HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   News Article: JM: Budaj to start 22 games (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=997867)

macavoy 10-05-2011 07:45 AM

JM: Budaj to start 22 games

Ok he didn't exactly say that but if you do the math he did.

Quote:

Originally Posted by article
"I think Carey had an outstanding season last year and he was a big part of our success. In the off-season, we acquired Peter Budaj and hopefully he can take some games off Carey's responsibility. It's something that you have to judge and hopefully we're looking at probably 60 games for Carey during the season," explained Martin.

He talks about Price only starting 60 games. I'm glad that he's actively thinking Price really needs to rest more. I think he sees that Price played well in the playoffs but he didn't step up and steal games like he did during the regular season.

I don't think Price will get as low as 60 but I think his thinking is in the right spot and if it ends up 62-68 games, its better than 72 imo.

He does seem pretty high on Budaj though:

Quote:

Originally Posted by article
"We feel that we've improved our hockey club this off-season with the addition of Erik Cole and Peter Budaj.

Hawkguy 10-05-2011 07:47 AM

I don't see how Budaj is a huge upgrade on Auld, but okay. Cole is definitely an improvement though. But losing Hamrlik and Wiz doesn't exactly scream improvement.

Hamrlik, Wiz, Auld > Budaj, Cole.

Doesn't mean we won't be better (healthy Markov, younger guys developing, etc), but still. It's basically something he has to say.

Habs 4 Life 10-05-2011 07:53 AM

We have 13 back to back games this year, so I would expect at least 13 starts for Budaj.

neofury* 10-05-2011 07:55 AM

22 starts seems unreasonable unless Budaj was simply very rusty during preseason. I didn't feel he played very well but I don't blame him for a fair number of the goals as well. Being a backup with a bunch of junior and AHL players playing D against NHL vets isn't an easy task.

That said if he can be as good as Auld 22 doesn't seem like that big a deal, it will likely be against teams we should have no problem beating.

Ozymandias 10-05-2011 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neofury (Post 37477057)
22 starts seems unreasonable unless Budaj was simply very rusty during preseason. I didn't feel he played very well but I don't blame him for a fair number of the goals as well. Being a backup with a bunch of junior and AHL players playing D against NHL vets isn't an easy task.

That said if he can be as good as Auld 22 doesn't seem like that big a deal, it will likely be against teams we should have no problem beating.

Pretty sure Budaj will be good with the Habs. He's the type of goalie that fits into the Habs mold. Groulx is gonna have a lot more to work with having Budaj rather than Auld IMO.

katatoniak 10-05-2011 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neofury (Post 37477057)

Yeah right, habs have proven many times in the past that they have a tougher time to beat weaker team.

WeThreeKings 10-05-2011 08:10 AM

Budaj will only play back to back games. That's all I want him for.

Bob Cole 10-05-2011 08:22 AM

I dont like and trust Budaj as much as the next guy, but this is necessary. We cant expect to have a deep run in the playoffs with Price playing 70+ regular season games. Id give Budaj 15-20 starts.

Kriss E 10-05-2011 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natey2k4 (Post 37476937)
I don't see how Budaj is a huge upgrade on Auld, but okay. Cole is definitely an improvement though. But losing Hamrlik and Wiz doesn't exactly scream improvement.

Doesn't mean we won't be better (healthy Markov, younger guys developing, etc), but still. It's basically something he has to say.

Sure. But Budaj and Cole aren't the sole additions. What about Gorges and Markov?
Fine, you can have your doubts about Markov, but we signed him for 3years, so I'm pretty sure management expects him to play at least half the season this year. Gorges is supposed to start.
It isn't as simple as you make it sound.

habs03 10-05-2011 08:30 AM

I think Budaj is going to surprise a few people, he isn't as bad as he has played in pre-season. Don't forget last season, he played behind an Avs team that made Anderson look like an AHLer and once he got trade he did a lot better with the Sens. Also Budaj was in an #1-A/B role last season and played over 40 games, if you look at his numbers in the 2009 season when he played around 15 games, he had a decent .917 Sv%.

Beakermania* 10-05-2011 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozymandias (Post 37477233)
Pretty sure Budaj will be good with the Habs. He's the type of goalie that fits into the Habs mold. Groulx is gonna have a lot more to work with having Budaj rather than Auld IMO.

Amazingly enough, Colorado has not had a full-time goalie coach at any point during Budaj's career. I think Groulx will really help Budaj, but he needs some time to work with him, and there will be an adjustment. It wasn't going to happen overnight in training camp.

