View Single Post
Old
03-10-2004, 10:03 PM
Diesel

vCash: 500
The Bertuzzi fallout

Alot of sports journalists around the country have been pointing to the Bertuzzi incident as an indication that the NHL needs to legislate all physical violence (including fighting) out of the game. I don't see how you can reach that conclusion based on what happened. If anything, I think fighting would have prevented that incident. If there were no instigator rule, Brad May would have taken care of Moore in the same game that he through the cheap hit on Naslund and that would have been that. Yes, hockey is in trouble, and yes, there are probably some people that aren't interested in hockey because of the violence. But i think that legislating fighting out of the game would alienate more fans than it would gain. I know that, personally, the day they take fighting out of hockey is the day i stop watching it permanently. And I know ALOT of other people feel the same way. I don't watch hockey just because of the fights, but its a huge part of the sport and actually adds some modicum of entertainment to these ho hum 3-1 games that have become the norm in the NHL these days. Thoughts?