View Single Post
Old
03-11-2004, 04:40 PM
Park #2

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.I.RangerFan
Park#2, Edge or SOTI

Have you heard anything on the progress of signing RJ Umberger? I am curious because with Hartford's clear day being tomorrow, I was hoping he would be signed before then. Unless it doesn't matter if he is signed to be on the clear day roster.

I am soooo confused, probably due to my head still spinning from the last few days.

It's my understanding that the basic contract is on the table and and details are being sorted through. There's a basic agreement in place. I would be surprised if he is not signed by tomorrow or Friday.

The Brooks article is interesting, but there would be no way to garner a strong source on that type of info - that type of maneuver would need to be kept very quiet and now would be difficult - the NHL would surely investigate such a move. It would also be dangerous for Sather - let's say they go with the "Brooks scenario." Umberger could come in and play so well that he draws a ton of attention from other teams. That would force Sather to pay him twice as much or risk the possibility of losing him.