HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   building lungs? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=996751)

ConoR187 10-03-2011 06:32 PM

building lungs?

I quit hockey and just recently game back to an adult league after about 5 years. I made it through the whole game, but man was I winded terribly for about the whole 2nd half of the game, felt like I could have done a lot better if my lungs were better. Any tips? I figured there could be something better to do then just running a lot. Thanks for any help.

flyers10 10-03-2011 06:45 PM

On ice do suicides,Herbies, whatever you want to call them. More games you play the better your lungs will feel. Off ice interval training (sprints,stationary bike) is good for the short burst then rest period that happens in hockey shifts.

mbowman 10-03-2011 06:52 PM

i can't remember what they're called officially, so i just call em triangles. we do em a lot in rugby, and theyre great. you can do em in a gymnasium, but a field works better. basically you walk along the shortest side, jog the length, then sprint back along the hypotenuse. do 8-10 of those on a good sized field and you'll definitely be feeling it after.

hope that made sense...

SERE 24 10-03-2011 07:27 PM

Everyone will have their own drills and suggestions for different kinds of HIIT that you can do, but the long and short answer is really that you just need to do cardio. Intensively. Is HIIT good? Yeah, and you will benefit from it if you go that route, but regardless, just doing lots of cardio will help you with this problem. You don't HAVE to do HIIT. If you do want to, the rugby triangles above are a very good way to do it, but if you just want to hit the bike/treadmill, make sure you push yourself and you'll still achieve the desired effect.

MagnusPaajarvi 10-03-2011 10:34 PM

you could also do for corners, although it is not fun

Kritter471 10-03-2011 11:20 PM

Depending on what you mean by "winded" and other allergy-type issues/personal health history, there's a very slight possibility you might have asthma. The cold, dry air at a rink and the anaerobic nature of hockey makes it perhaps the worst sport for asthmatics, guaranteed to trigger symptoms if you go into it untreated (and for someone like me, guaranteed to trigger symptoms even with treatment, though mostly just burning, wheezing and coughing for 24-48 hours after the game).

There is such a thing as adult-onset asthma that can be very mild and mostly triggered by exercise. If you've got symptoms with most forms of heart-rate elevation or notice wheezing or a hacking, mucus-y cough for more than a few minutes after the game, talk to your doctor.

Of course, like you suggested, it's always possible you're just out of shape. :-)

Jarick 10-04-2011 10:23 AM

If it's your first time on ice you'll get back in shape with time. Running hills or stairs is probably the easiest and quickest way to get your lungs back.

I'm willing to bet it's not asthma or allergies. For several years I was having coughing fits after games and given a few inhalers and steroids and what not, nothing worked. Did lung testing, talked about COPD, lots of random stuff.

Then I did an intense circuit workout 3x a week for a month and it went away. Simplest answer is usually correct; I was out of shape!

Mansfield 10-04-2011 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbowman (Post 37420399)
i can't remember what they're called officially, so i just call em triangles. we do em a lot in rugby, and theyre great. you can do em in a gymnasium, but a field works better. basically you walk along the shortest side, jog the length, then sprint back along the hypotenuse. do 8-10 of those on a good sized field and you'll definitely be feeling it after.

hope that made sense...

Good idea, gonna try this.

newfr4u 10-04-2011 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarick (Post 37439303)
If it's your first time on ice you'll get back in shape with time. Running hills or stairs is probably the easiest and quickest way to get your lungs back.

I'm willing to bet it's not asthma or allergies. For several years I was having coughing fits after games and given a few inhalers and steroids and what not, nothing worked. Did lung testing, talked about COPD, lots of random stuff.

Then I did an intense circuit workout 3x a week for a month and it went away. Simplest answer is usually correct; I was out of shape!

agree on hill sprints. work your way upto 10-15-20 30 second intervals with under 30 seconds rest.

Wease 10-04-2011 08:47 PM

Elliptical. Better on your joints, nearly the same benefits as running and better than biking. Running the elliptical hard for 30 minutes (among other things) helped me lose 90 pounds and get back into great playing shape. Now nearing 40, I have no problems keeping up with those half my age... :)

izzy3 10-05-2011 07:15 AM

Try the Tabata on a stationary bike.

