Thread: Shootout?
View Single Post
Old
03-15-2004, 11:11 AM
tytech

vCash: 500
Shootout?

While I'm sure we all agree that playoffs is a different story and a shootout in playoff hockey would be a disgrace but I'm wondering what fellow flyer fans think about the regular season.

Ties are at an all time high. I think we should do a 4 on 4, 5 minute overtime like we do now except have a sudden death shootout after. Every team has one or two snipers these days and/or good goalies. I'm not with the 5 shooters thing after every tie but having sudden death where there are maybe 1 or two shooters each game would be fun. Whenever there is a penalty shot it makes the highlights regardless of the outcome, the fans all stand up, if I'm channel surfing I stop to watch. It's the most exciting play in sports. It won't make that much of a difference for regular season standings. Just gives the winning team an extra point but is genarally fair for all teams provided it's not 5 shooters. This way, instead of having Hull, Yzerman, Datsuyk, Shannahan and Lang shoot against Sullivan, Walker, Erat (who?), Legwand and Hartnell for example you'd have Lang vs Sullivan and it could be done with that. It sucks watching exciting 4 on 4 hockey for five whole minutes and then shutting the tv off and going to bed when neither team scores.

Pros/Cons?