Old
03-16-2004, 08:16 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

vCash: 500
I would like nothing more than to see no UFA get signed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
You wrote what I was thinking as I was reading this thread, Kodiak. Can't believe that some people have already picked out the thirtysomething mercenaries they want.
And, I have my doubts to exactly how many will actually come here. However, the one area where this team could use a short term upgrade is in goal. This way, neither Lundquist or Blackburn is put into a difficult situation of being rushed. (This was why I had my opposition to drafting Blackburn in the first place - most young goalies take a long time to develop properly.) So, if a Khabibulin becomes available, and Sather could sign him to a 2-3 year deal, then I be okay with that. OTOH, I don't see the point of adding five to six players upfront. You are already bringing back Kasparitis, and with Rachunek, Tyutin and Lampman, there are four out of the top six spots filled. (I am flat out begging Sather to deal Poti on draft day.) Give Kondratiev a shot to make the team, keep guys like Grenier and Bouchard around, and maybe re-sign Mironov. If you don't re-sign Mironov, then I guess poti sticks around. And, as for upfront, aside from maybe Barnaby, i'd love to see not only Balej and Murray make the team next year, but also, Giroux, Umberger and Betts. the only player I'd have interest in signing as a UFA would be Rolston, since he is a versatile player who skates well, kills penalties and can play the point on the PP if needed. I've always liked his game. I could see Jagr carrying a first line with the likes of Umberger and a Murray or Giroux by himself. And I'd put Holik at checking center. I don't want to see a Rucinsky or Simon brought back, Lindros re-signed or a Zhamnov brought in. I'd rather let the young players develop as a core and gain chemistry.