HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   TSN: Experts Predict Miller To Win Vezina (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=998477)

LGB24 10-05-2011 08:44 PM

Experts Predict Miller To Win Vezina

The NHL experts on TSN made a number of predictions before the start of the season and Miller ran away with the Vezina

Ryan Miller 50%
Luongo 10%
Fleury 10%
Thomas 10%
Rinne 5%
Price 5%
Bryzgalov 5%
Quick 5%

They also chose the sabres to finish 6th in the east

Gotta be honest, if Miller wins the Vezina I dont see a chance this team doesnt win the Northeast

dire wolf 10-05-2011 08:47 PM

I don't understand how you can predict the Vezina before the season starts. Makes no sense to me.

gallagt01 10-05-2011 08:49 PM

Miller doesn't even have to win the Vezina for this team to win the Northeast. He needs to play a lot better than he did last year, but not Vezina-calibre.

I think he'll have a big year with respect to the new D.

Robert 10-05-2011 08:49 PM

It's possible with a new defense in front of him, he will be ready every night tho and with some help just might be the best of the best; but it's way to soon to predict.

To be honest I hope he doesn't read or hear TSN.

Afino 10-05-2011 08:49 PM

Gives the talking heads something to talk about.

dire wolf 10-05-2011 08:53 PM

Oooh, look at me. I'm a "hockey expert"

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ky1bf81QrM...ystal_ball.jpg

CriminallyVu1gar 10-05-2011 09:07 PM

A lot of that is based on experts picking Boston to repeat as division champs, something I don't think will happen. It's one thing to pick a Vancouver or a SJ to win their division again because they're more talented than the other teams. But boston is a team that relied on a lot of guys having really good or career years. Statistically speaking, that doesn't repeat.

I think Boston isn't as healthy and doesn't get as good goaltending and settles in around 96 points.

dire wolf 10-05-2011 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CriminallyVu1gar (Post 37506253)
A lot of that is based on experts picking Boston to repeat as division champs, something I don't think will happen. It's one thing to pick a Vancouver or a SJ to win their division again because they're more talented than the other teams. But boston is a team that relied on a lot of guys having really good or career years. Statistically speaking, that doesn't repeat.

I think Boston isn't as healthy and doesn't get as good goaltending and settles in around 96 points.

Nice username! I am the son and the heir . . .

Timbo Slice 10-05-2011 09:17 PM

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Miller won. Personally, I think Lundqvist will win it, but Miller should be top 3 in voting.

HarryNealesGarden 10-05-2011 09:23 PM

50% (4/8) gave it to him in ESPN's projections too - Barnaby/Bucci/Levy/LeBrun

Robert 10-05-2011 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbo Slice (Post 37506549)
I wouldn't be surprised at all if Miller won. Personally, I think Lundqvist will win it, but Miller should be top 3 in voting.

Lundqvist is my pick as the best going into this season, that dude can play the game... we will see.

HarryNealesGarden 10-05-2011 09:36 PM

Really though, with a vastly improved defense in front of him, a deep and talented forward corps and the comfort of a new owner and a new wife... hey, why WOULDN'T the guy be a good bet?

dire wolf 10-05-2011 09:40 PM

If they are basing a Vezina prediction on better defense, then they don't understand how the award is supposed to work. Maybe they are thinking of the Jennings?

haseoke39 10-05-2011 09:45 PM

Quote:

If they are basing a Vezina prediction on better defense, then they don't understand how the award is supposed to work. Maybe they are thinking of the Jennings?
I'll counter in that case, that 30 NHL general managers don't understand how the Vezina is supposed to work. Most goaltenders who win it talk a lot about how the defense in front of them enables them to look as good as they do. I fully expect Miller to have a much better year statistically with better defense in front of him.

Sabretip 10-05-2011 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LGB24 (Post 37505385)
The NHL experts on TSN made a number of predictions before the start of the season and Miller ran away with the Vezina

Ryan Miller 50%
Luongo 10%
Fleury 10%
Thomas 10%
Rinne 5%
Price 5%
Bryzgalov 5%
Quick 5%

They also chose the sabres to finish 6th in the east

Miller seems perfectly capable - all one has to do is look at how Thomas went from the penthouse to the outhouse and back to the penthouse in span of 3 seasons. Miller's younger and has less of a rebound from last season than Thomas did. The Sabres' defense is every bit as good as the Bruins' defense IMO, which will increase Miller's chances for a 2nd Vezina even more.

Most media outlets seem to have the Sabres finishing anywhere between 3rd to 6th.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LGB24 (Post 37505385)
Gotta be honest, if Miller wins the Vezina I dont see a chance this team doesnt win the Northeast

Frankly, even if Miller doesn't win the Vezina, I think the Sabres win the Northeast. The team is much deeper and stronger now than they were 2 years ago, when Miller and Myers essentially carried them on their backs IMO.

dire wolf 10-05-2011 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabretip (Post 37507399)

Frankly, even if Miller doesn't win the Vezina, I think the Sabres win the Northeast. The team is much deeper and stronger now than they were 2 years ago, when Miller and Myers essentially carried them on their backs IMO.

Whether we win the NE will also have a lot to do with how good Thomas is this year, and whether Seguin will establish himself as an offensive force.

misterchainsaw 10-05-2011 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dire wolf (Post 37507249)

No goalie puts up the stats necessary to win the Vezina without a dedicated defense in front of him. Poor defense in front of you will adversely affect the numbers required to win the thing.

Eichel15 10-05-2011 11:32 PM

Steve Levy picks Buffalo to beat LA in the cup final.

glassjaw* 10-06-2011 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enrothorne (Post 37510449)
Steve Levy picks Buffalo to beat LA in the cup final.

That would be too good to be true.

dire wolf 10-06-2011 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jflory81 (Post 37509155)
No goalie puts up the stats necessary to win the Vezina without a dedicated defense in front of him. Poor defense in front of you will adversely affect the numbers required to win the thing.

Not sure if Hasek will back you up on that one.

Robert 10-06-2011 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dire wolf (Post 37511805)

:)...

misterchainsaw 10-06-2011 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dire wolf (Post 37511805)

Buffalo's defense from that era was rather underrated. They certainly weren't "poor".

TyMy57 10-06-2011 05:03 AM

if it means anything to anyone, i just played this upcoming season with the Sabres and he won the Vezina..

Gnuguy 10-06-2011 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dire wolf (Post 37505539)
I don't understand how you can predict the Vezina before the season starts. Makes no sense to me.

The entire notion of speculation or the Vezina in particular?

skibum 10-06-2011 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarryNealesGarden (Post 37507151)
Really though, with a vastly improved defense in front of him, a deep and talented forward corps and the comfort of a new owner and a new wife... hey, why WOULDN'T the guy be a good bet?

...and a legit backup for once!