HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Prospects (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   FC's 2012 NHL Draft '5 Questions' - October Article. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=997681)

DanStewartFC 10-04-2011 09:42 PM

FC's 2012 NHL Draft '5 Questions' - October Article.

Over at www.futureconsiderations.ca there is an article up where FC's Director of Scouting takes five questions submitted by draft junkies and fans and answers them in a column for the fans.

September's Five Questions

Quote:

2012 has more questions than answers

FC’s scouting director Dan Stewart tackles Dumba, Russians, goaltenders and fallers in his inaugural edition of ‘Five For Stewart’.

Have a question about the 2012 NHL Entry Draft? Send it to Dan via email at danstewart@futureconsiderations.ca or via Twitter.

1. Does Matt Dumba have the potential to be the first drafted defenseman in 2012?

Not only does Dumba have the potential to be the first defenseman selected but I except him to...

October's Five Questions

Quote:

Injuries a storyline in the 2012 draft

FC’s scouting director Dan Stewart tackles Gianluca Curcuruto’s potential, how injuries will impact the draft stock of Alex Galchenyuk, Martin Frk and Ryan Murray, as well as potential picks that are re-entering the draft in ‘Five for Stewart’.

Have a question about the 2012 NHL Entry Draft? Send it to Dan via email at danstewart@futureconsiderations.ca or via Twitter.

1. Will NHL teams be able to get a future NHL defensemen if they miss out on the top talent like Ryan Murray, Mathew Dumba, Nick Ebert, Morgan Rielly, etc. later in the draft?

FC currently has 21 defensemen ranked in our second and third rounds for the 2012 draft so the talent will be there for sure.

I am going to show my hand a little here and let you know that I think Sault Ste. Marie defenseman Gianluca Curcuruto is an absolute stud...
Leave your questions here, on the FC site comments section or send your questions directly to danstewart@futureconsiderations.ca and see them answered in the next column.

massivegoonery 10-04-2011 09:44 PM

Your site will never load in my browser.

DanStewartFC 10-04-2011 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by massivegoonery (Post 37468701)
Your site will never load in my browser.

What are you using?

massivegoonery 10-04-2011 10:43 PM

I've been looking into it a little more and it's not the browser - I can't even ping you. Tracerts are getting to secureserver.net and then timing out all over the place.

EDIT: Looks like it's a problem on my end - http://forums.att.com/t5/Features-an...y/td-p/2711141

Rabid Ranger 10-05-2011 09:21 AM

Interesting article, although I think Trouba belongs in the conversation as first d-man to be drafted. I see him having an Erik Johnson like rise this year as more scouts get a better look at him. He's a more polished player than say Dumba and has a more projectable frame.

IkeaMonkey* 10-05-2011 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger (Post 37479013)
Interesting article, although I think Trouba belongs in the conversation as first d-man to be drafted. I see him having an Erik Johnson like rise this year as more scouts get a better look at him. He's a more polished player than say Dumba and has a more projectable frame.

Agreed. :)

R S 10-05-2011 12:44 PM

I like Trouba alot too, but haven't seen him enough to rate him above Dumba or Murray. :(

DanStewartFC 10-16-2011 01:53 PM

Looking for some good questions from the HFBoards population.

Tormentor 10-16-2011 05:29 PM

I was looking through the stats and noticed that Coda Gordon (Swift Current Broncos, WHL) and Phillip Di Giuseppe (Univ. of Michigan, NCAA) are off to a pretty good start this season. It would be nice to get an idea of their possible draft status at some point in the future.

Aaron Vickers 10-16-2011 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tormentor (Post 38021303)
I was looking through the stats and noticed that Coda Gordon (Swift Current Broncos, WHL) and Phillip Di Giuseppe (Univ. of Michigan, NCAA) are off to a pretty good start this season. It would be nice to get an idea of their possible draft status at some point in the future.

