HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Wolski and his QO (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=992941)

iamitter 09-28-2011 11:42 AM

Wolski and his QO

Pretty simple question: What kind of season would Wolski have to put up for the Rangers to qualify him next season?

Say he puts up a 70 point season - his RFA rights must be worth something then.

pld459666 09-28-2011 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamitter (Post 37199381)
Pretty simple question: What kind of season would Wolski have to put up for the Rangers to qualify him next season?

I think if he put up that kind of season, the Rangers would work on a longer term deal providing more security in terms over overall value and dollars, but I think the number would be about the same as it is now

3.8 to 4.2 million

Inferno 09-28-2011 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamitter (Post 37199381)

it really all depends. whats worth more to this franchise, signing wolski for like 4.5 mil or whatever his QO is....or signing Zach Parise for 7 mil.

imho, Parise should be the teams #1 priority this offseason.

Parise - Richards - Gaborik
Pack Line
Kreider - Stepan - MZA
Rupp - Boyle - Prust

Staal - Girardi
Sauer - MCD
MDZ - Erixon

SERE 24 09-28-2011 11:49 AM

Pretty interesting question. I feel like we won't qualify him no matter what, and if we wanted him back, we'd just try and negotiate a short-term deal that takes significantly less and asks him to prove he'll perform to that standard consistently, but at the same time, not qualifying him after a 70 point season (for example) and allowing him to become a UFA isn't very good asset management either (although, I'm not sure any intelligent GM would offer him 4M even if he did put up 70 with Richards and Gaborik, after looking at his history and then his linemates). I think the best solution is to trade him at the deadline if he's putting up big points :laugh:

pld459666 09-28-2011 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inferno272 (Post 37199583)
it really all depends. whats worth more to this franchise, signing wolski for like 4.5 mil or whatever his QO is....or signing Zach Parise for 7 mil.

Pack Line
Kreider - Stepan - MZA
Rupp - Boyle - Prust

Staal - Girardi
Sauer - MCD
MDZ - Erixon

I agree with this 100%

I also do not believe for one second that he gets to 07/01/12 without a long term deal from the Devils.

SERE 24 09-28-2011 11:57 AM

I'd rather have Shea Weber than Zach Parise :sarcasm:

Kreider could develop into a top line LW within 1-2 years (start him on the third line, give him some PP time with the big dogs, if there's chemistry by the end of the year, start slotting him on the first line to see how he looks - he has the wheels to keep up and should be a good compliment to that line - hard for him not to succeed with those two, at worst he'd be there full time the next year).

Miller could be a top-six forward two years from now as well. Why go sign another top-six to a long term deal? I understand Parise is Parise, but for the money, the slot could be filled from within.

Weber on the other hand...

Just imagine a defense with:

Staal - Weber
McD - Girardi
Erixon - Sauer

In front of Lundqvist?!

Kreider - Stepan - Gaborik
Weber - Richards

On the PP?!

Drool inducing. McD and Sauer would both be a year older/more experienced than they are right now and Erixon may have had his year in the AHL to develop into a very steady kid for that third pair, especially if he's going to be next to Sauer full time.

And yes, I know this is worthless pipe dream hypothetical territory. But I think Weber is more likely to leave Nashville than Parise is to leave NJ.

NYR Viper 09-28-2011 11:59 AM

Yeah, if he has a great season, they may look to deal his rights. There are a lot of factors that play into this as well like:

Has MZA solidified himself as an NHLer?
Has Kreider taken another step in his development?
How close do they think Miller is?
Will Parise hit the open market?
How much cap space will they have after re-signing there home-grown guys?
What is the cap at?

wolfgaze 09-28-2011 11:59 AM

60+ points and a consistent season....

SERE 24 09-28-2011 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 (Post 37199975)
Yeah, if he has a great season, they may look to deal his rights. There are a lot of factors that play into this as well like:

Has MZA solidified himself as an NHLer?
Has Kreider taken another step in his development?
How close do they think Miller is?
Will Parise hit the open market?
How much cap space will they have after re-signing there home-grown guys?
What is the cap at?

