View Single Post
Old
08-07-2007, 09:06 AM
AdmiralPred

vCash: 500
This all doesn't sound that far off from growing up in Wisconsin. You'd get the standings and a list of scores just about everyday in the local paper for the IHL and NHL, Sundays you'd get the WCHA standings. Then we'd get the Milwaukee paper and there would at least be a few blurbs about NHL games and the usual MilAds write-up a few pages in.

Most of my hockey news, pre-internet, had come from picking up the weekly/monthly publications around the various arenas where I played. "Hockey Digest", "Let's Play Hockey", "Sporting News", I think there was a "Pro Hockey Weekly" that was laying about at one of the rinks near Green Bay.

Not much hockey on TV save for the glory days of ESPN with Tom Meese in the pre SCA days. The MilAds didn't get much air time outside of the occassional Friday night game and 20 second clip on the 10 o'clock news.

Although, there was a stretch back when the Bradley Center opened, 1988, when there was quite a buzz. The IHL was pretty much entering its little hayday and there were talks of NHL expansion along with all of the college tournements and the success of the UW men's program. All this began to fade about 1992/93.

AdmiralPred is offline   Reply With Quote