HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Islanders (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Waived: Devils M.Fraser and M.Corrente on waivers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=996489)

LAPPY13 10-03-2011 02:05 PM

Devils M.Fraser and M.Corrente on waivers

Its Garth Snow waiver time! Snow going to pick one of these two D-men!

leeroggy 10-03-2011 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LAPPY13 (Post 37405511)

Fraser definitely not, but Corrente is still only 23 and worth thinking about.

TheBoss22 10-03-2011 02:16 PM

I think Snow is done with DMEN unless someone outstanding is available.

Does anyone have a pro contract tally?

Just wondering how close we are to the 50 player limit.

StrongIslanders90 10-03-2011 02:18 PM

Depth never hurts...especially with our team....

desmond 10-03-2011 02:26 PM

Are they better than Reese?

LAPPY13 10-03-2011 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desmond (Post 37406323)
Are they better than Reese?

Both Fraser and Corrente are better than Reese because both play a mean, shut-down game and are very good fighters! We need some bad-ass guys on our blue-line. Not milk and cookies guy like Reese.

I would rank Mark Fraser as being a little better than Matt Corrente but both are good young mean D-men. Just what Isles defense can use.

CanseiDeSerBreakcore 10-03-2011 02:55 PM

Quote:

I thought Fraser was a LW, not a d-man. :dunno:

Corrente wouldn't hurt, though. Once a top prospect for Jersey, as Montoya and Grabner were for their respective teams. Supposedly he may be a little injury prone, but he plays mean. Wouldn't hurt, even if only to keep Reese/Wishart/Mottau in Bridgeport longer.

Snow likes his low-risk reclamation projects....besides, maybe if it works out, we can call it payback for giving the Devils cap relief with the Hunter/Rolston trade.

Sidney the Kidney 10-03-2011 02:59 PM

Fraser's better defensively, Corrente can actually move the puck up ice, neither are more than bottom pairing guys (at best) currently.

BillD 10-03-2011 03:37 PM

Corrente waived? Really?
Somewhat surprised. He does play an edgy game, will throw down and battle, but that is the best of his game.

JPIsles21 10-03-2011 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LAPPY13 (Post 37406967)
Both Fraser and Corrente are better than Reese because both play a mean, shut-down game and are very good fighters! We need some bad-ass guys on our blue-line. Not milk and cookies guy like Reese.

I would rank Mark Fraser as being a little better than Matt Corrente but both are good young mean D-men. Just what Isles defense can use.

You make them sound incredible. "Mean, shut-down game." The Devils are a team starved for talent on defense. In fact, one can make a strong argument that the Isles defense corps is better than that of the Devils. With that being said, how are 2 guys the Devils deem incapable of playing in the NHL be an upgrade for the Isles?

Not saying that the Isles shouldn't take a shot at a young former 1st rounder. Just saying we tend to glorify other teams' young waived players. Much like I'm sure other fans glorified the recently-waived Ty Wishart. Make no mistake about it, if either play was a combination of mean and shut-down, they'd be top 4 dmen. Neither player is currently good enough to shut down a line in the AHL, let alone the NHL.

LAPPY13 10-03-2011 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPIsles21 (Post 37412855)
You make them sound incredible. "Mean, shut-down game." The Devils are a team starved for talent on defense. In fact, one can make a strong argument that the Isles defense corps is better than that of the Devils. With that being said, how are 2 guys the Devils deem incapable of playing in the NHL be an upgrade for the Isles?

Not saying that the Isles shouldn't take a shot at a young former 1st rounder. Just saying we tend to glorify other teams' young waived players. Much like I'm sure other fans glorified the recently-waived Ty Wishart. Make no mistake about it, if either play was a combination of mean and shut-down, they'd be top 4 dmen. Neither player is currently good enough to shut down a line in the AHL, let alone the NHL.

I hear you and agree on most of your points. I was just answering a question about who is better Reese or Fraser/Corrente and it was an easy choice of Fraser/Corrente but that really does not say much. I still feel I would much rather have Fraser or Corrente over Eaton and Mottau on the Islanders blue-line.

åboriginal 10-03-2011 06:53 PM

both suck. do not want. im glad theyre off the devs, but more than likely fraser will be on albany and corrente will be....elsewhere.

IslesNorway 10-04-2011 02:19 AM

How come everybody seems to think that everybody elses players are always better than our own? The Devils are no better than the Isles and these guys are deemed not good enough for them, so why should they improve us? OK, so they play a different style but Garth is looking for a top 4 guy and these guys are not.

leeroggy 10-04-2011 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPIsles21 (Post 37412855)

All waiver wire pickups that work fit that bill. LA thought Moulson was not good enough and the Panthers thought Grabner was not good enough. Calgary thought Martin St. Louis was not good enough.

Not just in hockey does this occur. Dan Uggla was a Rule 5 player and look what he has done. Organizations make these mistakes all the time.

JPIsles21 10-04-2011 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leeroggy (Post 37435351)
All waiver wire pickups that work fit that bill. LA thought Moulson was not good enough and the Panthers thought Grabner was not good enough. Calgary thought Martin St. Louis was not good enough.

Not just in hockey does this occur. Dan Uggla was a Rule 5 player and look what he has done. Organizations make these mistakes all the time.

I said earlier in the post that I wouldn't mind taking a shot at either. It's a no-lose situation when you pick up a young player.

However, taking a waver on someone isn't the same as declaring them an upgrade over what we already have. Either guy is likely an upgrade over Reece. But is either guy an upgrade over any of our top 6? Highly doubt it. But the chance that they may be in the future is worth taking a shot if the Isles management feels said player(s) are worth the shot.

redbull 10-04-2011 10:43 AM

What does it say about our defense that TWO players waived by another lottery team is an upgrade for us. Out of sheer shame I wouldn't claim either of them.

But I'll trust Snow with that decision. After all, he's accountable for the team on-ice.

LAPPY13 10-04-2011 01:11 PM

Quote:

Looks like I was wrong, both Fraser and Corrente cleared. Not the first time and wont be the last I am wrong! LETS GO ISLANDERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr Bojanglez 10-04-2011 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goaljudge (Post 37409377)
Corrente waived? Really?
Somewhat surprised. He does play an edgy game, will throw down and battle, but that is the best of his game.

He WAS a first round pick... albeit late in the round... and he likely would have lasted for the 2nd round that year.

Simply put, he's been passed by on the depth chart. I don't think they lost hope in him... but they'd rather risk losing him to a waiver claim and putting him down in the AHL.

Tough kid... has some skills. Probably hasn't gotten a fair / consistent shot.

Fraser is a tough, SAH Dman. He's... an OK 7th dman. Has a big heart though, and will throwdown.