View Single Post
Old
09-17-2007, 11:18 PM
vexXed

vCash: 500
I think it's mainly a mental thing. When practicing in your garage or somewhere similar, you have all the time in the world to take your shot with your head up looking at your target. In a game situation there is hardly any time to do this and the mentality is to just get the shot off as quickly as possible so your head will be looking at the puck to make sure it just gets on net.

I reckon it's better to do that during certain situations - like when you have 2 defenders on you and looking up means you will lose the puck, plus the goalie won't expect it when you are looking down and you pull off a quick snap shot. Try to have a quick look at where to put your shot even if it is right at the goalie, then look back down again. Also, if your other forwards have crashed the net, they can get a rebound or deflection. I'm sure all of us have seen goals scored on weak shots just because it was taken at the right time. I've scored from the point a few times not even looking at the net and with lame 'under pressure' shots, but the goalie was screened.

When you actaully do have time in a game, try to think about shooting to score instead of just shooting. Look at the gaps and then conciously shoot towards it. Think to yourself *top left* or where ever and keep doing it until it becomes a habit.

vexXed is offline   Reply With Quote