Thread: Brian Leetch...
View Single Post
Old
03-15-2004, 11:13 PM
Marchy79

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak
I disagree. Leetch is my all-time favorite player, but I knew that moving him was what was best for the franchise. That doesn't mean it still didn't feel like a kick to the gut when I first heard the news.

What was wrong was that Slats would move Leetch "for the good of the organization" and then let Mess veto any possible deal. I won't forget what Mess did for us in 94, but Leetch never walked out on this team. He deserves more respect than Mess.
I also agree that Immonen, Kondratiev, the first (2004) and second (2005) will be great for the future success of the Rangers... That definately can't be disputed... But losing a player who was truly the heart and soul for the Rangers for the past decade and a 1/2 meant a lot as well...

But when a player plays his entire career in one city... A different lore goes on his legend. We've had many pass through Montreal that played their whole career there, and they mean a whole lot to the history of the franchise... A guy like Leetch will probably go back to the rangers when his contract is done (or when he retires) to go to their front office. But to me, Leetch deserved to have the honour of wearing one jersey his entire career... He wasn't itching to go to a contender, he already proved he's one of the best that played... To me, the one thing left in his career was having the one last honour, and that was to bring the Rangers back out of the ashes... and be a part of Rangers, and only the Rangers history.

Either way, he'll be responsible for bringing the Rangers back... But I guess it's just a sentimentality issue that some guys should be deemed priceless after they have accomplished everything there is to do in a city.