View Single Post
Old
08-23-2007, 03:28 PM
True Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
The lack of toughness does bother me. True, we have Orr, Hollweg and Avery...but other than them we're a pretty soft team.
I think that is not at all true. Lack of toughness as far as having several so-called enforcers? Sure. However, This year's version is anything but soft. At least as far as the forwards go. Having Orr, Hollweg, Callahan & Avery in the line-up, the team is not going to get pushed arund. Granted it is not like Callahan or Hollweg will be taking on the big boys, but they can handle themselves. And Avery and Orr are not in the "not tough" group. The addittions, Drury and Gomez, are certainly gritty players. Shanny, Prucha, Betts do not lack for grit either. And it is not like Straka is easily intimidated.

Overall, the forwards group is a gritty one. The defense can be soft. But that really covers the area of crease-clearing. I would not characterize Tyutin, Girardi or Roszsival as "soft". Is Rozsival tough as far as jaw-dropping hits? No. But the guy gained my respect with his performance in the playoffs on basically one leg. That's being tough. Mara was not contact-averse either.

I think that sometimes the definitions of tough and gritty are confused. From the point of Avery's arrival, the Rangers were often the initiators. And that spread from Avery to the rest of the team. For the last two months, this team was not pushed around. Adding the likes of Drury and Gomez only increases the grittiness of this team. I doubt that we will see the Rangers intimidated on most nights.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote