Thread: RJ Umberger
View Single Post
Old
03-09-2004, 04:14 PM
Park #2

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
Here's some info on Umberger from a Canucks' fan.

IMO, he reminds me a lot of Anson Carter. Both have pretty good size(Umberger is 6'2" 205lbs), good shot, good speed, but neither is a real physical player. Umberger's biggest strengths are his skating stride and shot. He'll probably make his career on the wing as the defensive pressure will be lessened and Umberger isn't a strong defensive player, at least at this time. I see him peaking at a solid 2nd line forward, capable of 20-25 goals and around 50 points, very similar to Anson Carter.

As for his contract status, apparently Burke and Umberger were only about $150,000 apart on base salary, the bonus structure is unknown though. Burke supposedly offered between $700,000-750,000 base while Umberger was seeking in the $900,000 range, not an extraordinary ammount considering his accomplishments in college and where he was drafted.

If the Rangers can get him under contract, you guys have got a pretty good prospect. I can see Umberger willing to sign in New York as long as Sather gives him a pretty good contract. And with the Rangers going through a re-build, Umberger should have a pretty good chance to play some games at the NHL level during the next season.

Burke offered $625,000 base in year one, then $675,000, then $725,000 with a $600,000 bonus. Second Lowest for a first rounder that year. Umberger wanted competitive with his "classmates" in that draft.

I got to know RJ through US Development program a bit - his offensive upside is much better then Carter, he has better hands and a better nose for the net.