Thread: Ot: Lotr
View Single Post
Old
03-10-2004, 11:57 AM
Fitzlax99

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SatherExecutioner
First of all almost every modern fantasy writer creates a world with rich history a map and usually creates a few words, but nobody is going to waste their time creating new language, I don't know what point it serves. Besides I heard that Tolkien's language is very close to some Scandinavian language.

Second, if you want to examine the books extremely deep then I am sure you will find a lot of other books have a much deeper meaning than LOTR. LOTR is overhyped and overrated. Yes Tolkien deserves credit for being the first or one of the first to write fantasy, but if you compare it to any modern fantasy or any regular literature like historical fiction, LOTR just lacks in substance. It is really sad how mediocre works such as LOTR and Harry Potter are getting all the attention when there are much better books out there. BTW A Song of Ice and Fire is going strong--it already has a comic book based on it, a collectible card game similar to magic the gathering, a board game, and soon probably a computer game, there might be an animated series based on it, but probably no movies because the plot is so big and complex and the cast of characters is huge.
You are so "that guy". You are that guy whos favorite song has to be the most obscure one on the most obscure album, whos favorite movie is something by Jean-Pierre Jeunet.

I hate "that guy".

Good to see you back Pasha... Shapa...whoever