View Single Post
Old
03-09-2004, 07:03 PM
paul99

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
The CBA has nothing to do with Kastsitsyn. The problem is the NHL/IIHF contract that expires this summer. Untill a new deal is done, no players can be brought over from any Euro league (that's my understanding). But a new contract should be done. The problem is Russia, who wants transfer fees to go up a lot, especially for 1st rounders.

I don't think it will be as bad as it seems, but it will most likely cost more money to bring over Kastsitsyn, but he'll be brought over if he wants to play over here next year. At the time of the draft he said in an interview that he may not come over for 2 years, but a lot of time has passed and money talks. Hopefully he's signed cause he's one of the most skilled prospects I've seen in the Habs organization.

I would guess and say it's going to cost around 1M to bring him over, as I can't see the IIHF holding up the NHL. (or I hope not) If he's brought over I would think he plays some in the AHL, but I wouldn't be shocked to see him in the NHL. Think a slightly bigger Perezhogin with more offensive skill and much less defensive skill as a starting place to get an idea of if he could play in the NHL. Actually I think when Timmins said Kastsitsyn was NHL ready, I disagree 100%. He is lost in his own end, sort of like Ribeiro when he was first in the NHL. But I've only seen Kasty twice, so my opinion means little. I just can't see him in the NHL, as he will have a tough time in his own end, but other then that, he's got the skating, speed, shot, passing to play in the nhl now. imo
If there is a lock out, there is a serious possibility that there won't be any hockey played in AHL. Some NHL owners are so serious about the negociations they want to play that hard. This has been said by Guy Carbonneau. The reference is on HF pages.

I have seen Kastsitsyn play 5 games last year in Sydnet, NS. I would be very surprised, as you are, that he could already play next year in the NHL. I like him anyway.