HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Value of: McBain to NYR (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=993931)

DrSutton* 09-29-2011 08:34 PM

McBain to NYR

This was brought up in the Rangers are looking for defenseman thread so I thought I'd make it official - McBain to NYR what would it cost? Is it even feasible?

Finnish your Czech 09-29-2011 08:36 PM

a lot more than Gunnarsson

Sarcastic 09-29-2011 08:37 PM

A lot more than Gunnarsson and Bozak.

Wraparounds 09-29-2011 08:37 PM

I'd be willing to part with Del Zotto/Kreider/Thomas for him. I see no reason why the Canes would move him though.

Alvvays 09-29-2011 08:38 PM

What are Carolina's needs? I'd gues some NHL-caliber 3rd/2nd line depth, maybe? A player who can play with Staal?

Don't think the two are optimal trading partners.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wraparounds (Post 37263567)
I'd be willing to part with Del Zotto/Kreider/Thomas for him. I see no reason why the Canes would move him though.

You'd move Kreider to acquire McBain? Compare the Rangers' D and LW depth:

LW: Dubinsky, Wolski, Fedotenko, Rupp, Avery; Kreider, Fasth

to

D: Erixon, Staal, Girardi, Del Zotto, Sauer, McDonagh; McIlrath, Valentenko, Eminger

I'd argue that the Rangers are dealing from a position of weakness to add to a position of strength, which is not a very efficient plan when it comes to asset management.

Boom Boom Anton 09-29-2011 08:42 PM

Quote:

The ONLY reason the Canes would consider moving him (and I'm not saying they would) is if the Canes feel Faulk and/or Murphy are truly ready for the NHL. The Canes have an abundance of "offensive" defensemen in Pitkanen/Kaberle (signed for 3 years), McBain (RFA after this year), Faulk and Murphy.

The Canes "needs" are a true 2nd line center, a top 6 winger, and a "defensive" defensman who can play top 4 minutes in the next year or two.

I don't see the Rangers having a 2nd line center or top 6 winger to spare...so it would have to be a top 4 "defensive" defenseman for it to make any sense for Carolina.

DrSutton* 09-29-2011 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Finnish your Czech (Post 37263499)
a lot more than Gunnarsson

Makes sense seeing that he's a way better player right?

Wraparounds 09-29-2011 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Boyle (Post 37263613)
What are Carolina's needs? I'd gues some NHL-caliber 3rd/2nd line depth, maybe? A player who can play with Staal?

Don't think the two are optimal trading partners.

You'd move Kreider to acquire McBain? Compare the Rangers' D and LW depth:

LW: Dubinsky, Wolski, Fedotenko, Rupp, Avery; Kreider, Fasth

to

D: Erixon, Staal, Girardi, Del Zotto, Sauer, McDonagh; McIlrath, Valentenko, Eminger

I'd argue that the Rangers are dealing from a position of weakness to add to a position of strength, which is not a very efficient plan when it comes to asset management.

Value-wise, it's there. Arguing what teams would actually do on this silly forum is asinine. All about establishing value.

Kershaw 09-29-2011 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton (Post 37263825)
The ONLY reason the Canes would consider moving him (and I'm not saying they would) is if the Canes feel Faulk and/or Murphy are truly ready for the NHL. The Canes have an abundance of "offensive" defensemen in Pitkanen/Kaberle (signed for 3 years), McBain (RFA after this year), Faulk and Murphy.

The Canes "needs" are a true 2nd line center, a top 6 winger, and a "defensive" defensman who can play top 4 minutes in the next year or two.

I don't see the Rangers having a 2nd line center or top 6 winger to spare...so it would have to be a top 4 "defensive" defenseman for it to make any sense for Carolina.

The only players that truly fit those needs from the Rangers are Stepan, Anisimov, Staal and Girardi. I think dealing any of those players for a minimal upgrade or massive downgrade in the case of Staal is an automatic no-go.

I think at the deadline if the team is playing very well and some of the younger defenseman are struggling, I'd offer a package of Christain Thomas and a 2nd Round Pick for McBain, which it seems fair value. I'm not sure if the Canes, however would be interested in adding a small (albeit skilled) winger when they already filled that role with Skinner. However I do remember seeing posts where Skinner may move to center, not sure about this hopefully a Hurricanes fan can fill me in on this. If he is moved to center, I could see interest in Christain Thomas.

iamitter 09-29-2011 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kershaw (Post 37266327)
The only players that truly fit those needs from the Rangers are Stepan, Anisimov, Staal and Girardi. I think dealing any of those players for a minimal upgrade or massive downgrade in the case of Staal is an automatic no-go.

