is a bit more self-evident I would say...

Not to mention that the latter was done by a fan. The players should be allowed say whatever they want to each other. When fans get involved, that is when it becomes different. Simmonds calling a fan a *** or a fan calling a player a ****** is a lot different in my opinion than two professionals in the heat of a game saying a few bad words. Even if Avery called Simmonds a ****** I don't think its a big deal. Just another way to get him off his game.

Haute Couturier 09-27-2011 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrDoom (Post 37156761)
Garbage..this league is becoming oversensitive. Like a ref is on record as saying..he hears that word 2-3 times a game. I'd love to see the league prove that Simmonds used that term in a "hate" context just because Avery has an affiliation with gay rights etc. A banana flung at you or being called the N word is a bit more self-evident I would say...

The "f" word is hate speech the same way the "n" word is. I agree that ultimately this is something said all of the time so I am not going to judge Simmonds personally for using something that is part of the locker room culture, but at the same time it shouldn't be a part of the locker room culture. Bashing gays shouldn't be any more acceptable than bashing black people.

MsWoof 09-27-2011 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Libertine (Post 37157569)
The "f" word is hate speech the same way the "n" word is. I agree that ultimately this is something said all of the time so I am not going to judge Simmonds personally for using something that is part of the locker room culture, but at the same time it shouldn't be a part of the locker room culture. Bashing gays shouldn't be any more acceptable than bashing black people.

Yup. In light of all the talk last year about Brian Burke's son and how much homophobic slurs are used in hockey, this does need to be addressed. But I still hate Avery.

GoneFullHextall 09-27-2011 11:23 AM

Simmonds should know better then to fall for Averys baiting tatics. Avery more then likely baited him into saying that. Simmonds was wrong. some things you do not say. period. the fine was justified.
Kobe got fined 100k for saying the same thing, but I am sure thats different because he isnt a Sixer.

Selanne138 09-27-2011 11:26 AM

Seriously if you took away everyone whose ever said that on the ice, there wouldn't be enough players to field two teams to play. Its trash talk there has been much worse stuff said on the ice, its an absolute joke if he is fined.

TOCxNJ 09-27-2011 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Libertine (Post 37157569)
The "f" word is hate speech the same way the "n" word is. I agree that ultimately this is something said all of the time so I am not going to judge Simmonds personally for using something that is part of the locker room culture, but at the same time it shouldn't be a part of the locker room culture. Bashing gays shouldn't be any more acceptable than bashing black people.

Not really so much for obvious reasons. There were never a bunch of gay people put into slavery. The "N" word is much more offensive and touches upon some horrific points in history. Granted there were also hate crimes again gay people, it was no where near as terrible as what african and african americans went through.

I do agree though that you should try to refrain using the word.

mirimon 09-27-2011 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren (Post 37157749)
Simmonds should no better then to fall for Averys baiting tatics. Avery more then likely baited him into saying that. Simmonds was wrong. some things you do not say. period. the fine was justified.
Kobe got fined 100k for saying the same thing, but I am sure thats different because he isnt a Sixer.

Yeah, Simmonds needs to learn to avoid getting baited like that.

Maybe the league should tell referees to start using the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for things said on the ice? Make it a personal penalty that doesn't affect how many players are out on the ice or something like that?

kicksave27 09-27-2011 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JVR21 (Post 37157327)
If Avery was gay it would be a different story.

that wouldn't surprise me

JVR21 09-27-2011 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kicksave27 (Post 37158139)
that wouldn't surprise me

Elisha Cuthbert...

kicksave27 09-27-2011 11:41 AM

maybe they painted each others toes and talked about fashion. Till she wanted a real man and went with Dion.

nevermore 09-27-2011 11:41 AM

GLAAD annoys me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JVR21 (Post 37158179)
Elisha Cuthbert...

Beard.

FreshPerspective 09-27-2011 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Libertine (Post 37157569)
The "f" word is hate speech the same way the "n" word is. I agree that ultimately this is something said all of the time so I am not going to judge Simmonds personally for using something that is part of the locker room culture, but at the same time it shouldn't be a part of the locker room culture. Bashing gays shouldn't be any more acceptable than bashing black people.

If you are actually homosexual then a term like that directed at you would have more relevancy with respect to hate. When you are BLACK and somebody uses the pejorative N word it def has more impact and can be characterized as hate speech. Again the NHL would have a hard time proving that Simmonds said the slur solely b/c of a hate of gays considering Avery and Torterella are the ambiguously gay duo anyway....:sarcasm:

hckyplayer8 09-27-2011 11:46 AM

Disciplining the kid over that is retarded.

Haute Couturier 09-27-2011 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOCxNJ (Post 37157885)
Not really so much for obvious reasons. There were never a bunch of gay people put into slavery. The "N" word is much more offensive and touches upon some horrific points in history. Granted there were also hate crimes again gay people, it was no where near as terrible as what african and african americans went through.

I do agree though that you should try to refrain using the word.

Would you tell a gay person that the "f" word isn't as offensive? It doesn't matter who suffered more, hate is hate. By the way, gays were rounded up and killed by the Nazis so I think they had it fairly bad. Hell they still are being denied their civil rights today and many still fear coming out. How would you feel to be a gay hockey player too terrified to come out because slurs were regularly used in the locker room and on the ice? How would you like to have your sexuality used as an insult and demeaned on a regular basis? Because the odds are there are players going through that in the NHL right now.

DrinkFightFlyers 09-27-2011 11:47 AM

The NHL should not get involved with what is said on the ice. In other sports (and probably hockey too) people talk about other guys families and crap like that. It's just trash talk. Now, if in an interview after the game with reports or with a magazine or something like that Simmons says, "Avery is a ***." Then ok fine him. But on the ice, who gives a crap? Say whatever the hell works to get the guy off his game. If Simmonds calls him a ***, doesn't mean he is homophobic or is against gay rights, just like if Avery called him a ngger it wouldn't mean Avery was racist. It's just talk to rattle the other guy. Of course, in reality, Simmonds might hate gays and Avery might hate blacks, but that still shouldn't matter if all they are doing is trash talking on the ice.

hckyplayer8 09-27-2011 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Libertine (Post 37158621)
Would you tell a gay person that the "f" word isn't as offensive? It doesn't matter who suffered more, hate is hate. By the way, gays were rounded up and killed by the Nazis so I think they had it fairly bad. Hell they still are being denied their civil rights today and many still fear coming out. How would you feel to be a gay hockey player too terrified to come out because slurs were regularly used in the locker room and on the ice? How would you like to have your sexuality used as an insult and demeaned on a regular basis? Because the odds are there are players going through that in the NHL right now.

It's called having pride in who you are. It doesn't matter what the haters say.

I'm white with brownish/red hair.

If you think for one second that I would run to the media over being called a "cracker" and a "ginger" you better rethink.

trigzter 09-27-2011 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mirimon (Post 37158103)
Yeah, Simmonds needs to learn to avoid getting baited like that.

Maybe the league should tell referees to start using the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for things said on the ice? Make it a personal penalty that doesn't affect how many players are out on the ice or something like that?

penalties for cursing is never going to happen. they are adults

kicksave27 09-27-2011 11:53 AM

well he wasn't going to answer him on the ice, because he turtled. So he's going to make himself look like the victim.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:42 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.