Biggest question mark before we can have these kind of discussions, IMO.

KreiMeARiver* 09-28-2011 12:03 PM

Quote:

Pack Line
Kreider - Stepan - MZA
Rupp - Boyle - Prust

Staal - Girardi
Sauer - MCD
MDZ - Erixon

I would LOVE to see this lineup for next year.

I feel like we deserve Parise, after drafting Jessiman over him in 2003.

jniklast 09-28-2011 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MPF24 (Post 37200053)
Biggest question mark before we can have these kind of discussions, IMO.

Right after: will there be a new CBA?

SERE 24 09-28-2011 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jniklast (Post 37200281)
Right after: will there be a new CBA?

Well yeah, I meant as opposed to in previous years when you could assume it would stay the same or go up slightly, this time there is no certainty whatsoever. The cap could go down, we could see a new system used, etc. I doubt the league would allow another lockout to take place when the game is just getting its momentum back, but there's no knowing what the new CBA will say.

Stugots 09-28-2011 01:04 PM

I think if Wolski (assuming he's on the 1st line) maintains consistency and chemistry with Gaborik and Richards for a majority of the season, and finishes with a good point total, then they should bring him back. By "good" point total I guess I mean at least 50 or 55. Obviously if Parise is there than he is option #1, but I have my doubts that he will be available.

allstar3970 09-28-2011 01:09 PM

Quote:

Pack Line
Kreider - Stepan - MZA
Rupp - Boyle - Prust

Staal - Girardi
Sauer - MCD
MDZ - Erixon

Would love to have him

i can only imagine the cap $-lovers (the people who seem to think the most cap space wins championships) bugging out at the thought of 3 $7 mill players + Hank :laugh:

Drewbackatu* 09-28-2011 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pld459666 (Post 37199645)
I agree with this 100%

I also do not believe for one second that he gets to 07/01/12 without a long term deal from the Devils.

He won't but if he does, the Debbies might as well fold up their tent and move out. Parise is the epitame of the type of player talent and personality wise that you build your team around. Suffice it to say, I hope and pray Zach makes it to free agency!

Drewbackatu* 09-28-2011 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MPF24 (Post 37199901)
I'd rather have Shea Weber than Zach Parise :sarcasm:

Kreider could develop into a top line LW within 1-2 years (start him on the third line, give him some PP time with the big dogs, if there's chemistry by the end of the year, start slotting him on the first line to see how he looks - he has the wheels to keep up and should be a good compliment to that line - hard for him not to succeed with those two, at worst he'd be there full time the next year).

Miller could be a top-six forward two years from now as well. Why go sign another top-six to a long term deal? I understand Parise is Parise, but for the money, the slot could be filled from within.

Weber on the other hand...

Just imagine a defense with:

Staal - Weber
McD - Girardi
Erixon - Sauer

In front of Lundqvist?!

Kreider - Stepan - Gaborik
Weber - Richards

On the PP?!

Drool inducing. McD and Sauer would both be a year older/more experienced than they are right now and Erixon may have had his year in the AHL to develop into a very steady kid for that third pair, especially if he's going to be next to Sauer full time.

And yes, I know this is worthless pipe dream hypothetical territory. But I think Weber is more likely to leave Nashville than Parise is to leave NJ.

It's great to dream about, no doubt. I love Parise but the thought of having a crack at the 2nd most physically intimidating defenseman in the league(after Chara of course) playing next to Staal would be absolutely and positively scrumptious!

SupersonicMonkey* 09-28-2011 01:41 PM

I wouldn't bring Wolski back no matter how much he produces this year.

I don't have enough faith in him as a player to be consistent enough to be worth what ever ridiculous contract he would get if he has a big year.

And if he has a so-so or average year, re decision is easier.

n8 09-28-2011 01:46 PM

if he doesn't produce, he's not worth bring back.
if he does produce, he's going to be looking for a decent amount of change.

either way, give me Parise over Wolski.
$7.5M for Weber is another option but that much money on a d-man always makes me uncomfortable. How much will Staal want when he's a UFA? Bad precedent.

