View Single Post
Old
07-27-2007, 09:16 PM
renodave

vCash: 500
From the Burke press conf On the offer from Lowe:

I thought that was gutless. I have no problem with offer sheets. They’re part of the CBA [Collective Bargaining Agreement]. But in my opinion, Edmonton has offered a mostly inflated salary for a player, and I think it’s an act of desperation for a general manager who is fighting to keep his job.

Offer sheets are a part of the CBA and I have no problem with that. If you can identify a player and pay him appropriately and make him an offer, that’s fine. At some point, the deals you make, the offers you extend, whether the team matches it or not, impacts all 30 teams, including your own.

So who gets to decide what's appropriate? Ultimately, the marketplace decides. Burke pays Bertuzzi $4M/yr for 2 years - a guy who might never recover from his back injury - and then suggests that an offer for an up and coming player who scored almost 30 goals last year is over paid at $4.2 million? I don't know why he's mad at Lowe. If anything, I think he should look in the mirror, he was the one that put the Ducks in this predicament by granting Selane and Niedermeyer "all the time the needed" and then going out and signing two high priced FA's which left the team vulnerable. At a minimum, he should have asked Selane and Niedermeyer to commit one way or another before the FA period started. While it was magnanimous of him to give them more time, it was utilmately detrimental to the team.

Last edited by renodave: 07-27-2007 at 09:45 PM.
renodave is offline   Reply With Quote