HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Islanders (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   DiPietro Discussion Thread Part II (Post 746 **Placed on Waivers**) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=999511)

Homeland Security 10-06-2011 10:54 PM

DiPietro Discussion Thread Part II (Post 746 **Placed on Waivers**)
 
Continue on...


Part I here:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=833595

Bunk Moreland 10-06-2011 11:10 PM

Odds of DP getting the start for the home opener Saturday? If so whats the crowd reaction?

I think he will and I think there will definitely be some boo's which I noticed he started getting more and more last season.

bigdom1012 10-06-2011 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turnpike Terrors (Post 37565393)
Odds of DP getting the start for the home opener Saturday? If so whats the crowd reaction?

I think he will and I think there will definitely be some boo's which I noticed he started getting more and more last season.

He deff will get the start...and if its a sellout he wont get many boos because 14000 people there wont be the diehards like us ans theyll continue there dp bandwagon days from years ago...only boos will be from us fauthfull 2000 that have witnessed all his bs over the years n follow the tean closely

Bunk Moreland 10-06-2011 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdom1012 (Post 37566677)
He deff will get the start...and if its a sellout he wont get many boos because 14000 people there wont be the diehards like us ans theyll continue there dp bandwagon days from years ago...only boos will be from us fauthfull 2000 that have witnessed all his bs over the years n follow the tean closely

True there will be many not actual die hards there... I won't boo him personally but I think he will get his fair share

bigdom1012 10-06-2011 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turnpike Terrors (Post 37567035)
True there will be many not actual die hards there... I won't boo him personally but I think he will get his fair share

ill do the same thing i do every home opener...ill cheer him on and all since its the new season and everyone deserves a fresh start...but hes got 20 min to prove to me he can help otherwise hell hear it from me all the way up in 319 lol

Mr Wentworth 10-07-2011 08:10 AM

If he lets in a DP style bad goal, there will be some boos.

A second bad goal and there will be a "DP must go" chant.

StrongIslanders90 10-07-2011 09:25 AM

Im not drinking the kool aid yet but there was a big diff between DP last year and the year before to the one we saw in this preseason.....He was not struggling like last year to get up off the ice everytime he went down to make a saveand he was moving much better.....


However I just dont see how somone can be made off all these spare parts and be a pro Athlete......

Icedemon 10-07-2011 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan (Post 37573373)
If he lets in a DP style bad goal, there will be some boos.

A second bad goal and there will be a "DP must go" chant.

No, I say go with the "DP Sucks" chant. Sends a stronger message coming from the home crowd. Last Isles/rags game I went to with my old man, dp let in 2 or 3 horrible goals and when rags fans chanted dp sucks me and my dad joined in. My dad has been a fan since day 1 of the franchise and I have been cheering for this team for close to 20 years and neither of us has never liked dp.

Hockify 10-07-2011 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan (Post 37573373)
If he lets in a DP style bad goal, there will be some boos.

A second bad goal and there will be a "DP must go" chant.

So if your team winds up giving up just two goals you are gonna spend all your time taunting your own team instead of cheering for them to win? That is a strange opening night plan bro.

88th Precinct 10-07-2011 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockify (Post 37594603)
So if your team winds up giving up just two goals you are gonna spend all your time taunting your own team instead of cheering for them to win? That is a strange opening night plan bro.

How about this one: "Start Montoya! clap! clap! clap-clap-clap!" :D

I recognize how much of a polarizing figure that DiPietro is, but I gotta defend some of DP's naysayers, since the best thing he's done for the team in 4 years is muddle the goalie picture enough to help the Islanders fail hard enough to draft strong. Now that the team has the pipeline back and is (verbally) committed to winning, they need safe goaltending which we get from DP once in ten games.

I wouldn't drive across the country in familiar car with a knocking sound in the engine and I wouldn't push an oft-injured goalie to play at an elite level before testing him where a relapse/hiccup won't botch the Isles playoff chances. I'm not dissing your opinion, but the anti-DP faction has a logical argument, if not the best means of voicing it.

Montoya may not be a household name, but he was the guy with the best stats, both at last season's end and after this pre-season....that's good enough for me. Despite his contract, DP is only one player to wear the Islander jersey. If it takes the proper, season-long convalescence in Bridgeport to make the smartest call regarding where the team goes from there, there's no need to rush him to the roster when Nabokov and Montoya are both capable.

If he proves himself to be a superstar again, I'll gladly applaud and eat my words, since the ISLANDERS winning by any means necessary is what I'd like to see.....but the way he's trending, he likely won't. Reflexively, if he proves himself to be a stumbling block during/after this season, I hope the team does the right thing- play the best player, sit DP down with a doctor to tell him to do what needs to be done and retire, give him season pressbox tix for life and free the Islanders from a deteriorating goalie, whether or not his contract goes away with it,

Mr Wentworth 10-07-2011 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockify (Post 37594603)
So if your team winds up giving up just two goals you are gonna spend all your time taunting your own team instead of cheering for them to win? That is a strange opening night plan bro.

First of all, I'm not gonna be there.

Second of all, I'm talking BAD goals. Goals where he was wandering, trying to make a break out pass, has his head down on a faceoff, stuff like that.

Every goalie gets beat.