Marotte Marauder 10-05-2011 07:34 AM

Not super heavy but do high rep sets of full squats and deadlifts. 4-5 sets 20-25 reps per set.

People will think there's a locomotive in the room when you're done.

Plus you'll be developing key hockey muscles. Good luck!!

Gibson19 10-05-2011 08:28 AM

High Intensity Interval Training is where its at.

Run for 60 seconds at full speed, walk for 90 seconds, repeat.

Also just play more. I didn't do much of anything this summer except for the league and at the beginning I was dying by the second period. 10 games later I can stay out on the ice probably 50 percent longer and still have good energy.

Nighthock 10-05-2011 08:44 AM

... with legos?

jorbjorb 10-05-2011 01:40 PM

it's all about getting a stronger heart.

cardio cardio cardio! intense cardio! tread mill or run outside.

Logie 10-06-2011 08:28 AM

Jogging and sprints has helped me no end, although i need to keep at it as i still start flagging on the last few shifts.

But when im on the ice, i give 100% always, alot of people dont and they dont get as tired/drained/fatigued etc

Maccas 10-06-2011 09:16 AM

It might sound a bit silly but what got me surviving a lot longer into games is stopping as little as possible.
When at the blueline I was always circling as its so much easier to speed up from already moving than it is from a complete standstill.
Just by doing this I managed to play a lot better and a lot longer than I could before.

Jarick 10-06-2011 12:52 PM

Lifting heavy weights will definitely get your lungs going and heart pumping. Especially squats and deadlifts.

Maccas I've been working on that too this summer. When you start and stop it's like doing Herbies, it will wear you out. If you keep moving and circling/transitioning, you keep your momentum going.

Gotta do a mix of the two.

SERE 24 10-06-2011 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maccas (Post 37517439)
It might sound a bit silly but what got me surviving a lot longer into games is stopping as little as possible.
When at the blueline I was always circling as its so much easier to speed up from already moving than it is from a complete standstill.
Just by doing this I managed to play a lot better and a lot longer than I could before.

This is undoubtedly true. I mean, it's still important to have good cardio and if you're so winded by the end of the game that you're looking for advice on how to increase your capacity for cardiovascular activity, you should probably do some running, HIIT, weight lifting, etc. to get your self going off the ice, but all of that said, the best players don't ever stand still on the ice, and don't ever really stop moving.

When I'm covering the point as a winger, I'm not standing near my guy, I'm circling up so that at the peak of my circle I'm within a stick length of the guy, and at the bottom of my circle I'm at the top of the slot, keeping my head on a swivel and making sure I know if my point-man tries to sneak in back door or anything. When we're breaking out, I don't skate to a designated area and wait there, because that's where we were told is the ideal place to make the outlet pass... I circle through that area, keeping my head up, looking back at the puck carrier as often as I can (depending on the traffic in front of me) and keeping my tape in a position that he can hit my stick. In the offensive zone, same thing. I don't go to an area of the ice and tap my stick for a pass. I swoop in and out of the open areas, making sure my tape is open. There's no way to eliminate the stop and start from hockey, but the more you limit it, the better your game will be.

IslesZoso 10-06-2011 04:41 PM

Speaking of building lungs, we had exactly ONE player on our bench last night. By the middle of the 2nd period, my legs were like jello... my thighs and calves were cramping up.

I pretty much stayed out there for the entire 3rd period, and needless to say we got creamed 13-2.

Oddly enough, I felt a surge of energy and a second wind towards the end of the period. It was strangely exhilirating. Can anyone shed some light on how/why that happens?? I'd love to be able to feel a second wind ALL the time LOL.

SERE 24 10-06-2011 05:00 PM

I don't know enough to really answer but I believe its something along the lines of your body burning all of the junk and 'cheap' energy until you feel depleted and then finally tapping into the more pure sources of energy after all the initial junk is gone. Could be totally off but I think I read something to that effect a few times.