Metropolitsky 10-05-2011 08:48 AM

a 60-22-0-0 record is okay with me

Bullsmith 10-05-2011 08:51 AM

He needs to play at least 12-15. Lot riding on Mr. Budaj. I'm concerned about this signig, but I have some hope that he will respond well to coaching. Colorado didn't even have a full time goalie coach, apparently, and our current one has a good track record at this point, notably with big, athletic guys.

His preseason was awful, but to be frank so was Auld's last year. I sure hope he turns out to be a solid goalie. Playoff standings are too tight, you need to get points out of your backup too.

DumFries 10-05-2011 09:04 AM

I think Budaj is definitely an upgrade over Auld even though his pre-season play doesn't reflect that. Auld was not that better actually. One game against Carolina in particular last season, Auld was pretty awful.

Monctonscout 10-05-2011 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natey2k4 (Post 37476937)

we also brought in Yemelin Campoli and Diaz on defense.

Gabe84 10-05-2011 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carey Price (Post 37478841)
we also brought in Yemelin Campoli and Diaz on defense.

Also, don't forget that players like Eller, Subban, Pacioretty Weber and Desharnais *should* improve as they are getting adapted to the pace of the NHL.

neofury* 10-05-2011 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katatoniak (Post 37477251)
Yeah right, habs have proven many times in the past that they have a tougher time to beat weaker team.

"should have no problem" :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl Carmoni (Post 37477611)
I dont like and trust Budaj as much as the next guy, but this is necessary. We cant expect to have a deep run in the playoffs with Price playing 70+ regular season games. Id give Budaj 15-20 starts.

True enough but can you see us making the playoffs if Budaj plays 22 games? I can but I can also easily see it going the other way too. Say Budaj puts up a 7-13-2 record, even Price going 40-18-2 wouldn't land us a playoff spot then. :laugh:

JMMR 10-05-2011 10:11 AM

I think you guys are forgetting about Nate Lawson when he gets called up hallelujah the savior tandem will be in effect.

Ivan13 10-05-2011 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habs03 (Post 37477781)
I think Budaj is going to surprise a few people, he isn't as bad as he has played in pre-season. Don't forget last season, he played behind an Avs team that made Anderson look like an AHLer and once he got trade he did a lot better with the Sens. Also Budaj was in an #1-A/B role last season and played over 40 games, if you look at his numbers in the 2009 season when he played around 15 games, he had a decent .917 Sv%.

Are you aware that Anderson wanted out since the start of the season, because he wasn't offered a contract he wanted, altough he was offered a nice chunk of change for someone who had only one good season as a starter in the NHL? FYI he quit on the team from day one.

Please don't comment on things you obviously know nothing about, because you make yourself look foolish.

As for Budaj, he won't steal games for Montreal, he'll make most of the saves he needs to make, but nothing more than that.

habs03 10-05-2011 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ivan13 (Post 37481543)
You're aware that Anderson wanted out since the start of the season, because he wasn't offered a contract he wanted, altough he was offered a nice chunk of change for someone who had only one good season as a starter in the NHL? FYI he quit on the team from day one.

Please don't comment on things you obviously know nothing about, because you make yourself look foolish.

As for Budaj, he won't steal games for Montreal, he'll make most of the saves he needs to make, but nothing more than that.

So basically your saying that Anderson numbers last season with the Avs (3.28 GAA/ .897 SV%) was because he quit on the team and nothing to with the Avs D, which also had the worst PK in the league?

Strik_IX 10-05-2011 10:43 AM

I picked Price in my pool...

I want him to be a workhorse dammit!

le_sean 10-05-2011 10:51 AM

65 would be more reasonable. How can they give Carey 12 less games? This year will probably be even more of a dogfight with Buffalo and Toronto improving.

hototogisu 10-05-2011 10:55 AM

These are the kinds of things that coaches always say before the season starts. Then when you're in the thick of a playoff hunt, suddenly resting your star goalie seems like a less appealing idea. How many times have we heard the same about Kiprusoff, Luongo, Lundqvist, Brodeur, etc...

Et le But 10-05-2011 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ivan13 (Post 37481543)

And this is exactly what you want from a backup goalie who is going to play well under 30 goals.

I don't know what people are expecting, he wasn't brought in to be Halak. He's an upgrade over Auld IMO.

Ivan13 10-05-2011 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habs03 (Post 37481853)
So basically your saying that Anderson numbers last season with the Avs (3.28 GAA/ .897 SV%) was because he quit on the team and nothing to with the Avs D, which also had the worst PK in the league?

Avs D wasn't good as well (they were decent in the first quater of the season when Quincey and Hannan played, later on they weren't good because of Quincey's injury and Hannan getting traded), but I can assure you as someone that saw all the games he played for Colorado that Anderson didn't play with the same level of commitment as he did the season before. He sulked from the get go and it was obvious he didn't care about the team.