Thread: Trades Redux
View Single Post
Old
03-09-2004, 10:46 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Grade the Trades

Let's look over all the trades so far and grade them, eh?

1. Dowd to Montreal for 4th rounder in 2004.
Dowd was set to be an UFA, and is 34 years old. Was recently hurt. Decent playmaker - good leader. Has never scored more than 13 goals in a season. Had only 2 assists in 15 playoff games last season. Would have liked a 3rd, but hey, he's a rent a player. GRADE: B+

2. Jason Marshall to SanJose for 5th rounder in 2004.
33 year old defense/winger/fighter. Spent most of this season in the minors. Brings heart and little else. That DR got anything for him is to be commended. GRADE: A

3. Darby Hendrickson and 8th rounder in 2004? to Colorado for 4th rounder in 2005.
Darby could play some good hockey if given the ice time, which was less and less the case for the Wild, only 42 games over the last 2 seasons. Cleared waivers earlier this season. Clearly no longer in the Wild's plans. Again, any gain in assets here is a plus. GRADE A-

4. Sergei Zholtok and Brad Bombardir to Nashville for 3rd and 4th round pick in 2004.
Last year this deal could never have happened, but Bomber's play has dropped off the table this season, no doubt due to his bad back. Chronic back trouble is not a highly sought commodity in defensemen. Zholtok, well, this one hurt a little; he's been my favorite Wild the last couple seasons. But both these guys are set to be UFAs, and while the Wild could have brought them back, it's probably time to turn the page. Both guys are from 72, and probably have peaked. Given Dowd was worth a 4th, I think a 3rd for Zholtok is fair, again, rent-a-player. A 4th for Bomber is also about right, although last season he might have netted more. My heart says the Wild should have gotten more, but looked at objectively, it's a fair trade. GRADE: B

5. Brad Brown and 56th rounder from 2005 to Buffalo for 4th rounder from 2005.
Brown was wasting away in the pressbox this season. His skating woes are well-chronivcled, but they were offset by his work-ethic and heart. Was going to be an RFA next season, but likely wouldn't have received a qualifying offer. Again, it's something for nothing, although maybe the pick we sent could have been lower, like the Darby trade. GRADE: B-

Overall, I like these trades - they free up roster space for some of the younger guys, while building the Wild's pool of draft picks. I'll miss Zholtok, but that's about it.

Gee, I wonder what TSK thinks of the trades? ....