View Single Post
Old
03-15-2004, 12:38 AM
dulzhok

vCash: 500
I wish people would quit giving Vokoun crap and realize that our defense is a bottom 10 defense in the league. Our play in front of our own net is absolutely horrid. Our defenseman and forwards scramble like headless chikcens when people crash our net. Everybody tries to go into the goal and act like a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th goaltender. I wish they'd just play the man. Our only two defenseman that have any kind a raw physical strength (Hnidy and Allison) are extremely limited in their hockey ability. If teams were smart, they'd just crash our net relentlessly. Similar to what Thornton and the Bruins did the other night.

It seems like everybody expects Vokoun to be the best goaltender in the league (which he may have been through parts of last season and through earlier parts of this season). But no goaltender in the league plays like the best goaltender in the leage throughout the season. Marty Turco was horrible at the start of the year. Khabibulin was rumored to be traded because John Graham was outplaying him. Jean-Sebastien Giguere, after winning the Conn Smyth trophy and signing a huge-a$$ contract, has been a non-factor through most of this season.

As much as I want Vokoun to be the best goaltender in the league every game, it's not going to happen. I just don't like statements like "If Vokoun was playing (like the best goaltender in the league), we'd be entreched in a playoff spot."

Our defense is much more of a problem than Vokoun, IMO.

Defensive zone play: bottom 5-10 in the league
Offensive-zone play: Middle of the pack in the leage
Nuetral-zone play: Top 5-10 in the league
Goaltending: Top 10 in the league, on average