View Single Post
Old
07-31-2007, 11:27 AM
chosen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I don't think anybody said this: "someone must spend their entire career or at least the bulk of their career in a Rangers jersey to be considered worthy". However, it is something that should be considered.

One problem with these arguments is that noone sitting here saying that Park should not have had his jersey hung to the rafters. I personally did not see him as a Ranger (I did, but at 5/6 years old, I didn't know squat), but I'll trust the opinion of those who have. I cannot tell you what criteria the Rangers organization uses for determining if a jersey shall hang, although it must be pretty stringent considering the few that are hanging. I think we all believe that a guy who played 17 seasons as a Ranger, played in over 1,000 games and amassed nearly a point-per-game as a defenseman over that time, who served as their captain, who won a Conn Smythe as a Ranger, who is the Rangers' all time leading point-getter in the playoffs (of course you need to make the playoffs and play in many games, but I think Leetch has very good playoff stats even considering the number of games in which he played - a point per playoff game for a defenseman - not too shabby). And let's forget about everything else. He was the face of the Rangers for such a long time it - and produced as a Ranger - which makes it hard to honor.
I have never questioned the fact that Leetch is 100% deserving of the honor. He does deserve it.

Graves, on the other hand, qualifies under no known criteria. The only reason that anyone could possibly believe otherwise is if they became hockey fans in the early 90's and don't understand how few have gotten the honor.