HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Opening Night Roster Announced (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=997337)

TMI 10-04-2011 04:08 PM

Opening Night Roster Announced

http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.h...id=DL|NSH|home

Ekholm made it. Fisher and Bouillon on IR.

Mods: feel free to merge with the training camp thread if you want

Soundgarden 10-04-2011 04:12 PM

It's nice to see Smith and Ekholm on the list, but you have to wonder how much good it will do Ekholm. I'm sure he'll learn a lot from being up here, but I think I'd rather let him play in Milwaukee for a while.

PredsV82 10-04-2011 04:14 PM

OK, so Fisher going on IR means hes out at least 7 days, right?

has he been practicing/skating, doing anything at all??

I remember first it was "maybe I'll be ready by opening night, maybe not" now its IR...

does anyone know if he's had a setback, or is just being extra cautious, or what??

AtlantaWhaler 10-04-2011 04:15 PM

Weber-Suter
Blum-Klein
Laasko-Ekholm
Hillen

??

Soundgarden 10-04-2011 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PredsV82 (Post 37452719)
OK, so Fisher going on IR means hes out at least 7 days, right?

has he been practicing/skating, doing anything at all??

I remember first it was "maybe I'll be ready by opening night, maybe not" now its IR...

does anyone know if he's had a setback, or is just being extra cautious, or what??

Paper today said that he has started skating with the team and practiced shooting with a goalie.

101st_fan 10-04-2011 04:19 PM

What impact, if any, does making the club out of camp have on Ekholm's SEL clause?

PredsV82 10-04-2011 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler (Post 37452753)
Weber-Suter
Blum-Klein
Laasko-Ekholm
Hillen

??

I expect a rotation with the bottom three alternating scratches. not sure they will put two rookies out there together this early

KevFist 10-04-2011 04:23 PM

I'd expect Hillen on the bottom pairing ith Laasko and Ekholm rotating in and out

barrytrotzsneck 10-04-2011 04:42 PM

Erat Smith Kostitsyn
Bergfors Legwand Wilson
Hornqvist Geoffrion Smithson
Tootoo Spaling Halischuk

O'Reilly
Stortini

Suter Weber
Klein Blum
Hillen Laakso
Ekholm

Rinne
Lindback

AtlantaWhaler 10-04-2011 04:50 PM

Who goes when Fisher is back?

I assume this is a mini tryout between Ekholm and Laasko before Cube comes back.

barrytrotzsneck 10-04-2011 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler (Post 37454259)
Who goes when Fisher is back?

I assume this is a mini tryout between Ekholm and Laasko before Cube comes back.

Geoffrion or Smith. Only two waiver eligible.

AtlantaWhaler 10-04-2011 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck (Post 37454377)
Geoffrion or Smith. Only two waiver eligible.

I guess that's the other mini tryout. Got it.

MrJoshua 10-04-2011 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck (Post 37453881)
Erat Smith Kostitsyn
Bergfors Legwand Wilson
Hornqvist Geoffrion Smithson
Tootoo Spaling Halischuk

I'd go with:

Erat O'Reilly Kostitsyn
Bergfors Legwand Wilson
Hornqvist Geoffrion Smith
Tootoo Smithson Spaling

I just can't see Smith jumping right into the top-line center spot and doing anything but falling flat on his face. That's a lot of pressure to put on a kid who just came out of college and hasn't played a single professional game yet. Put him on a line with Geoffrion and Hornqvist - a couple of guys who will go to the net and take advantage of the way he likes to shoot from anywhere and everywhere.

Then keeping the Tootoo-Smithson-Spaling line together allows them to continue functioning as the shutdown/energy line. A role they were pretty successful at last season, especially after Tootoo got back and in the playoffs.

Rotate Geoffrion, Halischuk and Smith as the scratch until you decide who sticks when Fisher gets healthy.

bishop12 10-04-2011 05:03 PM

Who's the top unit PP?

TMI 10-04-2011 05:21 PM

I would imagine the top PP unit will be Suter and Weber on the blueline with Legwand, Erat, and SK up front. Or maybe toss Hornqvist in there. Or maybe Wilson. Or Bergfors. Or Smith.