I think at the deadline if the team is playing very well and some of the younger defenseman are struggling, I'd offer a package of Christain Thomas and a 2nd Round Pick for McBain, which it seems fair value. I'm not sure if the Canes, however would be interested in adding a small (albeit skilled) winger when they already filled that role with Skinner. However I do remember seeing posts where Skinner may move to center, not sure about this hopefully a Hurricanes fan can fill me in on this. If he is moved to center, I could see interest in Christain Thomas.

Sauer and McDonagh can't play top 4 minutes as defensive d-men? They already did that last year...

Kershaw 09-29-2011 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamitter (Post 37266737)
Sauer and McDonagh can't play top 4 minutes as defensive d-men? They already did that last year...

There may be some setbacks and sophomore slumps for the young defense core.

iamitter 09-29-2011 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kershaw (Post 37267315)
There may be some setbacks and sophomore slumps for the young defense core.

With the style they play? I doubt it.

BPD 09-29-2011 11:55 PM

if we get mcbain we should keep mcilrath up and sign mccabe and roll with mcdefense.

txpd 09-30-2011 07:05 AM

carolina is nhl hockey on a budget. players like mcbain overperform their salary cap hits. it makes no sense for rutherford to trade him. in fact most nhl would never part with a young player with top half of the lineup ability.

you are barking up the wrong tree all together

Ih8theislanders 09-30-2011 08:14 AM

Stepan would be fair value, imo.

bernmeister 09-30-2011 09:54 AM

Quote:

Big NO on moving Kreider.

Clipitar 09-30-2011 10:19 AM

The Rags really lack some pure offensive flair on their back-end.

NYR Viper 09-30-2011 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clipitar (Post 37280145)
The Rags really lack some pure offensive flair on their back-end.

With Erixon, MDZ and Parlett(sleeper) they have some offensive d-men. However, I would move Sauer for McBain and play the (2) Wisconsin kids together (McDonagh)

Trxjw 09-30-2011 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 (Post 37280481)
With Erixon, MDZ and Parlett(sleeper) they have some offensive d-men. However, I would move Sauer for McBain and play the (2) Wisconsin kids together (McDonagh)

I'd be on board with that. Not sure it would get it done, and I've been a Sauer supporter for years. Doesn't address the issue of the bottom pairing, but I like having a puck mover in the top-4. Especially one who isn't completely inept in his own end.

Clipitar 09-30-2011 11:07 AM

Quote:

Erixon hasn't proven anything and MDZ is an average year away from being shipped out of town. They could provide that back-end offense they're currently lacking, but I would still be worried about so much uncertainty if I were a Rags fan.

NYR Viper 09-30-2011 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clipitar (Post 37281811)
Erixon hasn't proven anything and MDZ is an average year away from being shipped out of town. They could provide that back-end offense they're currently lacking, but I would still be worried about so much uncertainty if I were a Rags fan.

MDZ isn't a year from anything. He is 21.

Erixon has proven quite a bit actually playing for a few seasons in the SEL and playing in the World Championship winning Team Sweden at the end of last year.

With the amount of quality young defensemen the Rangers have, it's not exactly a source of worry for the Rangers.

Liferleafer 09-30-2011 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrSutton (Post 37264115)
Makes sense seeing that he's a way better player right?

True, but aren't the rangers just looking for a depth D man to fill in while Staal is out?

Boondock 09-30-2011 12:22 PM

Quote:

I'm sure you would, but why would Carolina trade the better, younger, and higher potential player? I'd think Stepan or AA would need to be in the equation for Carolina to even think about it.

DrSutton* 09-30-2011 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liferleafer (Post 37283829)
True, but aren't the rangers just looking for a depth D man to fill in while Staal is out?

Yes, but the rangers still need to add more offense overall. This would be more a long term move than a stop gap for Staal.

pld459666 09-30-2011 01:02 PM

McBain is a nice player, but he's not the type of player I am shipping out blue chip prospects for.

No Kreider, no Thomas.

If that means we do not get McBain, that's more than fine with me.