View Single Post
Old
09-19-2007, 11:14 AM
LilWinger11

vCash: 500
The youngest kid I've ever seen on the ice was 16 months, but he couldn't stand up by himself, let alone skate- Dad was pushing him around. He had an ear-to-ear grin, though.

The youngest skaters I've ever had skate by themselves at all for me were 2 1/2 (this was a one-on-one private lesson situation) and 2 yrs 10 months (in a class of threes and fours, but she had been skating a few times with her dad before signing up for lessons). If you have access to a parent-tot class that's really geared toward 2-4 y.o, those are great; otherwise I'd take her yourself. Most twos and even a lot of threes aren't quite ready to go off and do something new like skating with a complete stranger and no parent. A lot of rinks require skaters to be three, if not four, for regular learn-to-skate classes anyway.

I usually suggest to parents of very young skaters that if they don't skate well themselves they inquire about private lessons for their child. Having an adult who's a wobbly skater tryinig to hold up a wobbly toddler can be dangerous- I've seen parents come very close to falling on top of their small children- but even a few lessons can usually get a very young skater marching and gliding well enough that they don't need to hang on someone.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote