TSN Central Division Preview
View Single Post
09-13-2007, 02:53 PM
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: about last summer.
Originally Posted by
The Jacket specific TSn preview states that Vyborny could leave for a better team or better contract soon.
I'm not surprised the Jackets aren't getting much respect. Even Jacket fans have no idea what the team will be like this year.
To quote another board member:
Light The Lamp has a great recap of the Jackets Town Hall meeting
Great comments from Priest and Howson, but it was Hitch's comments that really got me fired up...
Next up and the final speaker of the event was the head coach. Here is a summary of what he had to say:
* First thing he did was lose the mike - said its September and its "yelling stage now". (everyone got a good laugh out of that one)
* Said that he was in Canada at the airport counter (or something like that) and someone asked him what he did. He said he was a head coach for the Columbus Blue Jackets. At that point the woman looked at him silly and asked what was that? Hitch told her that he'd be back at this counter in a year's time and she'll know. Went on to explain that a franchise is made once they make the playoffs - that's where the attention is gained.
* He is in the winning business, not the development business. Scott Howson's job it to look at the big picture and his is the immediate picture and goal of winning now.
* 96 points got you in the playoffs last year and we were one win below .500 once he took over. Went on to say we were essentially one win a month out of the playoffs.
* Its not just about getting players into shape for the start of the season. His focus is to make sure they are in shape in May and June. Said the veterans have made significant changes to their bodies.
* Only 3 players haven't reported yet. The rest are here and already skating together.
* We are young in age but not in experience - basically saying since we have brought so many kids up early that although they are young they do have the NHL experience which is going to benefit us. Specifically referred to Klesla/Nash/Brule.
* Said there are no excuses any more. Said everyone is gonna have us ranked 15th or 16th in the conference - could care less about that. Said no one in the print or electronic media knows this team. He has talked to many players and management and they all said how much harder Columbus is to play against since the coaching change.
* No scrimmages in camp, no skating drills, no horsing around. Gonna start with two teams, give everyone a chance and then cut right down to the players who have a legit chance to make the team. In a hurry to get the team that will play the majority of the season together and working. Re-iterated though that everyone will get a chance.
* Every player that had issues, whether it be injuries, with the city, with management have all been resolved and are ready to go.
* His final message, the Columbus Blue Jackets are "gonna shock people".
See the Preds on Sunday. Woo hoo hockey!!!
Last edited by cbjgirl: 09-13-2007 at
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by cbjgirl