HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   News Article: Police have suspect in the banana attack (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=992405)

BleedOrange 09-27-2011 02:55 PM

Police have suspect in the banana attack
 
http://www.calgarysun.com/2011/09/27...-banana-attack

Quote:

LONDON, ONT. - London, Ont., police have the name of a person they think tossed a banana at Wayne Simmonds during a NHL pre-season game in London last week - an incident many have said was racially motivated.

"We have information that's been given to us . . . and that obviously means a name has come forward," Const. Dennis Rivest said Tuesday.

He said no charges have been laid and the investigation is ongoing, he said.

FreshPerspective 09-27-2011 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedOrange (Post 37165609)
http://www.calgarysun.com/2011/09/27...-banana-attack

LONDON, ONT. - London, Ont., police have the name of a person they think tossed a banana at Wayne Simmonds during a NHL pre-season game in London last week - an incident many have said was racially motivated.

"We have information that's been given to us . . . and that obviously means a name has come forward," Const. Dennis Rivest said Tuesday.

He said no charges have been laid and the investigation is ongoing, he said.

My sources tell me it was Avery :sarcasm:

RevUpThoseGolfCarts 09-27-2011 02:57 PM

I didn't know you could get arrested for being racist.

Did the banana hit Simmonds?

EDIT:
Quote:

The banana-tosser could be subject to a charge of "engaging in a prohibited activity" under the Trespass to Property Act.

mirimon 09-27-2011 03:02 PM

"banana attack"

I love headlines

might2mash 09-27-2011 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RevUpThoseFlyers (Post 37165683)
I didn't know you could get arrested for being racist.

Did the banana hit Simmonds?

EDIT:

You can be prosecuted for throwing objects onto the ice. They could legally go further I would assume, but that's probably enough.

FreshPerspective 09-27-2011 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mirimon (Post 37165841)
"banana attack"

I love headlines

That's what she said....

mooseOAK* 09-27-2011 03:05 PM

I guess that he didn't have time to split.

SolidSnakeUS 09-27-2011 03:16 PM

I know it's kind of a big deal, but I have to post this :laugh:.


BringBackStevens 09-27-2011 03:31 PM

Arrested for what exactly? Being an a-hole?

BroadStreetBully88 09-27-2011 03:31 PM

Its messed up what that fan did but its pretty hilarious to see what the london,ont tax payers money is going toward.

Beef Invictus 09-27-2011 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BringBackStevens (Post 37166969)
Arrested for what exactly? Being an a-hole?

Essentially, yeah. I'm pretty sure there are laws against throwing stuff on the ice; Disturbing a sporting event/concert/whatever is frowned upon*

*I'm no lawyer, if that isn't apparent. So I'm not positive

Midnight Oil 09-27-2011 03:38 PM

The Banana Bandit has been arrested. What the hell are they going to charge him with? Throwing a banana?

Beef Invictus 09-27-2011 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CountDownToImpact (Post 37167253)
The Banana Bandit has been arrested. What the hell are they going to charge him with? Throwing a banana?

Whatever the Great Waffler in Toronto was threatened with, I guess. I'm sure they have some sort of public disturbance law.

Larry44 09-27-2011 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RevUpThoseFlyers (Post 37165683)
I didn't know you could get arrested for being racist.

Did the banana hit Simmonds?

EDIT:

Doesn't matter if it hit him, it's illegal to throw anything on the ice.

zorz 09-27-2011 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry44 (Post 37167805)
Doesn't matter if it hit him, it's illegal to throw anything on the ice.

Then they should look for people throwing hats on the ice too :sarcasm:

Beef Invictus 09-27-2011 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zorz (Post 37168209)
Then they should look for people throwing hats on the ice too :sarcasm:

There's a bit of a difference. One is an expected part of the ice hockey experience; the other isn't.

hckyplayer8 09-27-2011 04:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
http://hfboards.com/attachment.php?a...1&d=1317157962

DetRedWings109* 09-27-2011 04:14 PM

Racism isnt and shouldnt be a crime by itself. Censoring thoughts is dangerous.

FlyersCup08 09-27-2011 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BringBackStevens (Post 37166969)
Arrested for what exactly? Being an a-hole?

Maybe nothing, but if it's a black officer that makes the "arrest" you can bet that guy will get an *ss kicking and then given a misdemeanor as a formality.

zorz 09-27-2011 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Invictus (Post 37168287)
There's a bit of a difference. One is an expected part of the ice hockey experience; the other isn't.

Sorry, but technically there is no difference. 99 people expect hats being thrown. 1 expects banana on the ice. Is their opinion better, because they are majority? ... btw. what about octopus, is that expected part of hockey? Is it worse to throw banana than octopus? :sarcasm:

hckyplayer8 09-27-2011 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zorz (Post 37169005)
Sorry, but technically there is no difference. 99 people expect hats being thrown. 1 expects banana on the ice. Is their opinion better, because they are majority? ... btw. what about octopus, is that expected part of hockey? Is it worse to throw banana than octopus? :sarcasm:

Lets be serious. The fact a banana was thrown at a black player, it is self evident that it was racially motivated.

While having a racial opinion is not a crime, the league could press charges if an object is tossed on the playing surface by a fan.

So in reality, its up to the league/arena to press charges.

I could see how throwing an object on the ice...outside of the normal hats/squid...could make the league want to spin up a bogus player endangerment, harassment charges on the person just to get the message across this sort of conduct is unacceptable.

Beef Invictus 09-27-2011 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zorz (Post 37169005)
Sorry, but technically there is no difference. 99 people expect hats being thrown. 1 expects banana on the ice. Is their opinion better, because they are majority? ... btw. what about octopus, is that expected part of hockey? Is it worse to throw banana than octopus? :sarcasm:

Octopus is a different matter. It freezes to the ice and is difficult to remove. It's more disruptive. Hats...not so much. If the NHL or Detroit wants to consider the octopods to be disruptive, they can.

If someone decides the hats are disruptive, they can do the same thing.

Edit: 99 people think it's wrong to rob people. 1 person thinks it's OK. Because the one person thinks it's legit, does that make it legal? No. That attitude makes all laws pointless.

Devonator 09-27-2011 04:51 PM

This is getting bloody ridiculous....all over some idiot that threw a banana...unreal....great spending of taxpayer's money....while were at it, we had better arrest Simmons for calling avery a bad name....ohhhh....people are way way to sensitive in these dangerous times!

Devonator 09-27-2011 04:53 PM

Detriot 109...absolutely true...it comes under free speech....this is getting to Orwellian and sadly most people probably will disagree with your sentiment....if someone calls me a bad name, so what....however is someone threatens my life, then you have crossed the line.....

funghoul 09-27-2011 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DetRedWings109 (Post 37168479)
Racism isnt and shouldnt be a crime by itself. Censoring thoughts is dangerous.

especially when it is Assumed that the fruit in question was chosen because it is enjoyed by monkeys. I think its reasonable to think it was chosen for the other reason it is a part of the history of comedy in that people tend to slip on them when thrown. it happens everyday on scooby doo. considering simmonds was chosen to go first during the shootout, it is possible it was random, not racism and everyone else are scum for thinkin the monkey thing. why just the other day, someone threw crackers at me. i didnt care. i just assumed it was cause i was eatin soup.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:26 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.