I actually just talked to Gordon tonight, so I'll fire you off a message when the story goes up!

dean youngblood82 10-17-2011 03:02 PM

Question:

There is a lot of speculation that Alex Galchenyuk's injury could be much more severe than initially thought. ISS has Galchenyuk ranked (in October rankings) 17th behind other injured players like Marcantuoni (12th) and Frk (14th). Personally, this seems obsurd to me to have AG that low (even with his injury). How much could you see Galchenyuk's potential injury hurting his draft stock? How low could he fall in your opinion?

dean youngblood82 10-17-2011 03:08 PM

Another Question:

Tons of defensive depth in the 2012 Draft and a few stud Forwards. Do you feel that if a team cannot land a top defenseman (and they need one) like Murray, Dumba, Ebert, etc. that the depth of the defensemen through the middle of the draft allows them to take a forward with upside and draft their "need" on defence in a later round?

For example, if I am selecting 9th or 10th and I have missed out on players like Yakupov, Grigorenko, Forsberg, Murray (a need), Dumba (a need), Reilly (a need) then I might opt to pick a forward like Athanasiou, Marcantuoni, or Frk and then hope that a defenseman like Ceci, Curcuruto, Matheson (just examples) falls to me in the early 2nd round.

What are your thoughts?

bberry 10-17-2011 03:42 PM

Interesting to see Reinhart starting to slip eh mr announcer scout. I remember it being laughable that I said he was on the same path as David Musil...seems to be heading that way???

R S 10-17-2011 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bberry (Post 38052757)
Interesting to see Reinhart starting to slip eh mr announcer scout. I remember it being laughable that I said he was on the same path as David Musil...seems to be heading that way???

I can admit when I'm wrong.

You're right, so far Reinhart has struggled and is slipping. He's deserving of his slip too as his skating has not only not improved, it seems to be holding him back.

It's weird though, because skating was not an issue at all for him last season.

I'm still confident that he will turn it around this year and stay in the top 10-12 in the draft....so don't go counting your chickens before they hatch.

If Reinhart slips out of round 1 like Musil did, then I have no problem saying someone called it...if they actually did.

TheBakester66 10-18-2011 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 (Post 38051251)
Question:

There is a lot of speculation that Alex Galchenyuk's injury could be much more severe than initially thought. ISS has Galchenyuk ranked (in October rankings) 17th behind other injured players like Marcantuoni (12th) and Frk (14th). Personally, this seems obsurd to me to have AG that low (even with his injury). How much could you see Galchenyuk's potential injury hurting his draft stock? How low could he fall in your opinion?

I think that despite the injury, there is quite a bit of seperation at this point between Galchenyuk and Marcantuoni or Frk or anyone else for that matter.

Unless some guys start coming out of nowhere with meteoric climbs, and given the lack of high-end depth at forward this year, I still do not see Galchenyuk out of the top 5 or 6 in this years draft. Even if he doesn't play till January he'll get enough games in to reimpress scouts. Remember Brett Connolly's injury, which at the time was deemed as somewhat serious, and led to him playing only 16 games in the WHL, and he still went 6th overall to Tampa. I see Galchenyuk as a much more complete player than Connolly was at this point.

DanStewartFC 10-25-2011 07:35 AM

New column is up (see first post) with answers to some of these questions, including the injury bug that has hit some of the 2012 draft classestop end prospects.

IkeaMonkey* 10-25-2011 08:00 AM

FWIW, I don't see McNeeley getting drafted. He's probably the biggest disappointment of a goalie I've ever seen with the USNTPD.

ottawah 10-26-2011 05:55 AM

Its interesting to see you having Ceci so high, at least in comparison to other lists. I've been a big advocate of his, but as I see him 30+ times a year, I get to see all the little things he does that does not make the highlight film.

I think your scouting report on him is also pretty accurate. For me the question was always what can he produce? I expected he needed to produce at a point per game clip this year to move into the top 15. Any thoughts on the numbers he has to produce to be drafted top 10?