View Single Post
Old
08-08-2007, 04:43 PM
zacn

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
But once again, you don't know if Hossa or Heatley will be available next summer. It's possible they never hit the market.
That's true but I have always hated the concept in sports to go out and get the best of that particular year's free agent pool without considering future options and how the current decisions will affect your ability to be in on them.

Look at baseball for an example. How much money did Barry Zito and Gary Mathews make last fall? Neither of them deserve those types of contracts and both are clearly not elite players. But because there was no one deemed better for that particular year, teams threw ridiculous offers at them. How would you feel as a Giants fan when they can't go after a better pitcher like Santana (not saying they actually would) because they made their bed with Zito, who is half the pitcher? This is what I worry about down the road.

I hope I'm wrong and all the first line stars that would fit perfectly with this team are signed before they hit the market...i doubt it though.