View Single Post
Old
03-13-2004, 12:31 AM
PecaFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nucks&flames
i better not get laughed at like poor guy who made the last thread regarding this. How can this team not be considered as a stanley cup contender? heres a question for you: who was more of a contender last year, detroit or anaheim? YEAH ANAHEIM I THOUGHT SO. They proved everyone wrong including me, who predicted them out in 4, first round breakfast food. Just like carolina the year before, washington a while back, etc., etc. This team has all the tools to be this years sleeper
You're confusing winning some games in the playoffs with "contender". Just because a team beats another doesn't make them a contender. Just as you said, the word for that is "sleeper".

And sleepers *never* win the Cup. Ever. Carolina and Washington were never a threat to win the Cup at all. Anaheim got closer than anyone ever before, on the strength of superhuman goaltending, and a lucky 7 for 7 in overtime.

Can Montreal go on a run, and win a series or two, maybe even three? By all means. But they're not a contender as long as they're in that 7th seed. The road is just too tough, no one has ever pulled it off.