Thread: Ryder
View Single Post
Old
03-15-2004, 07:05 PM
jonny5

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by whyteknight63
I do agree with you that "I'm just glad he's on the team and having an amazing season" and I agree with Darz that it is not important to Michael or his game BUT, although the award is given to a single person, it does reflect positively on the organization. I've always felt that the "Rookie of the Year" award was a team award because, although Michael Ryder is nominated, a SCOUT drafted him, a GM accepted the pick and several COACHES made him the player he is! Would he have developed the same way under Rejean Houle and Mario Tremblay? How about in Chicago? Nashville? Anywhere else?

It has been YEARS since the Habs have had a Rookie of the Year candidate, do any of you feel positively about the last 10 - 15 years? I know I don't. However, I am now starting to feel more positive about the organization's direction and chances of improvement (obviously since Savard, Timmins, Gainey, Gauthier and Jarvis came on board).

Why?

We have a Rookie of the Year candidate, a candidate for the Norris (before his injury) and one of the best goaltending tandems in the League. I do understand that individual awards are exactly that, an award given to a specific individual, BUT in this case, Ryder couldn't have done it without Gainey, Julien, Koivu, Zednik, Ribeiro, and a whole host of others who helped him hone his skills and attitude...

WK63
That is the whole reason why Ryder is focused on how well the team does, not himself individually. Believe me, he would be the first to agree with your comments about all who helped him, especially Julien. But he also acknowledges how Koivu and other players give him pointers about the game.