SERE 24 09-28-2011 01:51 PM

Staal's not even close to Weber territory though, and I love Staal and think he's typically underrated by other fans. If Weber got 7.5, I'd give Staal in the neighborhood of 5-5.5M, which is only 1-1.5 more than he makes now.

Weber is Norris caliber, tremendous physical game, intimidation, leadership, high offensive upside. Look at the numbers he puts up playing in NSH, one of the least offensively potent teams around and then imagine him with our newly developed forward depth and Richards on the point on the PP with him. He averages 15-20 goals and 40-55 points playing with the Preds. If he can potentially IMPROVE on those numbers, while playing Norris caliber defense for us and bringing the physical snarl to the back end that we've been looking for, I definitely would prefer to go after Weber over Parise. Not sure, however, why I just spent so much time arguing it when neither is a likely reality.

redfzn 09-28-2011 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drewbackatu (Post 37202845)
He won't but if he does, the Debbies might as well fold up their tent and move out. Parise is the epitame of the type of player talent and personality wise that you build your team around. Suffice it to say, I hope and pray Zach makes it to free agency!

not kovalchuck?

NYR Viper 09-28-2011 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MPF24 (Post 37203971)
Staal's not even close to Weber territory though, and I love Staal and think he's typically underrated by other fans. If Weber got 7.5, I'd give Staal in the neighborhood of 5-5.5M, which is only 1-1.5 more than he makes now.

Weber is Norris caliber, tremendous physical game, intimidation, leadership, high offensive upside. Look at the numbers he puts up playing in NSH, one of the least offensively potent teams around and then imagine him with our newly developed forward depth and Richards on the point on the PP with him. He averages 15-20 goals and 40-55 points playing with the Preds. If he can potentially IMPROVE on those numbers, while playing Norris caliber defense for us and bringing the physical snarl to the back end that we've been looking for, I definitely would prefer to go after Weber over Parise. Not sure, however, why I just spent so much time arguing it when neither is a likely reality.

Yeah, that would be a difficult decision. Weber or Parise..........

Can't go wrong with either one.

iamitter 09-28-2011 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey (Post 37203551)
I wouldn't bring Wolski back no matter how much he produces this year.

I don't have enough faith in him as a player to be consistent enough to be worth what ever ridiculous contract he would get if he has a big year.

And if he has a so-so or average year, re decision is easier.

I don't necessarily mean bringing him back for us. I mean just qualifying him so that we can trade his rights - which should, I think, bring back something.

Beacon 09-28-2011 02:22 PM

WW had 65 points the season before last. If he gets 70 this season, that's two great seasons in three years. If that happens, he deserves his $3.8 qualifying offer regardless of anything else. If you can get a 0.8 to 0.9 ppg player for $4, you do it.

We can still free up space for Parise. With Avery, Feds and Christ leaving, plus over $2 coming off the books for Drury, we have $48,733,334 tied up already with $15,566,666 available.

Estimated salaries to be added, rounded up to the nearest million:

Wolski: $4
MDZ: $1
Another Defenseman (Eminger/Kundratek/Parlett): $1
Third line rookie (Hagelin/Kreider/Bourque): $1
Weise: $1

That's $8, with about $7.5 left over for Parise.

We can afford to re-sign either Wolski or Zuccarello, and have enough space for Parise, but we cannot afford both WW and MZA.

Honestly, I would only match WW's contract if he matched his 2009-10 season of 65 points in 80 games. Anything short of that and he would have to take a paycut.

Beacon 09-28-2011 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MPF24 (Post 37199901)
I'd rather have Shea Weber than Zach Parise.

No way. We need a LW much more than we need a D. The D will resolve itself through our youth.

Beacon 09-28-2011 02:28 PM

Interesting stat: in 2009-10, only 10 LWs outscored Wolski.