Thread: Gym workouts
View Single Post
Old
07-26-2007, 10:22 AM
LordHelmet

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by koh19 View Post
So if I understand correctly, I should wait 2-3 days before re-visiting the same muscle. Lots of people have told me to go 4-5 times a week....! When I go to the gym, I do every single part of the body; calves, hamstrings, quadriceps, abs, pectorals, biceps, triceps, shoulders, back,.... Should I go three times a week if I do all this. Since the gym is quite far from where I live, I try and do as much as I can every time, that's why I take 2 hours.
First off, how old are you? If you're 15 or 16, just give it time. Whatever you're doing will help, but your body will add size on it's own.

Anyway, assuming you're older - like 18+.. First rule, don't train a muscle that's sore from a previous session. The growth you're after is occurring during the transition from fatigued & sore to fully recovered.

Second rule, if you're fully recovered after only one day of rest, you're probably not training hard enough on the first day. (there are some exceptions to this) You need to add intensity.

Adding strength & mass for hockey generally means heavy weights, low reps. For each movement, find a weight that you can only lift 5-7 times. After a couple of weeks, you'll be able to do more than 8 reps, so add weight to bring them back down into the 5-7 range.

Now, the whole body, three times a week, lower weight, higher-reps thing *does* have it's place, but that type of routine should be taken up closer to the start of the season.

From what I've read, you should use the first half of the offseason to add strength & mass. The next quarter to concentrate on removing lactic acid (I forget the technical term for this) then in the last quarter, add in some quickness/agility/plyo work.

Regardless of whether you're on a heavy/low rep or light/high rep cycle, every set should be performed to near muscular failure. If you aren't straining to push out that last rep or two, you aren't really accomplishing that much.

LordHelmet is offline   Reply With Quote