(it's hard to tell what Trotz will do with the PP since we don't really have clear top line)

barrytrotzsneck 10-04-2011 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrJoshua (Post 37454457)
I'd go with:

Erat O'Reilly Kostitsyn
Bergfors Legwand Wilson
Hornqvist Geoffrion Smith
Tootoo Smithson Spaling

I just can't see Smith jumping right into the top-line center spot and doing anything but falling flat on his face. That's a lot of pressure to put on a kid who just came out of college and hasn't played a single professional game yet. Put him on a line with Geoffrion and Hornqvist - a couple of guys who will go to the net and take advantage of the way he likes to shoot from anywhere and everywhere.

Then keeping the Tootoo-Smithson-Spaling line together allows them to continue functioning as the shutdown/energy line. A role they were pretty successful at last season, especially after Tootoo got back and in the playoffs.

Rotate Geoffrion, Halischuk and Smith as the scratch until you decide who sticks when Fisher gets healthy.

I'm just going on who played with who in preseason.

If Smith or Geoffrion are going to be scratched--EVER--they need to be in Milwaukee.

I'm also extremely nervous about O'Reilly as the top line center...

PredsV82 10-04-2011 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck (Post 37455697)
I'm just going on who played with who in preseason.

If Smith or Geoffrion are going to be scratched--EVER--they need to be in Milwaukee.

I'm also extremely nervous about O'Reilly as the top line center...

agree with this... play Smith and Geoffrion, and if they both can hang, too bad Cal O

if one is clearly struggling, send him down and plug oreilly in until Fisher gets better

if they both struggle, send them both down, and use Legwand, Oreilly, Spaling and Smithson at center until Fisher is better...

I Will Son 10-04-2011 05:45 PM

If Ekholms staying then he is playing. They shouldnt waste him in the box, if he is you would think they would send him down to the AHL to play.

CalleJAMkrok 10-04-2011 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I Will Son (Post 37456277)
If Ekholms staying then he is playing. They shouldnt waste him in the box, if he is you would think they would send him down to the AHL to play.

could just be a trick so he doesnt go back to the SEL :laugh: :sarcasm:

Glad to see him on the roster. Even more excited for the season.

Panopticon 10-04-2011 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I Will Son (Post 37456277)

Yeah. You'd think that if they wanted someone to sit in the box until Bouillon is healthy, they would've gone with Sloan. Maybe they will indeed alternate between him and Laakso. I hope they don't sit Laakso in the box too much either, though.

I heard from a reliable source that Laakso has been told to look for an apartment in Nashville, so I at least assume it means he's not going to ride the bus much this season.

triggrman 10-04-2011 09:02 PM

This team has outgrown Bouillon.

TMI 10-04-2011 09:06 PM

Even if Ekholm sits in the box until Bouillon comes back to take the presser chair, he can still practice with the team here. He will be coached by some guys who have done a pretty good job developing defensemen. He can get used to the smaller ice without playing games. While I would rather have him learning on the ice in actual games in Milwaukee, perhaps slotting him in as the #7 to start the season was something they used to keep him in the United States.

token grinder 10-04-2011 09:28 PM

another thing on ekholm that may help in the decision to keep him here-how well is he adjusted to American life? In Milwaukee, I am sure there is support and all that jazz, but is there another swede there? here he has hornquist and lindback, who I would guess he would know and would help him adjust better. just a thought

TMI 10-04-2011 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by token grinder (Post 37465389)
another thing on ekholm that may help in the decision to keep him here-how well is he adjusted to American life? In Milwaukee, I am sure there is support and all that jazz, but is there another swede there? here he has hornquist and lindback, who I would guess he would know and would help him adjust better. just a thought

Interesting thought. Don't forget Bergfors ;)

Seth Lake 10-04-2011 10:30 PM

Lines from practice this week (per Cooper):

Kostitsyn - Spaling - Erat
Wilson - Legwand - Smith
Smithson- O'Reilly - Tootoo
Halischuk - Geoffrion - Hornqvist
Stortini - Fisher - Bergfors

Looks like Stortini and Bergfors are the scratches right now...