View Single Post
Old
03-15-2004, 08:05 PM
Kodiak

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park #2
ON your 1st point, if Ovechkin were in this situation he would likely come to Canada and play - not in Juniors but in minor league. As he would likely be lighting up the minor leagues with his scoring, pressure would mount on PIT as they would essentially be letting him rot there.

I said, I think they might even trade down from 6. And I don't think this player would play in Pittsburgh for 2-3 years whatever the case may be. In my scenario, Umberger and Lundmark would play in the NHL and they wouldn't have those type bonuses. They would make a combined 1.5 million or some similar figure (higher or smaller).

Revenue sharing is not going to help Pittsburgh. The question is how far in the hole they will be - not how financially stable they will be. They are a dead franchise until a new building or a move. That's the bottom line. The amount of money they lose per year is the only consideration right now.

I know you are skeptical, so let's see how it plays out.
Okay, we'll just wait and see. But I'd be surprised to see him dealt on draft day. To me, it looks like the Pens have everything to gain and nothing to lose by holding on to Ovechkin. If the new CBA helps them out enough, they'll have a future star. If it doesn't, 29 GMs will be falling over themselves making offers for this kid. But I do agree that they cannot let him play in another league (but I doubt he'd leave Europe without an NHL contract). Once NHL hockey resumes, they would have to make a decision.