Old
03-14-2004, 12:17 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

vCash: 500
I'm not convinced that Poti is here next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak
I have basically the same idea, but a little different.

Rucinsky-Holik-Jagr
Murray-Lundmark-Balej
Wiseman/Giroux-Moore-Barnaby
LaCouture-Betts-Ortmeyer

Tyutin-Rachunek
Lampman-Poti
Kaspar-Kondratiev

Dunham
McLennan

This is assuming that Rucinsky, Barnaby, and McLennan all want to return. I prefer D pairings where the vets are paired with young kids. A Kondratiev-Tyutin pairing just has too much potential to blow up on any given night. And I don't see Umberger (assuming he does sign here) making the team after taking a year off. He's still a bit of a project.

I think that team would do about as well as this year's team. Jagr and Holik alone should keep us out of the Crosby race (that's a mixed blessing). That team should finish in the bottom 5-10 with the young guys gaining lots of experience.
I could still see Mironov re-signed, and Poti used as trade bait on draft day. (I could also see Lundmark moved in the right deal IF Umberger is signed before then and the ranger use Lundmark as part of a deal to move up to get Ovechkin.) I don't like Tyutin and Rachunek together. Lampman seems more suited playing next Rachunek. I'm not convinced that a 33-year-old Rucinsky is better suited to this team than a 27-year-old Hlavac, especially with the 2nd wind Hlavac appears to be getting from playing next to Jagr. I would REALLY like to see Holik resume his rightful place as the defensive shutdown centers. Put him between Murray and Ortmeyer and watch them hit everything in sight. I also think Giroux, from most reports, has more offensive upside than Murray, so I could see him playing next to Lundmark and Balej.