View Single Post
Old
03-11-2004, 03:25 PM
GoM

vCash: 500
1. Everyone is a homer. Everyone is partial to their hometeam, at least slightly. Clouding judgement? Probably. A bad thing? Hell no

2. Nothing is even close to gauranteed. The top 6 teams in the East have variables (Boston and unproven PLAYOFF goaltending, Tampa Bay and not a lot of playoff experience as a team, New Jersey with several injuries, Ottawa with Lalime + choking trend, Toronto with injuries and goaltending, Philadelphia with unproven playoff goaltending, injuries) that can all be overcome, and if all 6 times can, the Eastern teams are going to get physically maimed by each other in the 3 rounds. Quite frankly I hate each of those teams except Toronto (yes, I'm a homer. Bite it). However, I also know that all 6 of those teams have a pretty equal chance at winning the East. All 6 have relatively strong lineups, with question marks...but who doesn't? Every team in the playoff race has question marks. Everything in hockey has question marks

3. History is a valuable lesson, when it comes to individual play: Niewendyk being a valuable faceoff artist, Brodeur for solid goaltending, etc. However, IMO, history can be of some value for team play (Tendancies), but scores, stats in head-to-head games are pointless. Everything changes in the playoffs, teams change from game to game in terms of being 'up' for it, flus, injuries, luck, bounces....for individual play and some aspects of team play, history can teach alot...for everything, no, way too many variables in sports, and in this case hockey (duh), to base it for anything

4. Yes, I'm a die hard Leaf fan, hold that against me if you wish. I just tried to make this post as unbiased as possible, adn I think I came close to.