Thread: Favorite Drills
View Single Post
Old
09-06-2007, 09:22 PM
XweekendwarriorX

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Goalie specific one of my favorites is an obstacle course type drill. the course would include section with lateral down drives, sculling, shimmying, hurdles and straight out speed skate to a finish line. Timed, these can bring out the competitive nature on a group of goalies.

My all time favorite was shown to me by Jukka Ropponen(goaliepro.com) several years ago. Its a sommersault drill. There are many variations to include a shot from any location and to any specific hole (1-7). The goalie can start from any position but I think it works best with the goalie in stance but facing into the net. The shooter would be at his mark with a puck Qued. Slapping his/her stick on hte ice starts the drill. The goalie would pivot around to front, complete a forward sommersault and regain their skates. On regaining their skates, the shooter would release a single snap shot to a predetermined hole. I have a video of the drill being performed. As soon as my new Sat modem gets here and I can upload again, I will post a link.

My second favorite would be having the goalies "double dutch" in full gear, on ice. Yes, jump rope to the extreme! lol I also have a video of this one...
I have to agree that goalies sometimes at thos young age get over looked and the focus is on the forwards and defense but a good 1 on 1 session with a good goalie coach or one who knows the basics well can do wonders for a goalie at that age. having played both goalie and defense for my high school(was 3rd goalie on roster) but 1st line d the coaches when i was young never worked with me at goalie not until i was around 10 or 11 i had 1 on 1 coaching sessions.

XweekendwarriorX is offline   Reply With Quote