I'm talking pathetic shot from center ice Tommy Salo type of goals.

Hockify 10-07-2011 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan (Post 37600035)
First of all, I'm not gonna be there.

Second of all, I'm talking BAD goals. Goals where he was wandering, trying to make a break out pass, has his head down on a faceoff, stuff like that.

Every goalie gets beat.

I'm talking pathetic shot from center ice Tommy Salo type of goals.

I got ya on that. I'm just saying if a goalie lets in 2 goals (bad or not) your team should still be able to win a game. If they don't win I don't know if that's any goalie's fault.

Filppula 10-07-2011 10:38 PM

I drafted DiPietro into my fantasy team this year, and I'm nervous. I have him starting tomorrow.

All the best guys, and all the best to me! :laugh:

Isles Junkie 10-08-2011 12:27 AM

I guarantee he'll be booed when they introduce the players. Hell he was booed last year.

Let's not kid ourselves either about the people showing up tomorrow (or pretty much to any NYI game). The majority of fans who show up to watch this team play are the die hards. There really is no such thing as a casual Islanders fan. if there is, I haven't met him yet.

Icedemon 10-08-2011 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockify (Post 37609123)
I got ya on that. I'm just saying if a goalie lets in 2 goals (bad or not) your team should still be able to win a game. If they don't win I don't know if that's any goalie's fault.

When ever dp let in a bad goal or 2 early on the isles would fall apart. They never played with any swagger or confidence with him in net. They basically knew it would be a mountain to climb to get back in it. Cause as soon as they cut the deficit, dp would dig the hole a bit deeper. And he would blame the defense and forwards whether it was their fault or not. Cause in his mind he believes he can do no wrong

OlTimeHockey 10-08-2011 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icedemon (Post 37614163)
When ever dp let in a bad goal or 2 early on the isles would fall apart. They never played with any swagger or confidence with him in net. They basically knew it would be a mountain to climb to get back in it. Cause as soon as they cut the deficit, dp would dig the hole a bit deeper. And he would blame the defense and forwards whether it was their fault or not. Cause in his mind he believes he can do no wrong

I'll just say when DP is decent to awful, his teammates are hesitant, clog the crease for rebounds and stay in just to make sure someone is in the net. The bad goals are let downs. The guy just has either a competent game to good to very good or is just awful.

I won't boo him unless he's earned it, but if it's anything like last year, he shouldn't get any more than 10 games - enough to keep us out of the playoffs. I know he'll get more.

BTW.....If he loses the first game badly, I want him to be showered with a fire hose (First Blood style) and tied down and shaven and will someone please burn that stupid friggen hat? I wanna see how scrawny he's gotten since he stopped "working out."

DaMick 10-08-2011 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey (Post 37614337)
I'll just say when DP is decent to awful, his teammates are hesitant, clog the crease for rebounds and stay in just to make sure someone is in the net. The bad goals are let downs. The guy just has either a competent game to good to very good or is just awful.

I won't boo him unless he's earned it, but if it's anything like last year, he shouldn't get any more than 10 games - enough to keep us out of the playoffs. I know he'll get more.

BTW.....If he loses the first game badly, I want him to be showered with a fire hose (First Blood style) and tied down and shaven and will someone please burn that stupid friggen hat? I wanna see how scrawny he's gotten since he stopped "working out."

:laugh:

OpAck 10-08-2011 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isle Junkie (Post 37612497)
I guarantee he'll be booed when they introduce the players. Hell he was booed last year.

Wasn't he not even introduced last year...or was that the season before?

I may have my seasons of the "Rebuild The Rick" Project all mixed up.

OlTimeHockey 10-08-2011 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OpAck (Post 37626119)
Wasn't he not even introduced last year...or was that the season before?

I may have my seasons of the Rick DiPietro Rebuild Project all mixed up.

It's on DVD 5 in the red box.

HookeyPookey* 10-11-2011 06:15 AM

the irony that he is not injured and not starting:laugh: it's a lesson to learn though earn your spot, DP might get a chance if Montoya slows and he might not.

Brunomics 10-12-2011 02:41 PM

So according to Staple DP left practice early today after taking one to the face. That's the thing about those combo masks, if you take a direct hit your going to be really feeling it for awhile.

Dutch Frost 10-12-2011 02:57 PM

and so it begins.. I hope he is ok because facial fractures are serious business. look at Gary Busey's face.

http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infomo...ed:i=1.3240464

PhysicalGraffiti 10-12-2011 04:01 PM

Time for the DP haters and detractors to celebrate again.

I hope he doesn't miss any time and look forward to seeing him in between the pipes soon.

Homeland Security 10-12-2011 06:07 PM

Just a heads up, anyone celebrating an injury to any player will be infracted and removed from the discussion thread. Consider this your warning!

onesinceforty 10-12-2011 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct (Post 37823217)
Just a heads up, anyone celebrating an injury to any player will be infracted and removed from the discussion thread. Consider this your warning!

Why the warning? Nobody is even CLOSE to celebrating an injury to one of our players. I am always skeptical of DP's attitude and how it effects team chemistry but would never hope for an Islander to get hurt and I don't see that from anyone else either. I respectfully would say the tone of your warning was not necessary.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:36 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.