View Single Post
Old
03-14-2004, 11:53 PM
Evilo

vCash: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick
The teams who win their conference (Playoffs) titles get the 6 automatic bids. The remaining 10 spots are determined through a process called the Pairwise Rankings [PWR] (see link that Coolio posted).

If you're familiar with how the NCAA Football BCS system works (no matter how much it sucks), the PWR works similarly in some ways. In a nutshell, it's a formula that ranks teams based on (among others) things such as: strength of schedule, records in conference play and records versus ranked teams (conference or otherwise). The PWR at this time of year is updated daily. The PWR is usually NOT available until about midway thru the season, when the preliminary rankings come out. BC will likely earn one of the ten remaining spots because of their PWR bewing relatively high. However, because they are no longer able to win the Hockey East crown, they will likely get a "less desirable" matchup when the regionals and who plays who are announced next Sunday. Brown could be in a slightly different position depending upon what transpires over in the ECAC. If their PWR is high enough, they should get in, but at last check they looked like one of the "bubble" teams.....that is, they are close to not getting a bid and depending on what happens in some of the other conferences such as Hockey East, the CCHA and especially the hotly contested WCHA. With the strength of the WCHA teams, many (myself included) are predicting that the FF tourney will be quite WCHA-heavy this year, and that COULD pose a threat to Brown getting in, based on the PWR.

I hope that answers your question.
Thanks a lot!
I got it.