View Single Post
Old
09-21-2007, 11:51 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
From what I can tell, there are no players on 2-way contracts will be subject to recall waivers: the two I thought would be are in fact exempt because they've each played more than 320 pro games [after including playoff games].
Not too surprising. The $75K (then $95K, now $100K) limit pretty much acted as a defacto salary cap - that's why the PHPA threatened to sue and the NHL/NHLPA added the minor league vet exception. Players below the minor league vet exception all pretty much sign for below the limit - otherwise they know they have no chance in hell of being called up. Veteran players have the luxury of the exception to demand a 2-way contract (or AHL contract) over the limit.

I assume you did check for the 40/80 NHL games qualifier for those two players.

The only time I expect to see a two-way player subject to recall waivers is the rare case of an over the limit minor league vet who loses his exemption by being recalled and playing too many NHL games and then being sent back down - of course in that case he would also be subject to normal waivers when sent down.

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote